I can't eat more :-(

Options
Okay so I am slightly confused. FOR example: If someone has a calorie goal of 1500 and after eating and exercise their net calories are only 1100 do they have to eat more? I am under my calorie goal everyday. Some days more so than others but is that a bad thing? Today I have had breakfast, lunch, and exercised and I have 1239 calories remaining. I can't imagine eating that many calories for dinner on a healthy diet. Plus I'm suppose to go out for a walk with my husband after her gets off of work so that is going to be even more calories burned. Can someone please clarify this for me please?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    What is the upper limit for dinner calories on a "healthy diet?"
  • xosmsox
    xosmsox Posts: 119
    Options
    Yes eat, I love peanut butter. It's high in healthy fats, protein and calories. You could try that (:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same thing. I eat 1800 calories a day. Does that make my diet "unhealthy"?
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, cottage cheese, yogurt, and nuts are all high in calorie, healthy, and could be added in as a snack to increase your calories.

I just had a pb on whole wheat bread with my soup so I could increase my calories.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'll often have 1000 calories left after lunch, and it would be hard to eat that many calories worth of nutritious foods in one meal. A normal dinner for me is chicken or fish, rice and vegetables and that's mayb 500 calories. Some days I do end up with 300 or more calories left at bed time. I do try to get at least 1200 net though. I'll have rice cakes with peanut butter in the afternoon, a nonfat latte (although I could probably have a full fat one, I just can't bring myself to do it), and I've thought about having luna or clif bars on hand for those days. Do try to get your minimum net though, so you don't mess up your metabolism long term.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options

I am with this.
    I had an 1100 calorie meal the other day. Why? Because I burned some ridiculous amount of calories because of my activity. The meal was lean protein and veggies.
    The whole deal is calories in and calories out. If you eat all your calories at one time of the day it doesn't matter. (other than you might get hungry before you should be eating more.)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    The metabolic rate used on this site is an estimate - no more, no less. It may be miscalculated for you. Having said that, the estimates seem to be pretty good for most people.

If you're losing weight at a modest and healthy pace and feel healthy and energetic, then you're probably good. Concentrate on keeping your fats and proteins up to somewhere around site-recommended levels and let the carbs fall where they may. Keep the sugars down and the complex carbs up.

You might also want to talk to your doctor or a nutritionist about what your metabloic rate REALLY is and adjust the numbers on your account here accordingly. But if you feel like you have plenty of energy and don't get dizzy after workouts or anything, you're probably good.

If you find that you're feeling tired all the time, it's possible you aren't eating enough, and your metabolic rate is low. You CAN lose weight this way, but it's going to be slower and you won't be able to build muscle as effectively during your workouts, and it's no fun being tired all the time anyway.

Maintaining weight is all about the calories you eat and the calories you burn being in equilibrium. Calorie intake is easy to measure, calorie burn is harder.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I am with this.
    I had an 1100 calorie meal the other day. Why? Because I burned some ridiculous amount of calories because of my activity. The meal was lean protein and veggies.
    The whole deal is calories in and calories out. If you eat all your calories at one time of the day it doesn't matter. (other than you might get hungry before you should be eating more.)

I had a 1,500 meal for supper on Sunday, and I really wasn't hungry for it, but I did 30 miles on the bicycle that day training for the Trek Across Maine, and I had not eaten any lunch except for a Clif bar mid-ride. Fortunately, I had a bunch of venison in the fridge (VERY lean meat). I ate a tremendous amount of that, lots of fruit and veggies, a couple of glasses of wine, and still left 1,000 calories "on the table" at the end of the day.

When I do the Trek (60 miles a day for three days), I shudder to think of what I'm going to "have" to eat. :)