Lifting Gloves

Options
What do you ladies that lift wear on your hands?
I have a pair of gloves right now that aren't cutting it. They seem to protect every finger but my middle one.
Do you use tape? GLoves?
Now that I'm lifting even heavier it's hard to get a good grip on the dumbells.
Any suggestions?
Steph:flowerforyou:

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Gloves make your grip slightly weaker. If you need to, use a little chalk (bare hands, no gloves)
  • fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    the gloves work for me
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Gloves make your grip slightly weaker. If you need to, use a little chalk (bare hands, no gloves)

I'm also trying to prevent calluses.
    I still want my hands to be soft and girly.....
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

booooooooooo calluses FTW!!
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I buy the lifting gloves from a sports store.
  • smuehlbauer
    Options

booooooooooo calluses FTW!!

Wow- thank you for the helpful comment!
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    you could also use a pumice stone on your palms after working out....anyone who works out (guy or gal) need to take care so as not to rip a calluse, then the workout will REALLY suck!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I have some Harbinger gloves that I really like. I used to lift without gloves and I like the feel of no gloves, but I'm a girl and the calluses are no good for us ladies. I tend to be a tomboy but now that I want to get into fitness modeling I have to think of these things, so I now wear the gloves and I like them.

Also, I lift pretty heavy so I like straps or hooks described here: http://www.musclehack.com/are-weight-lifting-hooks-better-than-straps/

The straps take longer to wrap around the bar so aren't so great if you are doing a circuit. I had a pair of hooks like the author is using by Harbinger and I really liked them but the hook is thick and you have to sort of push it off to the side of your hand because with small hands you can't get a good grip around it, but I loved those hooks and I recently wore them out. They lasted about 6 months but that is because I use them a lot (curtsy lunges, lunges, bulgarian split squats, T-bends/one legged deadlifts, dead lifts, bend barbell row). I think I'm going to get a pair of the hooks the author said looks better.
  • smuehlbauer
    Options
    I have some Harbinger gloves that I really like. I used to lift without gloves and I like the feel of no gloves, but I'm a girl and the calluses are no good for us ladies. I tend to be a tomboy but now that I want to get into fitness modeling I have to think of these things, so I now wear the gloves and I like them.

Also, I lift pretty heavy so I like straps or hooks described here: http://www.musclehack.com/are-weight-lifting-hooks-better-than-straps/

The straps take longer to wrap around the bar so aren't so great if you are doing a circuit. I had a pair of hooks like the author is using by Harbinger and I really liked them but the hook is thick and you have to sort of push it off to the side of your hand because with small hands you can't get a good grip around it, but I loved those hooks and I recently wore them out. They lasted about 6 months but that is because I use them a lot (curtsy lunges, lunges, bulgarian split squats, T-bends/one legged deadlifts, dead lifts, bend barbell row). I think I'm going to get a pair of the hooks the author said looks better.

Thank you!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I am using mainly kettlebells right now, and they are way harder on my hands than a barbell or dumbbells, but I have pretty much come to the conclusion that using chalk to keep my hands dry and building up callouses is the only way to keep from injuring my hands again and again (I do file them down a few times a week to keep from ripping them off when I lift). I have tried many different types of gloves, tape, moleskin, socks, etc., and nothing has helped.

Part of my problem is that my hands are very small, so even the small women's gloves are too big, and they just slide around and rub against my hands anyway. The best pair of gloves I have tried were Bionic Fitness. They are very well padded, and I think they would be fine for standard lifting, but not for kettlebells. I got mine at ****'s Sporting Goods.
  • spartacus69
    spartacus69 Posts: 235
    Options
    Take a look at Versa-Gripps. A little expensive, but they have the functionality of both wrap-around grips and gloves. Much more convenient than wraps, too - takes no extra time at all to wrap them around a bar. I use them like wraps for heavy pulling exercises (deadlifts, barbell rows) and as wrist support for push exercises (bench press, military press.)

They also come in various sizes.

(Hope you don't mind a suggestion from a guy! ;) )
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    I found these at the Sports Authority for $30

http://www.amazon.com/Bionic-Womens-Fitness-Gloves-Medium/dp/B0018ZQ726/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1330178221&sr=8-3

At first, I thought $30 was a lot for gloves, but I would SO buy these again. :)

Calluses and blisters are not for me
  • smuehlbauer
    Options
    Take a look at Versa-Gripps. A little expensive, but they have the functionality of both wrap-around grips and gloves. Much more convenient than wraps, too - takes no extra time at all to wrap them around a bar. I use them like wraps for heavy pulling exercises (deadlifts, barbell rows) and as wrist support for push exercises (bench press, military press.)

They also come in various sizes.

(Hope you don't mind a suggestion from a guy! ;) )

Of course I don't mind.
    Thank you!