What am I doing wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Muscle takes up less space than fat, so yes, if you were gaining muscle and losing fat your pants would be looser.

Plus it's highly unlikely that you could build muscle eating so little with that workout schedule, let alone enough to make a difference on a scale. You body can't create the muscle out of air.

You are eating so little that, of course you will lose weight, but not necessarily as quickly as you want, in a very healthy manner or in a way that is conducive to keeping it off. I know it is tempting to just keep cutting calories and working out more, because this is the general formula for weight loss, but at some point it becomes unhealthy. It also may not give you the aesthetic outcome you want. To look leaner, you probably need to up calories and up the resistance training. Try http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ to get a rough idea of what an average person of your height, weight age and goals should be eating for healthy fat loss.

I wish you the best of the luck. It's just so hard to be patient. Sometimes with weight loss my inner Veruca Salt comes out, whining "I want it now!" but I'm trying to be patient and work to a lifestyle change, but it's a work in progress.
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    its not the amount of food your taking in...its pure science that if you eat more your going to lose weight even slower...even with metabolism relativity and all that junk. I do 800- 1000 calorie work outs 5 times a week and eat around 1200 and I am losing weight pretty consistantly. I think you need to give your body some time to adapt to the new input and it'll come off.

800-1000 calories a day, I am surprised you don't feel hungry or fatigued through your work outs. What do you think is going to happen once you have reached your goal and want to start eating normal again? You will not be able to maintain but only gain unless you continue to only eat 800-1000 calories a day, sometimes that’s just my breakfast alone.

To each their own do what works for you, but ask yourself one question how do you feel on a normal basis, hungry? Tired? *****ey?

I feel fantastic and never starved or deprived!
  • dabears6352
    dabears6352 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You have a good point, I'm not sure what I'll do when/if I reach my weight loss goal. If I ever eat more than 1200 calories per day, I will gain again. And I really don't want that. I may try to eat a bit more, but I really don't feel hungry or tired. I want to lose this fat and I'm willing to try any suggestions.

Thanks so much
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. At first, I wasn't seeing a difference in the way my clothes fit, either. It started happening all at once. Don't get discouraged. The change will come. My husband and I walk at least 3 1/2 miles every day and I never eat back my exercise calories. I consistently eat no more than 1200 calories and have been doing that since January. I never plateaued, and I am now 2 pounds away from my goal weight, and I have lost 28 pounds since November. I personally do not believe in starvation mode (and I will probably get flamed for saying that). However, I do believe that eating a well balanced diet that gives your body all the nutrients it needs is vital to success. I am a vegetarian and I try to stay away from processed foods as much as possible. I rarely don't meet my MFP nutritional goals.

The key for me this time around was my attitude. I decided up front that I was not going to be in a huge hurry to drop the weight, and I was not going to let myself get discouraged. It didn't go on overnight, and it certainly wasn't coming off overnight. I figured that every day I was successful was one day closer to my goal. The day you hit your goal will come. Yes, we all want instant results, but that's unrealistic. Just be patient, keep doing what seems logical, and you will get to where you want to be. There were days when I felt impatient and I would whine to my husband, but they were few and far between, and the time got behind me. Now, I am almost where I want to be.

One final note; if you eat your 1200 calories and still feel hungry (and know it's REAL hunger and not just boredom or thirst or a craving), then eat more. Going hungry will eventually cause you to overindulge, which will sabotage your efforts. Good luck!