obesity and eating exercise cals back

Options
Okay, i have read all the posts on tdee and eating exercise cals back and waht im wondering is if that applies to someone who is obese. Im 5' 5" and last i checked i weighed 182, and after i wasnt able to lose weight by eating 1500 cals(or exercise without feeling like id pass out!) i decided to eat some more exercise cals back. After netting much closer to my bmr for about 4-5 weeks i feel like like i have more enegy, yes, but i feel ive actually gained a couple of inches (dont know about weight, ive ditched my scale). My clothes are tighter ang, gulp, my legs are rubbing together again!
Im torn bc i dont know if, being obese, i need to net less than my bmr in the beginning to jump start weight loss, or if i just need to be more patient and net my bmr. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Replies

• jenniferret
    jenniferret Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    good question and i am curious about this answer too...
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    bump, good question
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are calculation calories consumed and burned, then you will lose your goal amount of weight on average/week, by eating your exercise calories.

Make sure you are using HRM or other device for cals burned from exercise (if you are using MFP or the machine estimates only eat 60-75% of them). To track what you eat properly weigh solid foods and measure liquids, otherwise you may be underestimating your caloric intake.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I started at morbidly obese and I've ALWAYS eaten my exercise cals back. Always. Didn't slow me down.

Have you taken measurements?
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I'd try to get a weigh in personally. I've been told by my dietitian to eat 1500 and noot eat exercise calories back but I'm still 248lbs so big difference in weights! I know as I loose more I need to eat more, so for you if I'm honest I'm not too sure. X
  • lokin4deer
    lokin4deer Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    good question and i am curious about this answer too...

Me too!
  • tinam76
    tinam76 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    please someone answer this i was wondering about the calories burned and eating them too. if we have to burn more than we take in does it mean the 1200 calories my body needs i have to burn more than than that to lose weight or burn anything over the 1200 helppppp
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Started off on MFP as obese, and only recently just overweight. I have always eaten back at least 50% of my exercise calories and have lost steadily.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    You don't need to complicate things to much, MFP has made it simple for everyone to follow. I have lost over 20 kgs just following MFP's suggested calories and just walking on the treadmill. I eat most, if not all my exercise cals back.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    please someone answer this i was wondering about the calories burned and eating them too. if we have to burn more than we take in does it mean the 1200 calories my body needs i have to burn more than than that to lose weight or burn anything over the 1200 helppppp

eating 1200 will lead to weight loss on days you don't workout, this gives your body that may need over 2000 cals some fuel to live on, when you workout and don't eat them back you take away calories that your body needs to live on.

If you burn 400 cals from exercise and only eat 1200, that is like eating 800 cals on days you don't exercise, which is not enough to fuel your body. if you burn 400, the minimum you should eat would be 1600 that way your body still gets its 1200 cals (1600-400)
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    OP, I was like you, I'm 5'5" and 180 lbs. I was and am losing weight eating my exercise calories back, the main thing it see what kinds of foods you're eating. Are they healthy? Another thing that really helped me is tracking my sodium intake, that makes me bloat so bad and the water weight I lost keeping it in check is worth it. I also ditched most of my soda, I drink mostly water with the occasional diet soda mabye one or two times a week. I also drink another kinds of soda water called Clear American, it's sold at walmart. It's carbonated water with fruit flavors, and it's no calories no sodium no sugar.
    My current calorie goal is 1300, I try to atleast net around there. I use a HRM, to determine my exercise calories burned. When I didn't have one I looked a lot of information up online, the calories burned for some things seemed a little off using the MFP expectations.
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options

MFP already has you at a calorie deficit (500 + calories, depending on your goals) for weight loss. That's why they say to eat back your exercise calories.
  • tnrown87
    tnrown87 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • JoeD1968
    JoeD1968 Posts: 167
    Options
    something doesn't sound right here.
    are you accurate on calories input?
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    If you tell MFP that you are wanting to lose 1lb a week and you are also honest about the type of lifestyle you live (sedentary, lightly active, etc) then it automatically sets a deficit of 500 a day(3500 a week) to lose the specified weight.

Now If you are set to lose 2lbs a week it will automatically set you to a 100 calorie deficit.

If you are eating 1500 calories and you have an accurate way of measuring the calories you burn with exercise(heart rate monitor) then you need to be eating enough to NET 1500 calories. MFP has already set you at a deficit to lose weight and you need to eat the exercise calories back in order to fuel your body.

Not eating enough calories can actually be a detriment to weight loss.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 3 and started out at 179lbs so I know how you feel. Yes, you can eat some of your calories back. I don't always, but if I'm hungry I eat something. I have lost 30lbs since January doing this and I have TONS more energy and I'm happier! Also, a few times when I have gotten in a slump, plateau, whatever,, I will work out a little harder and eat more protein and measure, measure, measure myself. Sometimes you will lose fat and gain muscle mass and it is denser than fat, therefore it weighs more. If the scale hasn't budged, measure yourself and you may be surprised. Also, maybe you started out working out too hard? You need to do something that you will stick with. Start out walking for 15-30 minutes. Gradually add a little more time and pick up the speed. When I first started I had calf cramps, plantar fasciitis, the thigh rubbing, etc. but it was worth it. There is a solution to every problem. Many people have been through the same thing and you can find most info on past forums on here.(You'll get some advice you don't want, just to warn you, lol) I had the same thigh rubbing problem myself and had to use GLIDE. It's a stick shaped in a deodorant-like container that your rub on anywhere you have chafing. It feels a little gummy but once you start sweating you dont really notice it. It was GODSEND for me. Also, I wear Nike running shorts with the underwear built into them. They keep you cooler and are comfier. All I'm doing is walking for now and staying within my calories on here. Later, I'll add strength training. And like I said earlier, if you have exercise calories leftover and you are hungry, EAT! You will still lose weight. And... like someone else on here posted,, weigh, measure and add EVERY single calorie you are putting into your mouth. They add up and add up fast! YOU can do this. I know you can!
  • sabawden
    sabawden Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    thanks for everyone's input. Yes, i do weigh everything i eat and i wear a hrm when doing most exercises (dont wear it for walks around the neighborhood). feel free to take a peak at my diary. i avoid many processed foods, but do enjoy desserts and try to fit it into my daily net cals. (FYI, i was on a business trip last week, so that's not a great place to start viewing my foods).
    i weighed about the same a couple of years ago, went on phentermine and lost 24lbs in about 4 months and felt great, so i know i can do it, but want to do it without phentermine this time.

OP, I was like you, I'm 5'5" and 180 lbs. I was and am losing weight eating my exercise calories back, the main thing it see what kinds of foods you're eating. Are they healthy? Another thing that really helped me is tracking my sodium intake, that makes me bloat so bad and the water weight I lost keeping it in check is worth it. I also ditched most of my soda, I drink mostly water with the occasional diet soda mabye one or two times a week. I also drink another kinds of soda water called Clear American, it's sold at walmart. It's carbonated water with fruit flavors, and it's no calories no sodium no sugar.
    My current calorie goal is 1300, I try to atleast net around there. I use a HRM, to determine my exercise calories burned. When I didn't have one I looked a lot of information up online, the calories burned for some things seemed a little off using the MFP expectations.
  • sabawden
    Options
    i wonder if my bmr calc is off then b/c that's what most people keep saying.
    and yes my measurements have gone up a bit, unfortunately. i mean, im staying positive...there is always time and despite my weight i am healthy, but its still frustrating.
    thanks for the replies!
    I started at morbidly obese and I've ALWAYS eaten my exercise cals back. Always. Didn't slow me down.

Have you taken measurements?
  • sabawden
    Options
    yes, that is the one thing i am certain on (i weigh everything and put in all my meals into mfp the day before). im wondering if either my calculated tdee/ bmr are just not "normal" and ive have been basing this off a calculation that isnt right for me. is that possible?
    something doesn't sound right here.
    are you accurate on calories input?
  • sabawden
    Options
    thank you for your insight! i do often walk 45-60 min (try to do this several days a week) and do enjoy it but i wonder if i need to be pushing myself more. i can also ask mfp to set my weight loss to 2lbs/week and like you said, if im hungry, eat.
    I'm 5ft 3 and started out at 179lbs so I know how you feel. Yes, you can eat some of your calories back. I don't always, but if I'm hungry I eat something. I have lost 30lbs since January doing this and I have TONS more energy and I'm happier! Also, a few times when I have gotten in a slump, plateau, whatever,, I will work out a little harder and eat more protein and measure, measure, measure myself. Sometimes you will lose fat and gain muscle mass and it is denser than fat, therefore it weighs more. If the scale hasn't budged, measure yourself and you may be surprised. Also, maybe you started out working out too hard? You need to do something that you will stick with. Start out walking for 15-30 minutes. Gradually add a little more time and pick up the speed. When I first started I had calf cramps, plantar fasciitis, the thigh rubbing, etc. but it was worth it. There is a solution to every problem. Many people have been through the same thing and you can find most info on past forums on here.(You'll get some advice you don't want, just to warn you, lol) I had the same thigh rubbing problem myself and had to use GLIDE. It's a stick shaped in a deodorant-like container that your rub on anywhere you have chafing. It feels a little gummy but once you start sweating you dont really notice it. It was GODSEND for me. Also, I wear Nike running shorts with the underwear built into them. They keep you cooler and are comfier. All I'm doing is walking for now and staying within my calories on here. Later, I'll add strength training. And like I said earlier, if you have exercise calories leftover and you are hungry, EAT! You will still lose weight. And... like someone else on here posted,, weigh, measure and add EVERY single calorie you are putting into your mouth. They add up and add up fast! YOU can do this. I know you can!