Low Blood Sugar??

Does anyone else find themselves having trouble with low blood sugar when eating healthier and exercising?? How do you deal with it??

I'm looking for ideas because this happens to me often, my docs are aware of it! I have been tested for Diabetes, as it runs in both sides of my family...if they are over 35 about 95% have it....I always come up borderline/pre-diabetic. I am at a reasonable weight (5'5" 138lbs) and eat pretty good (my diary is open), I also workout 6 days a week. Yesterday around lunch time I started getting really sweaty, I was shaking to were I could not write, had nausea, and could hardly see...I went home from work and the hubs called our doctor who had him feed me jellybeans, then I ate pizza...within a hour I was feeling better! I'm going back to do blood work in about a month. :)

Any tips on how to avoid that would be great?? I was told to carry glucose pills with me but I'm curious what works for others?? Thanks in advance!! :)

Replies

• I also have low blood sugar and find that if I even eat fruit within 30 min I'm really to faint. I can't seem to go more than 2 hours without eating before I feel faint. Eating candy (jellybeans) doesn't seem to help, makes it worse. I carry the "100" calorie almonds with me every where. You get a good carb and good protien so your insulin won't shoot up. Hope this helps
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Yep, and I am diabetic. So I have to check my sugars regularly and have reduced my insulin tremendously!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Thanks guys...I usually eat every 4 hours but I think I'm going to split my snacks in half to make it every 2 hours. :)
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Hypoglycemia is often a precursor to diabetes. It shows your body has an abnormal response to controlling sugars. Sadly, my 19 yo daughter goes hypo. I was diagnosed T2 at 34 even though I was a normal weight and exercised a lot. I also have it on both sides of my family.

One thing that she has found is that reducing her carb consumption has helped with it. She is thinking that if she eats lots of carbs sometimes her body over reacts and pumps out the insulin. She found that a moderate carb diet reduced her episodes.

Have they given you a meter? I don't think it is very easy to go dangerously low without being on insulin/drugs but to be safe, you want to know what your readings are. If you are getting below 40 that can be very dangerous. There is also something called a false low. I have gotten those when my glucose is in the 90s (that's still above normal) because my body has gotten used to being much higher (my body fluctuates in its ability to function and I can end up running around 165 for weeks at a time). So your body perceives it is low even though it is technically fine.

The other reason you want to be testing regularly is that since your test (I assume A1C) is showing you as borderline diabetic but you are having lows they may be averaging out to a decent A1C. The reality is, you may be jumping between 75 and 200 and so your average is working out to not look too bad.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Hypoglycemia is often a precursor to diabetes. It shows your body has an abnormal response to controlling sugars. Sadly, my 19 yo daughter goes hypo. I was diagnosed T2 at 34 even though I was a normal weight and exercised a lot. I also have it on both sides of my family.

One thing that she has found is that reducing her carb consumption has helped with it. She is thinking that if she eats lots of carbs sometimes her body over reacts and pumps out the insulin. She found that a moderate carb diet reduced her episodes.

Have they given you a meter? I don't think it is very easy to go dangerously low without being on insulin/drugs but to be safe, you want to know what your readings are. If you are getting below 40 that can be very dangerous. There is also something called a false low. I have gotten those when my glucose is in the 90s (that's still above normal) because my body has gotten used to being much higher (my body fluctuates in its ability to function and I can end up running around 165 for weeks at a time). So your body perceives it is low even though it is technically fine.

The other reason you want to be testing regularly is that since your test (I assume A1C) is showing you as borderline diabetic but you are having lows they may be averaging out to a decent A1C. The reality is, you may be jumping between 75 and 200 and so your average is working out to not look too bad.

The other day when I had a "spell" I was at 54, my husband is a diabetic and has a meter...I actually use it more then he does LOL...thats why he called the docs for me. :) He said he knew because I was mumbling and staggering. Thank you though, I will try less carbs....like I said I am due for a appointment soon so I'm going to show them what Im eating, and I have been keeping notes like times and how I feel just to give them a idea! :)