Starvation Mode??

Chuck1223
Chuck1223 Posts: 68 Member
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
Can someone more smarter than me explain 'starvation mode' to me?

Will this put one in a situation were weight loss slows or stops?
Will the body take protein from lean muscle, causing overall weakness?
What, if any, adverse reactions could be manifested?

I typically eat to within 100-150 of my total calories daily. I've been losing weight at
a rate of 1lb a week. I do, however, have diffilculty in consuming the eight 8oz of water everyday.
Any insight on 'starvation mode' will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    What they mean by starvation mode is that if you are consuming too few calories, your body will think that it is not getting enough energy and it will "self-conserve." Your metabolism will slow, and your fat stores will want to preserve themselves to prepare for a long fast. The body thinks that it is starving. In effect your weight will remain stable; no weight loss.

I think only under extreme circumstances would the body start eating protein/muscle mass, but this does happen in extreme circumstances or when fat stores have been depleted. This would certainly cause muscle weakness.

That is why it is important to eat your recommended calories and try not to go too far under. 100-200 cals under is fine, I think starvation mode would only affect you if your net calorie intake was way below recommended (like under 1,000). Hope this helps!
  • yessie75
    yessie75 Posts: 152
    I got a message today after logging in all my meals, I'm under by 300+ calories! I'm too full to eat anything else. Would this make me go on starvationm mode? Those calories were earned during my workout.
  • Chuck1223
    Chuck1223 Posts: 68 Member
    COURTNEY THANKYOU FOR THE INFORMATION. KIND OF ALONG THE LINES THAT I WAS THINKING.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I got a message today after logging in all my meals, I'm under by 300+ calories! I'm too full to eat anything else. Would this make me go on starvationm mode? Those calories were earned during my workout.

It takes longer than a day, but it's best (IMHO, experience) to not make that a consistent habit.:flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member

I think only under extreme circumstances would the body start eating protein/muscle mass, but this does happen in extreme circumstances or when fat stores have been depleted. This would certainly cause muscle weakness.

This is a little inaccurate. The body doesn't think in terms of an on/off switch for burning protein. It doesn't start burning protein at a certain level. The body is always constantly evaluating what the best source of fuel is, and (as to the best of medical science's current knowledge), there is almost always some level of protein being burned by the body, the amount depends on a very complex series of hormones, brain function, fuel intake, and metabolic rate increases and decreases.

Even when we aren't in starvation there is a certain percentage of amino acid conversion (protein burn). This increases when we are in caloric deficit. You combat this by adding muscle building activity into your routine. 2 days of moderate weight training or resistance exercises should keep your muscle levels in balance for most people. But this protein burn goes up the deeper into the famine response our body gets.

There is a misconception that if you are in starvation mode, you won't lose weight, that's not true. You WILL lose weight, BUT it will usually come slower, also you most likely will GAIN fat %, and you almost always loose lean tissue (muscle and tendon) and bone density. So while you may still lose weight on a diet that is below what your body feels is healthy, you are also making yourself less healthy (this doesn't even take into effect all the medical conditions that can eventually happen to you).
  • MonicaRod
    MonicaRod Posts: 56

This is a little inaccurate. The body doesn't think in terms of an on/off switch for burning protein. It doesn't start burning protein at a certain level. The body is always constantly evaluating what the best source of fuel is, and (as to the best of medical science's current knowledge), there is almost always some level of protein being burned by the body, the amount depends on a very complex series of hormones, brain function, fuel intake, and metabolic rate increases and decreases.

Even when we aren't in starvation there is a certain percentage of amino acid conversion (protein burn). This increases when we are in caloric deficit. You combat this by adding muscle building activity into your routine. 2 days of moderate weight training or resistance exercises should keep your muscle levels in balance for most people. But this protein burn goes up the deeper into the famine response our body gets.

There is a misconception that if you are in starvation mode, you won't lose weight, that's not true. You WILL lose weight, BUT it will usually come slower, also you most likely will GAIN fat %, and you almost always loose lean tissue (muscle and tendon) and bone density. So while you may still lose weight on a diet that is below what your body feels is healthy, you are also making yourself less healthy (this doesn't even take into effect all the medical conditions that can eventually happen to you).

THANKS BANKS!! you are ALWAYS so informative...i look forward to your posts every time i log on.

Thanks again for your input :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.