becoming a vegetarian...

Options

Replies

• leiba
    leiba Posts: 12
    Options
    Here are some good recipe websites:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/home.asp
    This one has lots of healthy recipes, reviews and a vegetarian section.

This one is created by a supper innovated healthy lovin' cook in San Francisco, CA. I LOVE her recipes... and almost all of them are vegetarian.

http://www.101cookbooks.com/

Also, recipezaar.com is great for searching by low fat or vegetarian or different types of foods... like African, Mediterranean, Cuban, etc... and by method... slow cooker, etc.. or by ingredient alone! I use it alot! You can save your favorite recipes you find and upload recipes.

Awesome websites! THANK YOU!

Oh, and I meant "super innovative healthy..." ... haha... when I don't pay attention, who knows what I will write! haha... glad you enjoyed!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    We were created to eat meat. Our eyes are in the front of our head and we have canine teeth.

True...but God also gave us free will. We have the option to eat meat or not. Animals go by instincts not reasoning.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    We were created to eat meat. Our eyes are in the front of our head and we have canine teeth.

Most likely we were created to be scavengers, foragers, and carrion eaters, as noted by our molars, incisors, canines, the presence of an appendix, and by our primate cousins' dietary behaviors.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options

I was not created to eat meat. My body does not digest it properly and this was the cause of intestinal issues I've dealt with all my life. Just a few days after giving it up I was feeling better.

Just because you don't agree with us doesn't make us wrong.
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    dude, don't judge. We don't judge you, so please don't be rude.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think Max was just trying to be funny...on another note...Quinoa...complete protein and absolutely delicious...breakfast, lunch and dinner. One of my favourite things is to make a Greek salad and add quinoa to it...s:flowerforyou: ort of like a Greek pasta salad...
  • lisalocket24
    Options
    That's right don't be rude. Matter of fact all of the other meat eating animals (lions for instance) have intestines half the size of ours, so therefore taking our stomachs twice as long to digest. So the rottening decaing animal carcasses is just sitting in our bodies. Bon appe'tit.

I have only been a veggie for about two weeks and i dont miss it at all! But i do i have all of my friends and family asking me if i have eaten meat yet! I feel great and have learned alot from the book "skinny b*tch" Its not for the lighthearted it has very strong language, but a great read.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    That's right don't be rude. Matter of fact all of the other meat eating animals (lions for instance) have intestines half the size of ours, so therefore taking our stomachs twice as long to digest. So the rottening decaing animal carcasses is just sitting in our bodies. Bon appe'tit.

I have only been a veggie for about two weeks and i dont miss it at all! But i do i have all of my friends and family asking me if i have eaten meat yet! I feel great and have learned alot from the book "skinny b*tch" Its not for the lighthearted it has very strong language, but a great read.

That book was the reason I gave up meat in the first place... couldn't stomach the thought of it. And then a few days later, I realized that the constant and often stabbing pain on my lower right side was gone. It was weird, because I'd had it for so long and the doctor couldn't figure out what it was, and I'd just learned to live with it, and then *poof*... it was gone.
  • MissVitaVonCherry
    MissVitaVonCherry Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: There is an awesome cook book called Veginomicon i believe and it is a veggies delight for cooking great fmaily meals, check it out on amazon or what not!
    Goodluck!:bigsmile:
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Another great book is called "Okay, so now you're a Vegetarian" by Lauren Butts. It gives a lot of information about good sources of various nutritional requirements as well as some general definitions of words that new veggies may not know (such as what tempeh and quinoa actually). There are some awesome recipes in there. The first time I dropped meat, it was a life saver for me. Now I have a little larger budget and own my own kitchen and I rely on "Vegetarian Planet" by DiDi Emmons. It has a few more exotic ingredients and assumes that you can cook, but it's also got a bunch of recipes, so you can pick and choose. Many mainstream cookbooks, such as some of the Rachael Ray titles have options to alter the recipe to leave out the meat or may have a vegetarian section. It takes a bit of work sometimes, but that's part of why I like being a vegetarian. Sometimes we have to plan ahead and that makes me make better choices, before I would find myself eating Cheeseburgers and chicken wings because I had no real rules about what I would or would not eat. :drinker:
  • lisalocket24
    Options
    Another question I had was becoming vegeterian is will there be a noticeable weightloss. Other than feeling better, i have probally lost a pound or two.
  • srtakelch
    srtakelch Posts: 24
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian all my life (vegetarian parents) and right now I'm thinking the opposite. I want to start eating meat so I can increase my protein, have a more balanced diet and lose weight.

I would say: DO NOT become a vegetarian only because you think it will help you lose weight. It probably won't. If you have moral or emotional objections to meat or you want to be healthier (which is different than losing weight) or if you think that vegetarianism is more environmentally sustainable, fine. But simply being a vegetarian will not automatically make you lose weight.

If you want to be a vegetarian, you need to be prepared to:

1. shop at multiple stores & spend more time shopping - ALDI is my one stop shop for the rest of my family. Then, for my food I have to go to Wal-mart and sometimes yet another store to find soy products, TVP, veggie burgers, etc.

2. spend more money on food - prepared foods like frozen dinners cost way more when they're marketed to "vegetarians." It's five bucks for four Boca burgers, or four morning star corndogs. My weekly food budget for me is easily double that of my meat eating finace.

3. deal with people - besides the constant questioning about WHY you're a vegetarian, people will also ask "do vegetarians eat chicken?" and other stupid questions. My extended family also makes me feel bad by trying to accomodate me at family dinners, which usually results in them making something either really nasty or really unhealthy that I then have to eat and pretend to like.
  • moe64
    moe64 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this site but I had read your vegetarian request for quick easy meals. I made a salad tonight that was out of this world, Quinoa Salad with Corn and Black Beans! If it sounds interesting google it and you will come across the recipe. It has of course quinoa, corn, black beans, feta, grape tomatoes and a lovely mexican dressing. If you decide to try it I hope you enjoy, I did.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options

True...but God also gave us free will. We have the option to eat meat or not. Animals go by instincts not reasoning.

Bravo! Love you response!! Yes, we have the teeth but if you use that logic you would then believe that we cannot go above and beyond how we were born? Then those who were born heavy shouldnt even try??? .... Im fine with people who think differently and eat differently, just interesting how the train of thought inst really though out just regurgitated back...
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

Bravo! Love you response!! Yes, we have the teeth but if you use that logic you would then believe that we cannot go above and beyond how we were born? Then those who were born heavy shouldnt even try??? .... Im fine with people who think differently and eat differently, just interesting how the train of thought inst really though out just regurgitated back...

Thank you. The truth is simple...it's the acceptance that takes time.
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Well said girls....well said.
  • firepixie
    firepixie Posts: 65
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm vegan so even dairy and eggs are out, which really limits eating out in most restaurant. Hemp seed are a complete protien with 11gr of it in 2 tbsp, at 160 calories, not to mention omega fatty acids. I put them in my cereal or as the protien in smooties, just blend them in. They took a little getting use to so start out small, now I love them. I just started on this website and I always wondered if I was getting enough protien. I have hit or gone over my protien everyday so far. Everything has protien in it, it just depends how much. I don't think just becoming vegetarian will make you lose weight, it is a matter of calories in vs calories out, just like the meat eaters.
  • karibari
    karibari Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    wow, great to know there's so much veg support on this site!

i was veg most of my life, even vegan in grad school but then got cancer and quit caring about what i ate. I have recently (two weeks ago) re-converted back to veganism...mostly because that is what the Physician's Committee of Responsible Medicine recommends to prevent cancer from starting or recurring.

Check out www.thecancerproject.org for great recipe ideas as well as cooking classes that might be in your area. they are offered free to cancer survivors, caregivers, friends etc. It's all vegan but the recipes and suprisingly good.

I am also a mother of 3 and want my children to choose whether or not they eat meat. My husband also eats meat. So we try to make dinners that accomodate both of us....
    Mexican (he has beef burritos or tacos, I have bean), burgers (i get Bocas), chili (vegetarian), sandwich/soup, salads (he adds grilled chicken, i add garbanzo beans).....

I have met my protein requirements without any problems just eating beans almost every day. I can't stand tofu or any mock meat, including tempeh or TVP. I choke down a boca burger every now and then but otherwise i pretty much only eat fruit, veggies, and whole grains.

good luck to you! i can't wait to find the veg page on here! i'm new and still figuring this site out!