Women lifting weights

Options
I know that weight lifting for women is great. I have done enough research about it to know that. My question is where to begin and what to do. I want to lift weights but really know nothing about a regimen or plan to go about it, much less what half of the lifts look like. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I am currently 217 lbs. and 5'6. So in the beginning stages. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Google compound lifts and put together a routine from there or better yet pick up the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Great book with tons of info and 6 months of routines that deliver great reults as long as you put the effort in. Good luck!
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to just go to the gym and start working out! Watch others, get a personal training session, or just TRY to use the different machines to get used to them and see what body parts they work out. Aim for working out various body parts (i.e. don't just do legs) doing a couple of sets of 8-12 repetitions with easy resistance on each machine. This website has videos demonstrating many exercises: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/tone.html. Better yet, go with a friend who knows how to work out for a quick lesson. Good luck.
  • Jpchavez
    Jpchavez Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend the basics:

Dead Lift
    Bench Press
    Military Press
    Squats
    Pull Ups (or Lat Pull Downs)

You can google or youtube each exercise to see how they are done. Each of them, except the last one listed, can be done with dumbbells as well.
  • knikkiola
    knikkiola Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i just started lifting yesterday i'm using the new rules of lifting for women it looks like a great program and explains how to perform each exercise plus when to increase your weights im fnding it really useful!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I know that weight lifting for women is great. I have done enough research about it to know that. My question is where to begin and what to do. I want to lift weights but really know nothing about a regimen or plan to go about it, much less what half of the lifts look like. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I am currently 217 lbs. and 5'6. So in the beginning stages. Thanks in advance :)

Buy "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippletoe. It's the best investment as a beginning weight lifter that you can make.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to just go to the gym and start working out! Watch others, get a personal training session, or just TRY to use the different machines to get used to them and see what body parts they work out. Aim for working out various body parts (i.e. don't just do legs) doing a couple of sets of 8-12 repetitions with easy resistance on each machine. This website has videos demonstrating many exercises: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/tone.html. Better yet, go with a friend who knows how to work out for a quick lesson. Good luck.

Id stay away from just wandering in the gym, and watching people can cause you way more problems then it's worth, I look around my gym and find 80% of the people doing something wrong form wise.

like others have said get a book and read up, this will not take the place of learning good form though, Id either reccomend a friend that you know is knowledgable in the subject that can teach correct posture or a GOOD personal trainer, note that not all trainers will actually teach you good form.

beyond that bodybuilding.com has tons of structured programs and videos and articles to follow if you want a program
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Mark Rippetoe has tons of youtube videos demonstrating form & technique. Watch those, then try them with the bar only until you are comfortable with your form.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

Buy "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippletoe. It's the best investment as a beginning weight lifter that you can make.

This.

ETA: If you're smart, you can find it free online.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • Effy826
    Effy826 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second week of Stronglifts 5x5. I followed a different program before but it was a 6 day a week lifting program which is a little much in my opinion.