Why am I not losing lbs???

Options
This always happens to me. I work out, eat healthier, but the scale doesn't budge!! I have completely changed my eating habits, eating healthier for about a year now, and have started and stopped many workout schedules in this time. I always end up quitting because, EVERY TIME I start a workout schedule, I will gain about 5 pounds and stay there until I give up, frustrated and disappointed. I am in my 4th week of working out 4x a week, I feel great, my clothes fit better, but the fn scale is pssn me off! I am very motivated and I will not give up this time, but uh when is all this hard work going to show??? Am I the only one with this issue?

Replies

• ajschust23
    Options
    What do your workouts consist of? If your doing strength training you are replacing fat with muscle which may be why you are not seeing any weight changes. If your clothes fit better than what you're doing is working.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    Ignore the scale. Grab a measuring tape and see how many inches you are losing. If your clothes are fitting looser and you're feeling good then you are making progress. You could be building muscle while burning fat. A pound of muscle is smaller by volume than a pound of fat. The scale lies, just remember that.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'd say forget the scale, get a measuring tape!
  • rohlson
    rohlson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am doing both cardio and strength. I understand muscle weighs more than fat.
    I think my question is: when will I start losing lbs? Probably not a question anyone can answer.

I know I shouldn't be checking the scale but I am ocd when it comes to that. lol When I see the lbs dropping, this is a huge motivation for me, probably the biggest motivation.....I need to get me one of those measuring tapes. ;)
  • rohlson
    Options
    @marquesajen I love your picture!

And the scale IS a liar!! ahahahaha
  • ohpilot
    ohpilot Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Reading this always makes me feel better:

https://www.turbokick.com/wblog/?p=709
  • huckabeebug
    huckabeebug Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    get on a different scale. or just move the one you have to a differant place in house. if u need to see a lower number than that helps me somethimes.... But if you really shouldn't go by a scale.. (i am talking to my self as well). If u like what u see in the mirror, feel healther that is all that matters.
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    I, too, am OCD when it comes to the scale. I finally had to just lock it away for a while...and even then I would pull it out once in a while.

I'm in a very similar boat as you. I do strength training and teach Zumba 4 nights a week, and that scale just laughs at me. But here's the kicker - for the first time in YEARS I am wearing a pair of nylons and don't have that "pooch" that we get above the waist-band!

So, SCREW THE SCALE!!! It's just a torture device anyway. I don't know who first thought of making a scale for humans. That was just dumb.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    why should the scale number even matter??

You said yourself, your clothes fit better and you feel better, why isn't that cause enough to keep going?

Why do you need to "give up" eatting better and excersising will make you stronger and fitter NO MATTER WHAT THE SCALE SAYS!!!!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. I lost more in the first couple of weeks when I was only exercising once a week but now the scales don't seem to be moving, or when they do very very slowly, but I can feel that my body is more solid now - if that makes sense? - so I'll carry on and hope I'll get the payback later down the line.
  • latty1116
    Options
    your gaining musle my dear....dont stop!...I have the same issue i have only lost 6 pounds in 45 days and I eat healthier than i have ever did before....keep it up your body will adjust
  • tanya_613
    tanya_613 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Stay off the scale!!!! those buttons on the pants and shirts tell the truth!!! Im in the same boat... I have gained 3 lbs but my clothes are fitting better. I know I am gaining muscle because Jillian Michaels is kicking my azz EVERYDAY!!!!
  • smexyaddie
    Options
    The scale is a liar. Hahaha i felt like i've lost some pounds and people notice it too but the weighing scale just didn't show me that difference. Hahaha so what i do is i have this "trial wardrobe" i try it on and see if its tight or loose when i wear it :D
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Measure youself..
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're eating as good as you think you are? Your diary isn't public, but make sure you're not over-estimating portion sizes or under-estimating your calories burned (both very easy to do). Also track sodium intake because that can be a big troublemaker. Are you drinking enough water?

I agree with those that say don't stress about the number, and be sure to do measurements, but weight loss has more to do with your actual diet than exercise.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I was going through the same thing. However, the gym I belong to had done a fitness assessment (measuring fat %, etc.) on me. A couple of months later, after eating healthy and working out routinely, I had not noticed a change in the scale. They re-did my fat % and I was DOWN 1.5 in my fat %!! Please keep in mind that you could be losing fat and it indeed sounds like you are since your clothes are fitting better. I understand you want to see the results on the scale - and you will - but you have to be patient and keep plugging along.
  • Fubar_Bill
    Fubar_Bill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Okay, le'ts start with a couple of questions:

How long do you workout 4x per week?

Do you "reward" yourself for working out? (i.e. calorie laden treats)

Do you get a good sweat going while you are working out?

Remember, 1 pound of fat is equivalent to 3500 calories.

I am 5'11" 205lbs. and when I do a hard hour of cardio I burn around 875 calories. That is equivalent to 1/4 pound of fat.

If I do that 4 times a week I can lose one pound while eating my maitenance calories.

Also, some cardio machines massively over estimate calories. The old elliptical at the gym was telling me I burned 1200 calories during the same hour and then the gym replaced the ellipticals with new ones that show my calorie burn above.

My best advice to you is to make adjustments to your diet (record everything!) and have a small deficit in what you eat while still enjoying food and your life. Then find an excersize schedule that works for you and that you enjoy.

You CANNOT just work out until you hit your ideal weight and then stop. It will NOT work.

Reason I say this? I went from 220lbs. to 160lbs. by excersizing. Two and a half years of not going into the gym and my weight went right back up to 234lbs.

For the rest of my life the gym will be part of my routine, just a bit lighter than it is right now.

Make this work for you! Don't try to kill yourself working out for 3 weeks and quit, find a pace that makes you happy!

Good Luck!

- Bill
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Thanks for this... that definitely makes me feel better!
  • rohlson
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I love everyone's encouragement, perspective and story! I will def take your advice. :)
  • rohlson
    Options

OMG!! Love this information!! Thank you!