HELP!!! Hip pain...

Options
Hi I have been dieting and exercising since september and apart from the odd muscular aches after going to the gym ect Its all been fine.

I have run in the past and had no problems I dont run long distances about 4 km max at a time. I take multi vits and recently started getting hipo pain in both hips. Its like a toothache and constantly there. Not excruciating but uncomfortable at times.

I have just lost 59lbs and am lighter than I have been in years I am about 12 lbs overweight now. Does anyone also get it or can give me any tips to get rid of it or avaoid agravating further...

Do you think its running related??? Please help!!!

Thanks Luan x

Replies

• XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    No idea. Bumping you for answers! Zara x
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It could be a multitude of things, so get checked out by your doctor. I find if you ask questions like this on here you'll get diagnoses from bone problems to muscle damage or anything in between! I have hip pain and back pain because of a lack of core muscle strength which I'm gradually working on with physiotherapists, but before that I'd had it for 3 years and been told so many different things, from hip dysplasia to scoliosis!!

Have a doctor take a look and ask to be referred for physiotherapy. Those guys know their stuff and they can often take one look at your posture and tell you what the issue is. In the meantime try some exercises to help build core strength and work your glutes and see if that helps improve things.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    personaly i would get it checked out by a doctor
  • rosalang
    rosalang Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    running does cause damage in some people to hips. maybe you are just overdoing it or need to change to a different exercise and maybe a low impact one
    ive had both hips replaced but i am 62 but was told when i was 40 i needed to have them replaced.
    i would recomend low impact exercise to anyone who is having joint problems and i am an x nurse
    good luck
  • kuhndog61
    kuhndog61 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Agree with other posters about getting it checked out.

When I personally have hip pain it is because I do not stretch enough. Do you stretch? Also, I may be out of line with my spine. A lot of people don't believe in chiropractors but I do. Sometimes after a loss like you've had (congrats btw) their spine "shifts" and gets out of line. Runners and people on the ellipticals are notorious for having IT band tightness (per my massage therapist). I do not run but use the elliptical frequently and constantly have to watch this.

Good luck. Do you get massages?
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Agreed, could be anything from bursitis, to IT band tightness, to tight hip flexors (I've had/have all three, lol from running/elliptical/lifting), to probably a wide variety of other issues. See your doctor. In the meantime, stretching is a great idea. Good luck! Hip pain is a drag...
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should check this out!

I always had hip pain then I walked long distances and ran.

My trainer worked on strengthening my core muscles (lower abs, back and sides) and I did heaps of squats. After this I no longer had any hip discomfort as my core helped carry the load.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Thankyou fitness buddies for your words and theory... I dont want to stop running because I have been enjoying it. Also I dont want to make it worse. I think I will go to occupational health at work and ask them for a physio refferal.

Thankyou again x