Haven't lost in 2 weeks

Options
2»

Replies

• jjstaten
    jjstaten Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ok, Here is an update on my measurements over the last 30 days. It's ok but not that great.

Starting: Current
    Chest:46.4 43.3 = -3.1"
    Arms: 14.5 14.7 = -.8
    Hips: 44 43.8 = -.3
    Waist:46.5 45.3 = -1.3
    Thighs 25.8 26 =+.3
    Calves: 16.8 16.5 = -.3
    Forearms: 12 12.5 =+.3
    Shoulders: 52.7 54.3 =+1.5
    Neck: 16 15.8 =-.3
  • jjstaten
    Options
    Bump
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I had typed up a bunch of stuff, pressed the wrong button and the web page changed on me! Doh! Lost everything I had typed. :)

First, here's an interesting article that might give you hope: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Second, you need to make sure you are getting an accurate reading on your exercise calories. If you are using numbers from the machine or from the web, they are probably high. My motto, underestimate calories burned, over estimate calories eaten.

I'm sure you know this, but be sure to weight yourself when you first get up, but after you use the restroom. I actually weight till before I eat or drink anything. I'm a little obsessive about making sure I'm as empty as possible before I step on the scale! :)

It doesn't look like your calories goal is too low to cause starvation to set in. And even when you don't eat back all your calories, you are still doing fine (IMO). If you continue to feel discouraged in another week, you might want to drop your caloric goal down by 100, but I'd first look into the exercise calories.

Speaking of exercise, changing things up is a good way to keep your body challenged. This will ensure your body doesn't get use to the routines, and start to expend less energy to achieve the same goal.

Hang in there, you'll get past this.
  • SteveHunt113
    Options
    give your body time to adjust, you've probably just hit a plateau. Give 2-3 more weeks though to see if you still don't lose anything. But you should still celebrate the fact that you are working hard and that you haven't gained any weight! Stick with it!
    ^^ YES!!!!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    @ tmch4006 - thanks for posting that article about whooshes! That's exactly what I've been going through for the last few months. Three or four weeks go by with only small fluctuations in my weight and then BAM all of a sudden I drop a pound or two. It's weird but I'll take it!

To the OP, I'd suggest changing your pound per week goal to 1/2 or 1 pound - just make sure it's not at 2 pounds. Now that you're within 30 pounds of your goal weight, it's going to take longer for the weight to fall off and you'll likely have more success with a smaller calorie deficit. A similar approach is to figure out your BMR and try not to net below that.

Also, as someone mentioned, if you've been upping the intensity of your exercise lately, you could just be retaiing water. Like swollen sprained ankle, when muscles are sore from activity, they retain fluid. Also, make sure you sodium is in check.
  • jjstaten
    Options
    I had typed up a bunch of stuff, pressed the wrong button and the web page changed on me! Doh! Lost everything I had typed. :)

First, here's an interesting article that might give you hope: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Second, you need to make sure you are getting an accurate reading on your exercise calories. If you are using numbers from the machine or from the web, they are probably high. My motto, underestimate calories burned, over estimate calories eaten.

I'm sure you know this, but be sure to weight yourself when you first get up, but after you use the restroom. I actually weight till before I eat or drink anything. I'm a little obsessive about making sure I'm as empty as possible before I step on the scale! :)

It doesn't look like your calories goal is too low to cause starvation to set in. And even when you don't eat back all your calories, you are still doing fine (IMO). If you continue to feel discouraged in another week, you might want to drop your caloric goal down by 100, but I'd first look into the exercise calories.

Speaking of exercise, changing things up is a good way to keep your body challenged. This will ensure your body doesn't get use to the routines, and start to expend less energy to achieve the same goal.

what are your thoughts on pre-workout protein The plan I'm on has me doing 1.5-2 grams per lb of of body weight.
  • SteveHunt113
    Options

what are your thoughts on pre-workout protein The plan I'm on has me doing 1.5-2 grams per lb of of body weight.

I drink a protein shake before I workout (1 scoop for 20 grams) and then a second one after my workout (2 scoops for 40 grams). Most people will say to got 1.3 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body weight. In other words, if you weight 200 pounds and you have 20% body fat, you have 40 pounds of fat, and 160 pounds of lean body weight. So 1.3 (or 1.5) times 160. What a lot of people do is instead say 1 gram of protein per pound of weight.

Here's how they compare:

Using lean body weight
    1.3 x 160 = 208
    1.5 x 160 = 240

Using 1 gram per pound of weight
    200 x 1 = 200

Your program
    200 x 1.5 = 300
    200 x 2 = 400

I think most people would say your program is suggesting too much protein. Is that bad? I have no idea! :)