Kidney stones and dietary restrictions

I have kidney stones. Testing has shown that I have high uric acid and high oxalate in my urine so my stones are most likely made up of those things

Calcium oxalate stones are the most common. They tend to form when the urine is acidic, meaning it has a low pH. Some of the oxalate in urine is produced by the body. Calcium and oxalate in the diet play a part but are not the only factors that affect the formation of calcium oxalate stones. Dietary oxalate is an organic molecule found in many vegetables, fruits, and nuts. Calcium from bone may also play a role in kidney stone formation.

Uric acid stones are more likely to form when the urine is persistently acidic, which may result from a diet rich in animal proteins and purines-substances found naturally in all food but especially in organ meats, fish, and shellfish.

Based on the kind of stones I get I need to limit the amount and kinds of fruits, veggies and nuts that I eat and limit meat/animal proteins to less than 6 oz a day, closer to 4 oz.

So what am I supposed to eat? I have to tell you I felt better when I ate junk food and processed junk all day than I do now that I upped protein and fruits and veggies. Looks like I probably need to get most of my food from grains and carbs but they are supposed to be the devil.

Anyone experiencing something similar or suffer from stones? Any ideas or support would be appreciated.

Replies

• nbme
    nbme Posts: 8 Member
    Hi!! I just found out I have "numerous kidney stones in varying sizes" in both my kidneys :0( I took one in to get tested, but haven't heard the results yet. My dr. told me to start a low oxalate diet, which means goodbye to foods high in oxalate like soy, nuts, spinach, etc. It makes it even harder for me because I'm lactose intolerant and I have IBS.

I have the same problem as you--not knowing what exactly to eat :0(
  • lynnstar_lynnstar
    lynnstar_lynnstar Posts: 49 Member
    I was actually in the hospital for a week a few weeks ago due to kidney stones! I also found out that I have to adopt the low oxalate diet. When the urologist handed me the list of foods to avoid it was practically everything that I love...berries, spinach, chocolate, etc.

Here is a link to a guide for low oxalate diet that I found online.

http://www.mainstream-urology.com/articles/low_oxalate_diet.html