Will the count ever end?

Options
bbear
bbear Posts: 96 Member
It seems like the calorie count runs my life. I go up and down mood wise because of the number I see. I was 340 calories over today. Even though in the week I'm at least even; I hate it! It seems like this counting stuff is too much stress to continue with it forever. I'm SO TIRED OF COUNTING!

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Once you get to your ideal weight you may not need to count as much especially when you are exercising regularly. I don't always count but I usually keep a mental count at least and I eat healthy so that helps, I don't have to worry about adding in major numbers. Don't focus so much on the number stuff just remember how much better you feel when you are watching what you eat. Good luck! :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • Coder222
    Coder222 Posts: 3
    Options
    testets
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    You will have to count something to maintain just not as vigilantly as you do when your losing........

Whether you count calories, carbs, fat grams, etc................you are going to have to stay accountable to some extent...............
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    Calorie counting really stresses me out as well. I don't have a problem plugging in foods from a restaurant or a box or a can but homemade items, to know what every single ingredient is and/or how much of each, the amount of planning and preparation is just too much for me. I don't see how so many people do it.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Really everyone should be doing at least a basic count of their calories, but definitely anyone who has been up and down in weight.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I find the stress of being totally out of control of my eating when I'm NOT counting a LOT worse than when I am. :grumble: I don't plan to EVER leave MFP, and keep logging, because I feel sooo much better about myself when I do! :wink: :bigsmile:
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It IS a lifestyle change, to be honest. Once a person is on board with this, it's pretty much going to be forever. Over the holidays, I'd let myself go a little bit, letting my ego do the talking. I figured "heck, I'm in pretty darn good shape now and the intense work-outs I'd been doing have boosted my metabolism to ridiculous levels, so I don't have to be as careful, right?"

WRRRRROOOONNGGGGGGG!!!!!!

I ended up gaining 6 lbs. and 3% BF (according to my Tanita scale; may not be accurate but it's all I have right now) over the entire month of December. Totally not cool. Now I understand -- I can't ever stop counting and tracking if I intend to achieve my goal of fat loss for the sake of muscle definition.

I wish there was an easy answer that works for everyone, but it does depend on the individual. There are many systems that have been devised to make calorie/carb/protein/fat calculations easier, but not every system is perfect.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I think that once you learn portion sizes and approximate calories of your standard foods, that you can fairly easily estimate how much you've eaten per day. It's when you eat abnormally that you run into problems, such as the holidays or vacations.

If you learn that this breakfast runs 300 calories and that lunch runs 280 calories and a bowl of ice cream is 250 calories, then I have approximately 600 calories for snacks and dinner. One of my salad's is 400, an Amy's burger on top is 100, which leaves me 100 for snacks. Aha! some veggies and fat free dip will cover that! And I'm gtg!
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I think if you look at things as a "lifetime" attached to it, it can become old. Just plan on counting till you reach your Goal... at that point you will have more daily calories to play with :wink: Just my .02 :flowerforyou:
  • bablve3000
    Options
    Counting has been one of the hardest things for me to conform to since joining this site. I still struggle with it at times bc I feel like I cant make a decision on what to eat until I log it first and see how many calories it will cost me for the day. I guess that is a good thing bc then I will make other choices if I lose too many calories from one dish. I try to look at the positive and remember my goals but it is very hard when you are used to eating whatever you want without any concerns.
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    I think if you look at things as a "lifetime" attached to it, it can become old. Just plan on counting till you reach your Goal... at that point you will have more daily calories to play with :wink: Just my .02 :flowerforyou:

I think that's the thing for me, I don't have any weight I want to lose. I just want to tone up my muffin top and eat healthier. Maybe because I have it in my mind I don't need to lose weight??!!

On Sundays I go to my parents house for dinner. Say they cook rice, chicken and veggies. Should I bring the food scale over? Start breaking out their measuring cups and portion it out? Ask what was used to season the meat? Maybe I am thinking too much over this...

It's easy to log in take out food or foods from a box/can/bag since the ingredients are right on there :sad: