Weight Gain

Options
Ok so, i've been doing my plan now for 3 weeks and so far have lost 8 pounds. I did my 'unofficial weigh in' (i weigh myself officially to record on a thursday) and have gained a pound. When I mentioned this to my bf this morning he said it could be that my program contains weights and it could be muscle gain rather than weight gain.

Has anyone else had this happen to them and if it is muscle gain, how do i continue to lose weight and gain muscle without the number on my scales going up?

Its such a disappointment to see that scale move up, regardless of why it is and i really dont want to lose the motivation i get from seeing the number get smaller.

Any advice would be really appreciated on this.

Replies

• talamer
    talamer Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happen to me exactly! so you don't need to worry about it.
    it is all because you are burning your fat and gaining more muscles.
    you will need more time to get the results you need.

the same thing happen to me when I started lifting to strength my body and get it in shape. I gained around 2-3 lbs. but now after 1 month of exercising, my wieght started to go down again and I lost that pounds!

hopefully this helps you to encouraging you instead of disappointment.. :happy:
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi, It is said that you fluctuate on a daily basis so to get an accurate scale reading you should only take the reading on the same day at around the same time once a week - so like me I weigh on a Monday morning around 7am every week - anything in between is not accurate - so don't get disheartened
    Hope this helps :happy:
  • talamer
    talamer Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Hi, It is said that you fluctuate on a daily basis so to get an accurate scale reading you should only take the reading on the same day at around the same time once a week - so like me I weigh on a Monday morning around 7am every week - anything in between is not accurate - so don't get disheartened
    Hope this helps :happy:

I totally agree with you :) , I wish i could do the same. I weight my self everyday unfortunately!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It may be an increase in lean muscle mass (muscle is denser than fat hence the needle on the scale not moving) but it could also be water weight.

After exercising the body's natural response is to replenish the glycogen stored in your muscles to prepare for the next workout. For every gram of glycogen stored your muscles also retain 3g of water.

Don't fixate over + or - 1lb.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and can gain and lose 2-3 lbs overnight, completely normal to fluctuate. Pick one day a week and use that as your official weigh in day always and just laugh at the scale the rest of the week. Great job on your loss so far
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    what is your tape measure telling you?
    personally my daily flucuation is anywhere between 2-3 KG and since i started lifting for a while the scales didnt budge my the tape measure went ballistic loosing cm's left right and thank god the centre (;

also i saw a picture today of 5kg of fat sitting next to 5kg of muscle and the muscle was at least half the size of the fat, so try not to fret about the scales, remember before the nasty self talk starts up to consult the tape measure, it could alway be that your body decided it needed to hang on to that water more then your kidneys wanted to flush it(;