Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

need help kicking the soda..

Replies

• stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    I'm a Pepsi addict too, also trying to cut it out of my diet. I tried going cold turkey last week but I ended up getting really bad headaches and I kept falling asleep. I really wanna stop though cause according to the calculations I did following the formula on some website, I would lose 56 pounds in one year if I stopped drinking pop. I don't wanna lose anywhere near that much cause I'd be a twig, but even if I could lose half of that would be awesome.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Cold turkey is THE way to go! I only drink water on a daily basis now and almond milk, but I was drinking two cans of regular soda a day back in February! How did I do it? I educated myself on what it does to your body. Sugar is harmful to your health and your looks. It actually ages you faster and feeds cancer cells. I promise if you do some research you'll find sources on that. Also sooo many excess calories. I love food way more than pop, so why would I waste calories on my drinks. once you start tracking all that candy and pop you'll see how much more food you could be eating or how much faster you could be losing weight. And yep diet pop is harmful too and does cause sugar cravings. Ad they have done studies that show that those who drink it on a regular basis tend to have a higher body fat percentage. Sorry, I dont hang on to my sources, but I only trust the stuff that is credible :)
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Also, if you have a really bad sweet tooth, sugar free jello is pretty good topped with fat free cool whip! Not all the time due to the artificial sweeteners, but it's helped me through a craving a time or two :)
  • divalivious
    divalivious Posts: 213 Member
    the last few weeks i stopped drinking soda... when i want a change from water i have fruit juice and do a 40/60 mix (or about that) with carbonated water so i get the bubbles and not as much calories from the juice.
    been trying to make better choices when it comes to the junk food. Chocolate is my downfall so i am trying not to eat any for awhile.
    Going with the philosophy if I need a dictionary then most likely I dont want to eat it. So trying to pick junk foods with more natural ingredients.
  • talamer
    talamer Posts: 516 Member
    I know how you feel,
    just stop drinking it! and try to drink more water!
    I know u feel it is hard to do it.. But believe me if you insist, then you can do it!
    I only drink water and some juices now..it will really help reducing your weight much faster!

and Candies, you should control it! like for me I eat very little candy or desert in some days. especially in family gathering day weekly!

Good luck!
  • SCSTWG
    SCSTWG Posts: 182 Member
    My friend once told me that I should just get a Diet Pepsi I.V. I hate to think of how much diet soda that I was drinking. I justified it because it was diet and caffiene free. I developed some gastro issues and the first thing the G.I. told me was that any carbonated beverage (diet or regualr) had to be stopped. It wasn't easy, but it has been 3 months and I don't even miss it now. I drink water throughout the day and with meals I might have Crystal Light or PowerAde Zero. I am very aware of not getting hooked on these products though either. While they are not carbonated, I don't think too much of them would be good for you. I know it is difficult, but do it now so you don't end up in the boat that I am in. When you don't feel good, soda will be the least of your worries.
  • Diet Mt Dew is my vice. But recently I have cut down to only one a week. I don't buy it by the case like I use to, cause if it was there, I drank it.. Sometimes 2 or 3 a day! Now I drink it as a treat! I have replaced it with losts of water, and sometimes a packet of crystal light when I need some flavor! My advice, don't buy it! When you REALLY want it, budget for it, and buy only one at a time! I realized I saved money too! Nice bonus!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Just make a deal with yourself that you won't drink anything but water for a couple weeks.

I kept hearing stories about how people kept losing 10 or 15 pounds doing absolutely nothing different except cutting soda out of their diet.

Sure enough, I simply stopped drinking soda and I lost ten pounds. I don't even crave it today.

I stopped drinking coffee, too. Caffeine inhibits weight loss.

Just do it! :smile:

Hang in there!
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    try La Croix. no cal. no artificial sweetners. lots of flavors. It really helped me kick the soda habit.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Artificial sweeteners and HFCS are sweeter than real sugar. A lot of foods you may be eating could have HFCS in them, so as you wean off and eat clean, you may be craving which is why you're binging on the soda. If you switch to sodas made with real sugar , drink them in moderation, and watch your food labels for HFCS, cane juice, etc, that will help you reduce your taste for sweet
  • frixtine
    frixtine Posts: 965 Member
    I hate to advocate any medications, but the way I kicked my habit was because I had chronic migraines, and my doctor prescribed me a medication called Topamax to try to stop them. With Topamax, anything carbonated tastes disgusting!!! So, it was easy to quit them. You don't have the same love for them when they don't taste good anymore.

If you are a migraine sufferer, ask your doctor about it. It might help with the headaches and the drinks.
  • DawnB86
    DawnB86 Posts: 99 Member
    Im going to try really hard.. Pepsi is my weakness and truffles.... gees.... I will take all of your helpful tips amd statt doing it
    I just hate the caffiene headaches

The headaches were horrible for me too the first time a tried to quit. Here's how I did it: I first switched to diet soda and then, after a couple of weeks, I switched to caffeine free diet soda. I was still drinking soda and it had a kind of placebo affect so I didn't get the headaches. After a couple of weeks of that, I worked more water in: if I had already had a soda with a previous meal, I had to have water with the next. I'm still not completely off soda but I don't seem to crave it as much as I used to. Now I buy the 7.5oz cans and it's just enough to satisfy the craving when I get it.
  • Walmart has some sparkling flavored waters, as do other stores. Those really helped me when I was trying to stop drinking soda. They have a lot of flavor and are carbonated, but have 0 caloies, 0 sugar, 0 caffeine. They're great!! And most of the time you get big bottles for around 70 cents!!
  • TammyWick
    TammyWick Posts: 22 Member
    Im going to try really hard.. Pepsi is my weakness and truffles.... gees.... I will take all of your helpful tips amd statt doing it

Start off by replacing ur soda with water little by little just like u would with any other drug. I had the same problem a long time ago. It does get easier. As far as the candy goes when u crave it eat it but just one serving and log it. Diets don't work and if u stop eating the things u love then this will feel like a diet and it won't work for u. So, eat a serving and log it so that u still stay with in ur cal, carb, fat, protien limits.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Try tea. If not try Metromint water. Chocolate and orange are my favorites! I got addicted to the plain unsweetened teas from Mickey D's. Also, greek yogurt w/ strawberries sweetened with Splenda is good. If I am super bad I will add a little dark chocolate shavings with whipped cream. not bad but helps with the chocolate cravings and is nutritious (whipped cream take it or leave it).

Love Metromint peppermint, but it's not easy to find. I carry a small bottle of peppermint extract in my purse and put a drop in a bottle of water. Tastes as good. I buy Metromint when I can find it, but...
  • FitLink
    Walmart has some sparkling flavored waters, as do other stores. Those really helped me when I was trying to stop drinking soda. They have a lot of flavor and are carbonated, but have 0 caloies, 0 sugar, 0 caffeine. They're great!! And most of the time you get big bottles for around 70 cents!!

And if you like them, great, but they're no better for you than diet soda. Diet soda, heck regular soda for that matter, is just "flavored water."
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    diet soda isnt really better than normal soda except for the 0 calories but health wise its not good for you. But it is a good way to replace regular soda! If your trying to stay away from diet soda too than you can try flavored waters or iced teas. I gave up soda and have been off it for about 2 months!! it gets easier but you do need something to help you!! I now drink a lot of unsweetend iced teas and if i want them sweet i will sweeten them with honey or splenda Good luck OP!

0 calorie diet soda is 99% water. It's fine for you. Even if that 1% was battery acid it would still be fine for you.
  • FitLink

The headaches were horrible for me too the first time a tried to quit. Here's how I did it: I first switched to diet soda and then, after a couple of weeks, I switched to caffeine free diet soda. I was still drinking soda and it had a kind of placebo affect so I didn't get the headaches. After a couple of weeks of that, I worked more water in: if I had already had a soda with a previous meal, I had to have water with the next. I'm still not completely off soda but I don't seem to crave it as much as I used to. Now I buy the 7.5oz cans and it's just enough to satisfy the craving when I get it.

Placebo effect is right! Caffeine withdrawal headaches are vascular headaches, like migraines. Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor. Once your body "gets used" to it, when you quit, your body reacts by dialating the blood vessels in your head which then press on nerves. Caffeine-free can't keep those blood vessels from dilating. Period. Interestingly enough, if you don't consume caffeine daily, it's a great medicine to get rid of a vascular headache like a migraine!
  • FitLink
    diet soda isnt really better than normal soda except for the 0 calories but health wise its not good for you. But it is a good way to replace regular soda! If your trying to stay away from diet soda too than you can try flavored waters or iced teas. I gave up soda and have been off it for about 2 months!! it gets easier but you do need something to help you!! I now drink a lot of unsweetend iced teas and if i want them sweet i will sweeten them with honey or splenda Good luck OP!

0 calorie diet soda is 99% water. It's fine for you. Even if that 1% was battery acid it would still be fine for you.

More like 99.99%, but the point still applies. (Sugar-sweetened soda isn't much less than 99% water, for that matter--but the calories and sugar can be a problem) Some researchers have concerns that sweetness without calories might make your body less able to regulate your appetite, but it's a small concern next to sugar.
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    What helped me was to actually log my calories. Seeing how many soda took up, I had to change something. I love eating too much to be denied by flavored water :)