Hit my goal! 55 lbs lost in 10 months!

Options
Airliner
Airliner Posts: 54 Member
Well, I haven't posted much here, and never posted pics, but today I'm excited enough to do so!

I am one of the many examples of "living proof" that MFP works! I set my profile up to lose 1 lb per week, and in 10 months have lost 55 lbs - so at 5 1/2 lbs per month average, it looks like I did just a bit better than hoped.

These, for me, are the most important keys to success:

Be true to yourself! Record EVERYTHING you eat. If you don't, you are only cheating yourself and undermining your efforts.

Get a portion scale and use it! This is a HUGE factor in success. There is no other way to be certain that what you are recording is accurate. By using the "tare" function and a little math, you can adjust the amount of calories recorded into a remarkably accurate number. For example, when I want that rare dish of ice cream, i put the bowl on the scale and zero the scale. Put the desired portion in the bowl and see the weight. Last night, I had 131 grams. The serving size on the "Nutrition Facts" label indicated a serving to be 114 grams. So, by dividing the actual grams by the portion size, i found I needed to record 1.15 servings to get the right calories into my MFP record. The package states 300 calories per serving, but my bowl was actually 345.

Treat your calories like cash! Spend them wisely. You hate to waste money, so just adopt the same attitude about calories and think twice before you waste them!

Increase your activity the easy way ... just walk! I have made a habit of walking at least 2 miles every day. When I hit the treadmill, I bring my iPad with headphones, put on an old TV show from Netflix (some of the oldies run 50 minutes), and I'm done before I know it. I'm lucky to have some good friends who will walk with me, too, when going outdoors - helps the time pass quickly.

But the biggest thing is - DON'T GIVE UP! There have been days when I have gotten on the scale after a week where it seemed I had almost starved myself, only to see the scale had jumped a pound or two. Sometimes it made me so angry and frustrated that I just wanted to quit. It takes a lot of focus and determination to hit your goal. But worthwhile accomplishments are rarely easy, so give this effort the commitment it deserves. You will be amazed how much better you feel.

I have seen so many great stories of people who have gotten off medication, licked diabetes, etc. In my case, I was lucky enough to be basically healthy ... but I did have back problems before that required an occasional visit to the chiropractor - but not any more!

Anyway, I hope this hasn't been too "preachy" ... but if it helps one person ...

102_2469-2.jpg

Replies

• WenonaY
    WenonaY Posts: 203
    Options
    Wow! Good job.
  • KrystleKiri
    KrystleKiri Posts: 135
    Options
    That's amazing! You're truly inspirational!! Thank you for sharing, you look great!
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Great Job!!!
  • msunluckythirteen
    msunluckythirteen Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You look great! You must be so proud!
  • Modogger
    Modogger Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great job....and thanks for the tips. :)
  • dancerina22310
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Great job!
  • iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Gr8 job!
  • busyblkgirl
    busyblkgirl Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You look great!!! Congrats!!! i have a scale, but never use it. Today i'm gonna start :D
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options
    This is so cool! You look GREAT! Well done :)
  • jenna0211
    Options
    What an amazing story! You've made me remember how important the portions are...you are so right with that! 55 pounds, what an accomplishment. And in such a short time!
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Great job, and outstanding advice.
  • Dietz27
    Dietz27 Posts: 107
    Options
    Nice work dude!!!
  • Gemmageldmacher
    Gemmageldmacher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Good work and good story!! It looks like it is a lifestyle change for you, not just a "get thin quick" scheme, which is the best way to approach it! :happy:
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I too have a fairly small monthly weight loss goal. I have only been at this for two months, as of today actually. Even though I tell myself I need to be patient, it's still hard sometimes to be working at this without seeing those big numbers, and visible results. Seeing 55 pounds in 10 months, and the difference it's made on your body is inspirational. My goal is actually twice yours, but I figure every pound I lose is one less I have to lug around.

Long story short, thanks for posting. You have inspired me.
  • Hanablu2
    Hanablu2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    wow! great advice, one of the most encouraging success stories I have heard. This helps me a lot. Thank you for sharing! You look great!!!
  • needcoffeeplease
    Options
    fabulous! thanks for the tips! congratulations!
  • NiceTee75
    NiceTee75 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!!!!!!! Congrats and thanks for the "preachy"!!!! Your tips are wonderful!!!!!!
  • KristaTellier
    KristaTellier Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Treat your calories like cash! Spend them wisely. You hate to waste money, so just adopt the same attitude about calories and think twice before you waste them!

Love this advice, thanks.
    Congrats on a job very well done!!!
  • LiteBrite007
    LiteBrite007 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO!!!!!
  • tngfordisney
    Options
    Thanks for the tips Airliner. Inspirational.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!