Strength Training and Calories

Strength training has the potential to burn more calories than Cardio when using HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). It can also burn a lot fewer calories when using the "I go to the gym to meet people and while I'm there I lift a few weights" method. Basically - there can be a huge difference in the calories burned.

OK, I get that. Entering Cardio exercises automatically adds the estimated calories burned to your diet plan, but Strength Training does not. Why? Why can't I enter an estimate for the calories burned during Strength Training without "cheating the system" and adding Cardio just to get the calories reflected in the Diet Diary?

Bottom Line: Can you add the ability to enter at least a "Total calories burned:" entry for Strength Training? (or did I miss this somewhere?)

Fact: Over an extended period of time (typically more than 2 months) Strength Training at a moderate to high intensity level does more to reduce body fat than Cardio!

Replies

• Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    I entered a custom "cardio" exercise - "Weights - via HRM" - and just plug in the time and calories burned that are reported on my HRM. I favor weights over cardio and although I don't get the same "burn" per hour, I believe I come out on top due to building muscle in and increasing my overall BMR. Use a HRM, it takes out all the guess work!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    The reason it's not there is there are too many variables. Lbs your lifting and your strength is one ( me lifting 5lbs and someone else my exact height and weight lifting 5 lbs but in better shape, completely different).

I just do a custom entry under cardio.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Under "cardio", I found a "Calisthenics (pushups, situps) Vigorous Effort" entry - I just use that and try to guess at calories based on how much I'm sweating (if I'm sweating a lot, I leave it at the default, otherwise I reduce the calories by up to half).
  • I entered a custom "cardio" exercise - "Weights - via HRM" - and just plug in the time and calories burned that are reported on my HRM. I favor weights over cardio and although I don't get the same "burn" per hour, I believe I come out on top due to building muscle in and increasing my overall BMR. Use a HRM, it takes out all the guess work!

I do this same thing. I entered custom workouts "ex: chest and triceps" under cardio and I enter the cals burned there. My Mio watch broke but I still have a decent idea of what I'm burning there.
  • I do the same. Take calories burned from my HRM and enter under cardio.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Under cardio there is an option called Strength training (weight lifting, weight training). I don't think it's very accurate, so I use my Bodymedia Fit, and I used to use an HRM. If you don't have either you could log it under the cardio selection.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Before i bought an HRM, i would do my strength training in supersets.....little to no rest in between.......and log it under "Circuit Training" since that is in the data base....
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    I don't enter my strength training. Only cardio. That gives me less calories to eat which is better for me to lose weight. I do about half and half cardio and strength, so by only putting in my cardio, I eat back about half my exercise calories. This works well for me.
  • usc2626
    usc2626 Posts: 186
    The reason it's not there is there are too many variables. Lbs your lifting and your strength is one ( me lifting 5lbs and someone else my exact height and weight lifting 5 lbs but in better shape, completely different).

I just do a custom entry under cardio.

^^^This.

I know many, including myself, which just figure their TDEE and customize goals accordingly. Doing this, I have a set TDEE every day and average around the same even on rest days. Like anything else you have to tinker with it a bit to find what works but it's been working great for me so far. This way I don't have to worry about logging exercise each time I do it I just stay around my set TDEE every day.