% on HRM

Options
Quick question --

I've been using a HRM (heart rate monitor) for a bit and I was trying to explain something to my husband about it and suddenly realized I didn't know the answer for sure myself! When it shows me working out at 181 or 92%, what is that percentage for? I assume the 181 is beats per minute I've got currently, but I am not sure ... 92% of what?

Thanks for the advice :) I can't seem to find the info paper on my HRM anywhere now, lol.

Replies

• lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I think it is 92% of your max heart rate. Hopefully others will help out to see if that's right or not. :smile:
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    Yes it is 92% of your max (but only the generic max set by the manufacturer or "rule of thumb"). You may not actually know your true max without a cardio-treadmill test.
  • visiologist
    Options
    The generic way to ESTIMATE your max heart rate is to subtract your age from 220.

I am 46 so my max is theoretically around 174.

If 181 is 92% of your max I can reverse-engineer your age and... oh my, you're a young one aren't you?

:wink:

Mike
  • pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 :) Not that young :\

So the estimate is 220 - 29, so 191. Interesting. Thanks for all of the help everyone :)