Squat problem - any ideas?

Options
Hi all :)

I have a question about squats. Thing is, I have been working out for almost 3 years now (yay!) but somehow I just can't seem to get the squatting technique right. I read this blog the other night and proceeded to make some experiments with sqatting. My problem is that one ore more of these happen when I squat:

a) my knees point inward AND/OR
b) I bend forward from my hips OR
c) I get stuck and can't go lower than seating position. (what happened when I tried squatting with the info on that blog in mind)

Also, I seem sometimes to be having problems standing with enough weight in my heels.
This seems to be somewhat remedied if I am squatting with weights on the cable machine.

For the life of me I just don't get it. OK I am no gymnist, could do with some more flexibility but I am not even sure that this is a flexibility issue and I am not squatting with weight, I just get stuck. Someone suggested to me that this could be related to that since I gave birth to my 2 daughters I have trouble sleeping on my sides without having a pillow between my legs. I I do it, then I have this pain in the side of my thigh that is turned up (in my left thigh if I'm lying on my right side and vice versa): But that is just an idea, I have no clue if that is true.

Does anyone know why this might be and have an idea how to fix it? I'd really love to be able to squat *kitten* to grass with weights without having to worry about hurting my back.

Thanks in advance :)
Hofi

Replies

• Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    *bump*
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    *bump*

Watch this video and the follow the links afterwards to watch each additional part, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkF9QD7oCIA

Squatting correctly is more technical than most people think. Sometimes people aren't going wide enough, foot placement is wrong, unracking the bar can be wrong, maybe you're not sitting back enough, or perhaps your supporting muscle groups just aren't strong enough. There are many considerations. Watch the videos a couple times and then maybe post back what you think afterwards and we can talk in more detail about squatting.
    I get stuck and can't go lower than seating position. (what happened when I tried squatting with the info on that blog in mind)

There's nothing wrong with only getting to parallel. If you can get to parallel you're doing good, you don't have to go deeper than that but of course there's nothing wrong with going deeper than that either as long as your form is intact.
  • bugsymalone521
    Options
    Not sure what you're trying to put up, but I would also suggest to try squatting a minimal amount of weight until you feel good doing it, then move up gradually if you so choose.
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    Thanks a lot for your input :)

I watched these video clips and they are definitely helpful. Thanks.
    I am thinking it might be my hamstrings, they are pretty stiff, but I am definitely stronger than I used to be. My back also needs some attention (work in progress). I guess it will just take some more of that patience, got any extra you'd like to share? :P
  • JNick77
    Options
    Thanks a lot for your input :)

I watched these video clips and they are definitely helpful. Thanks.
    I am thinking it might be my hamstrings, they are pretty stiff, but I am definitely stronger than I used to be. My back also needs some attention (work in progress). I guess it will just take some more of that patience, got any extra you'd like to share? :P

Since you mentioned those areas, yes I do. :) LOL

Hamstrings: Romanian Deadlifts and Good Mornings are excellent exercises for strengthening your hamstrings and posterior chain in general. Err on the side of light with the Good Mornings and keep a straight back. 3 to 4 sets of 8 - 12 reps should be sufficient. On one day do RDL's and one day do GM's.

Back: RDL's and GM's will help you with your back strength but also work on flexibility. Remember your hamstrings run into your lower back so keeping some flexibility in your hammies will help your back. Also, stretch your hip flexors every day if you can remember to do that.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options

Does anyone know why this might be and have an idea how to fix it? I'd really love to be able to squat *kitten* to grass with weights without having to worry about hurting my back.

My trainer told me you should not go any lower than seated position to avoid hurting your back. Be careful!
  • kcashwheeler
    kcashwheeler Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Practice squating with an exercise ball between you and the wall. Use the ball for support. I was having a little trouble getting my squat form down and my trainer had me practice like this and it really helped me. I watched myself in in the mirror.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Another good thing to try is just the form with no weights - watch yourself very closely in the mirror and tweak your form until you get it right. Practice a few times then add very light weights - again, watch closely and tweak until it becomes habit.
  • choirgirl1130
    choirgirl1130 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    you have a couple things going on here...
    >knees going inward ...you need to train your quads and stretch them like crazy. this is a very common issue with women. the angle of our femur into the knee joint is larger due to our hips. if your quads or i.t. band are tight, you will rotate inward...more so too if you have high arches. you can remedy this by practicing air squats w a theraband. with your feet in starting squat position, loop a theraband around your knees. squatting down w no weight, think about pressing your knees outward, creating some tension on the band, and keep your knees pointing forward. may feel weird to begin, but it will improve. as you get flutent with this, try using the band when squatting with weights.
    >you need to stretch your calves, especially your achilles tendon, to keep your heels down. downward dog pose in yoga is a great pose to help!
    hope this is helpful!
  • JNick77
    Options
    squats w a theraband. with your feet in starting squat position, loop a theraband around your knees. squatting down w no weight, think about pressing your knees outward, creating some tension on the band,

I actually really like that.

@ the OP: When you say your knees start pointing inward, is that after you reach a certain load or is that like during warm-up set one with maybe just the bar on your back? That will make a difference. If you can maintain good form with a lighter load then you're okay. Form always breaks down as the weight creeps-up. If you have that issue with little to no load then make sure you're doing some extra quad and hamstring work.
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump to keep the links.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    bump to keep the links.

ditto
  • nannabannana
    Options
    bump I just started doing them...I love them...They are a good burn for me, even with a knee replacement
  • fugaj01
    fugaj01 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    bump you all have great info! :flowerforyou:
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the advice above (except not squatting below parallel, that's not right). I'd add a couple of things that have helped me as I share a couple of your issues. Firstly along with pushing your knees out, try to focus on pushing weight into the outside of your feet or another way to think about it is pushing your femurs out. Also I find that I have problems with 'good morning-ing' in a back squat, but I stay upright with a front squat quite well. I think it's because the rack position forces you to. So when I am back-squatting I try to think about mimicing my front squat (if that makes sense). Another thing I would suggest is playing around with your rack, you could try a wider or narrower grip and also try adjusting the position of the bar up or down your back. I hold my bar quite narrow and low down my back whereas my training buddy holds hers wide and high on her neck. Make sure you're wearing flatish shoes. I have proper lifting shoes, but even converse are better than really squishy cross-trainers.

HTH
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    Awww thank you all so much for your help, I really appreciate it. I was always your classic couch potato, and my legs have been lagging behind, I literally had no muscle there whatsoever. FINALLY now I can see the difference when I squeeze my quads, I never saw the difference. I has taken so much time, I had nothing to show for all my work on my feet up until this year despite having been going regularly to the gym weightlifting since June of 2009. They were just like two straws :P and have been gaining VERY slowly. I am definitely going to check the good mornings and do more deadlifts. Also I plan to stretch even more than I have been doing until now. I will be checking out hip flexor stretching too, I suspect that it might have a something to do with this. Can't wait to squat properly! LOL I am craving a magic bullet now! :D

One poster asked if I break form with weights or without them, I have on couple of occasions hurt my lumbar spine squatting with weights. No wonder given the problem with the forward tilt, so I decided to never squat with a weight until I get it right. Just to be on the safe side

Again, thank you all so much for your feedback! Of course if someone else has something to add, please jump in :)
  • JNick77
    Options
    One poster asked if I break form with weights or without them, I have on couple of occasions hurt my lumbar spine squatting with weights. No wonder given the problem with the forward tilt, so I decided to never squat with a weight until I get it right. Just to be on the safe side

You really don't have to go deep beyond parallel, that's partially flexibility and not everybody can achieve that. Powerlifters only have to go a little beyond parallel, so in my book that's good enough for me. Being that you're really just getting the hang of this and you have some lagging muscle groups, I recommend just shooting for parallel for now. Once you get your form and strength up then focus on going deeper but for now keep it simple.

Definitely work on your supporting muscle groups, Good Mornings and Romanian Deadlifts for the posterior chain and hamstrings. I don't particularly like the Leg Press but it's a good bilateral movement for helping to bring up your leg strength. Lunges will help you tremendously I think. I'm not a fan of Leg Extensions but they could help with your quad strength.

One leg workout may look something like,
    Back Squats: 3 sets of 5 reps (doesn't include warm-up sets)
    Leg Press: 3 to 4 sets of 8-10 reps
    DB Lunges: 3 to 4 sets of 8-10 reps
    Romanian DL's: 4 sets of 8-12 reps

If you can grab a copy of "Starting Strength" I think it would do you good. Watch that video some more until your confident with your form. I know that he discusses ways to build-up supporting muscle groups too, so make sure you catch that. I'm pretty confident in my form and every time I see that video I think I pick something up, it's a great learning series for the squat.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

My trainer told me you should not go any lower than seated position to avoid hurting your back. Be careful!

That's not true actually. Take a look at olympic lifters. They squat very deep.
    It all is based on where the bar is positioned though and the persons own flexibility/mobility.
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My trainer said to always get a focus point on the ceiling or far wall and it will help you keep your back straight.. Works for me :o) and now I :heart: squats!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

You really don't have to go deep beyond parallel, that's partially flexibility and not everybody can achieve that. Powerlifters only have to go a little beyond parallel, so in my book that's good enough for me. Being that you're really just getting the hang of this and you have some lagging muscle groups, I recommend just shooting for parallel for now. Once you get your form and strength up then focus on going deeper but for now keep it simple.

I don't think it was mentioned earlier, but parallel (in powerlifting at least) is when the crease of the hip is below the top of the kneecap.