What is the big deal with Greek Yogurt?

Options

Replies

• kerryannk
    kerryannk Posts: 148
    Options
    No artificial sweeteners like in "Light" yogurts. Those things are no good for you! Shouldn't touch 'em with a 10 foot pole.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    High protein.

This is the whole greek fad. I'm onboard too, I have one every morning with breakfast. I've even gotten my dad into them, he has started eating them instead of ice cream at night lol
  • lorraine311
    lorraine311 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    LOVE it!!! I add it to my Protein shake!!
  • Sabine321
    Sabine321 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Higher protein, richer taste.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    One word: Protein
  • mygrlz02
    mygrlz02 Posts: 32
    Options
    Lots more protein, more calcium, way less sugar, good for you cultures (especially um, for the ladies)

There are 60-80 calories in a Dannon light and fit and 100 in a Fage 0%, which is also not that wild a difference considering it's much more filling due to the protein.

Dannon:

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/dannon/light-and-fit-yogurt

Fage:

http://www.fageusa.com/products/fage-total-0-percent/

I also prefer the tangy natural flavor and creaminess of Greek yogurt to the overly sweet, somewhat watery taste of processed light yogurts.

Fage is my favorite! Much creamier.
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had no idea, I just thought it was creamier so more calories... thanks for the information !
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Mix it with peanut butter and freeze it - ice cream!
  • Tonika44137
    Tonika44137 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I just started eating greek yogurt...I used to eat the Yoplait Light everyday but once I realized all the artifial sweetners it had I stopped..greek yogurt is more natural and has double the protein so I'll take extra 40 calories I get from it rather the 100cal fake yogurt
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Oh, so many answers!

Fantastic fruit smoothie,especially with any seasonal berries - freeze this and you have ice cream to die for.

Grape nuts stirred in with or without added fruit are lovely for breakfast.

Mix with lemon or lime jiuce, whatever herbs you like,some garlic, a tiny bit of salt and some pepper - marinate overnight any fish or meat you like before cooking it.

That's just immediate thoughts.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    It's a better source of protein but if you get the ones with fruit or just by adding your own fruit to not make it taste like a paste, it increases the carbs substantially plus its 4x the price of regular yogurt therefore the cons outweigh the pros. I've tried it, it's not worth it to me.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    There are 60-80 calories in a Dannon light and fit and 100 in a Fage 0%, which is also not that wild a difference considering it's much more filling due to the protein.

Only 35 cals in Source and Silhouette (non-Greek varieties) and 3g of sugars and most Greek yogurt in Canada (Liberte & Presidents Choice) have 140 cals a serving. Dannon is 100 cals for plain but for $1 each cup vs $0.25 - again still sitting in the con column for me.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Tried it once, didn't like it, back to Activia.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I don't get it either. I think it tastes gross, way too creamy.
    I don't like regular yogourt much either but I can barely stomache greek yogourt.

me too i have tried it plenty of times i dont mind the taste so much as the consistency too thick for me lol
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Oh, so many answers!

Fantastic fruit smoothie,especially with any seasonal berries - freeze this and you have ice cream to die for.

Mix with lemon or lime jiuce, whatever herbs you like,some garlic, a tiny bit of salt and some pepper - marinate overnight any fish or meat you like before cooking it.

Wow, I never thought to freeze it as ice cream ... or marinate with it! Thanks for the new ideas.

I choose Greek yogurt because it has 1/2 the carbs ( I eat plain Faje Total 0) and 3x the protein of something like Dannon Fit & Active. It makes an excellent sub for sour cream or a great base for a salad dressing. I'll also mix it with DaVinci syrup, a T of SF pudding mix or some cocoa powder if I'm looking for something sweet.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    I don't carr for it I think it taters sour and nasty. Like cream cheese gone bad. Lol. But my husband who is from the Balkans loves it. He's from Croatia specifically. For me BLEH!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Oh, so many answers!

Wow, I never thought to freeze it as ice cream ... or marinate with it! Thanks for the new ideas.

I choose Greek yogurt because it has 1/2 the carbs ( I eat plain Faje Total 0) and 3x the protein of something like Dannon Fit & Active. It makes an excellent sub for sour cream or a great base for a salad dressing. I'll also mix it with DaVinci syrup, a T of SF pudding mix or some cocoa powder if I'm looking for something sweet.

The marinated meat (or beans/paneer/tofu for vegetarians) is also fab if you mix in curry herbs and spices as part of the marinating, yogurt makes food more digestible as as it breaks down the fibres.
  • mahutch1
    mahutch1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That sounds like an awesome idea! I love peanut butter ice cream but can never find it. And now that I'm diabetic, it's really hard to have my fix. I will definitely try it!
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I think it is disgusting, it had the consistency of a glass of milk that has been sitting out for a couple of days and tasted like it too. Bleghhh!
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get into it for the protein. The Chobani Apple Cinnamon tastes awesome. I just can't stand the smell of it. Hopefully, I'll get over it soon.