Trail Running Shoes

Options
2»

Replies

• El_Rapido
    El_Rapido Posts: 136
    Options
    A lot depends on the conditions where you live, I do almost all my running over technical terrain, boggy moorland and woodland trails so i have to deal with wet roots, rock, soft mud, grassland etc.

The first thing I look at is the tread pattern, if the tread is unsuitable the rest of the shoe will be. Cushioning and support is less important in off road shoes as you arer not pounding concrete or asphalt surfaces and every footplant isn't flat, so pronation control isn't needed so much.

My favourite brands of shoe are inov-8 and Salomon buit these are serious shoes for serious trail stuff. If you are just thinking about some well maintained parkland tracks in dry conditions then you can get away with using road shoes.

Best of luck in finding what you are looking for :)
  • El_Rapido
    El_Rapido Posts: 136
    Options
    I use Adidas trail running shoes exclusively. Look for good tread, it makes a world of difference. :)

If they are available on your side of the Atlantic, Adidas Kanadia are an excellent choice for the novice trailie, They have more than adequate support and a good, hard rubber studded tread pattern that gives grip on pretty much all surfaces, and grip well in the mud and soft stuff as well as the dry, they are very reasonably priced too. They are really popular amongst the British trail and fell running community.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    WTH? Why won't it let me write ****'s Sporting Goods? UGH! Here's the link to their website . . .

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/home/index.jsp

I have a ****'s right up the street from my house but I want to go somewhere that the salespeople really know what they are talking about for my first pair. When I need to change running shoes, I go to CitySports or marathon or another local place where they actually know about feet and gaits. I pay more but after I go and get my next pairs from where ever they are on sale.
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    Just picked up a pair of Brooks Cascadia 7's yesterday so haven't had a chance to use them yet - can hardly wait! I've been using my Mizuno road shoes the last couple of weeks and they've been working pretty well too. Any of those brands you mentioned put out some good trail shoes - go with what feels good for you.

Would love to know how you like them. I've looked at them myself.
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    Unless you are planning to run on some craggly, rocky trails, an old pair of road shoes will do just fine most of the time.

Totally serious question - for years I only run in shoes with under ~ 300 miles on them, as that is the recommendation by the "experts". Why would it be ok to use broken down shoes when running trails as opposed to roads?
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    Vibram fivefinger KSO Treks, I love them!

No can do. I need a stability shoe.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Unless you are planning to run on some craggly, rocky trails, an old pair of road shoes will do just fine most of the time.

^^^^Agreed. I started on a treadmill then moved straight to trails. By trails I mean hills, mud, uneven surfaces but nothing like rock climbing or anything. For trails I honestly just use either my old running shoes (dirt, mud is a lot more giving than roads less shock to the system, I feel PLUS on my trails at least I get caked in mud and it kind of ruins the shoes) or my new Brooks Adrenaline. I've never felt I needed special shoes.