Rest Days and Weight Loss

Options
This is part personal observation, part poll, part question.

I have been on a medically supervised Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD) for the past three months. I currently "eat" about 800 calories per day, for 12 weeks I was on 650 calories per day, just upped it a week and a half ago.

Prior to beginning this I was going to the gym 2-3 times a week but not working out very hard. Now I go to the gym 4-5 days a week and try to push myself, not athlete level but pushing for me.

I have found that if I work out 5-6 days in a row without a day off that my rate of weight loss slows down significantly. If I take "rest" days periodically (Workout M,T, off W, workout Th, F, off Sa, Sunday optional) that my weight loss is more steady/quicker. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

The question part of this is why does it work this way, are your muscles retaining water to repair themselves? Is it the continuous higher calorie deficit?

Thanks in advance. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Rest days reinforce to your body that you're not starving and your physical needs are not sustaining a higher level. When you don't rest, your body compensates and slows down your metabolism. It's crazy how our bodies are so freaking adaptable for some things, but won't budge on others!

I do notice a higher weight the day after a heavy lifting day. I have read in a few of my magazines (Muscle & Fitness - Hers, Fitness, etc) that your muscles are "swollen" after a hard workout (repair process - fluid brings nutrients to the muscles).