I don't know what my calorie goals should be anymore...

I HATE asking calorie questions, I;ve always kind of been a do what works for you...but my goals are shifting and I really don't know what the heck I should be doing. I'm working on those last 10-15 lbs and trying to do some body recompositioning as well...I'm thinking I should just be focusing on a 250-500 (1/2 lb to 1lb) .

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I found this website to be very helpful: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

They have a lot of tools & calculators to help you focus & fine tune your goals. I am also down to the last few pounds, and have things set to lose 1/2lb a week. On that link, I started with the Military Body Fat Calculator (on the advice of another MFP member) and went from there to figure out goal body weight, BMR, and calorie intake.

Hope that helps you!
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Interesting website...although...below 21% bf for women is too little? huh...
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 253 Member
    I compared the military body fat calculator and their original... a difference of 10% body fat! Seriously?!

I don't really have much other advice for you though. Hope someone else has some input :)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    I've been maintaining for quite some time. I bounce up and down by 5 - 8 lbs but I find that if I stay focused (meaning I actually log everything that I eat) and consistent with my eating, I tend to lose weight. The last 10 lbs really involves small small tweaks in your routine. To accelerate the loss, I might add in two or three strength training workouts (because I don't normally have a very consistent weight lifting routine these days with TKD and running). I try to focus on less processed food and more natural (clean) foods. I try to drink more water and less caffeine. All the typical things that everyone else is going to say (and works). Basically it comes down to what you can live with and what works for you, like you said. All the best calculators in the world aren't going to help you to lose body fat; they are just guesstimations based on some "average". Try to lower your fat calories to 20% and/or add in a consistent strength training program (if you haven't already done so... and if you have, then add in maybe 1 -2 cross training workouts per week). See what happens. Reassess.

Good luck!!

PS I was HORRIFIED by the results of the BF% calculation that the military BF calculator gave me. I then used it to give me the measurements that would give me a better BF% results. Sigh.
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    I am right there with you! just want to tlose the last little bit and gain muscle. I've been at the same basic weight for a year and still can't budge these pounds. Also when I am training for a longer distance race (half marathons) I feel like I get softer since I don't have as much time for strength..I'd love some advice too!! :)