Help!! I am so confused!

Options
:huh: :sad: I want to know how many calories I should be eating! MPF says 1210, but I'm reading otherwise on other sites? How do you figure out how many to eat? I'm 5'6, female, and weigh 153. I have a desk job but I workout 3-4 days a week.

ANY help or suggestions would be great! THANKS! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• MaddiesMommyLove
    Options
    Hi! :bigsmile: MFP gives you the amount of cals you would need to stay under in order to achieve your weight loss goal within a certain time frame. It doesn't give a general amount you should be eating per day to maintain your current weight unless you enter that you just want to maintain your weight and not lose. It looks like your weight loss goal is 30lbs (with a 9 lb weight loss so far! GREAT job :) so what MFP does, is tracks your calories and subtracts any exercise to give you your deficit of cals and tracks your cals throughout the day to let you know how many cals you can consume to achieve the weight loss within X amount of weeks. Hope that helps!
  • tiffaneenicole
    Options
    Hey Newve!

What are your ultimate goals - I know it is to lose an overall 30lbs, but do you want to get more muscular or just tone? When you say working out... do you do a lot of cardio, do you lift, etc? Maybe I can help you...

Tiffany
    tiffanystaples.com
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    :huh: :sad: I want to know how many calories I should be eating! MPF says 1210, but I'm reading otherwise on other sites? How do you figure out how many to eat? I'm 5'6, female, and weigh 153. I have a desk job but I workout 3-4 days a week.

ANY help or suggestions would be great! THANKS! :flowerforyou:

Based on your stats you should eat about 1800-1900 calories per day. I generally aim for 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. I would also suggest at least 3 days of weight training. And if you can fit a cardio day in that works too. If you want more cardio then turn one ST day into a lower and upper body workout for the anaerobic effect. Example is squat and overhead press.
  • newve
    newve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    What are your ultimate goals - to tone not get too muscular. When I workout i usually do Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred or Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds.

What I really need to know is if 1210 enough calories for me or should I raise my intake?
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    What are your ultimate goals - to tone not get too muscular. When I workout i usually do Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred or Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds.

What I really need to know is if 1210 enough calories for me or should I raise my intake?

1. Stop listening to Jillian Michaels.
    2. Calculate maintenance caloric intake.
    3. Set caloric deficit as a percentage of #2.
    4. Set protein
    5. Set fat
    6. Set carbs
  • phillips529
    phillips529 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    This is something you need to determine for yourself, but read this thread it will give you a great start to understanding how many calories you should be consuming for you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/557201-how-to-lose-weight-correctly

Good Luck!
  • phillips529
    phillips529 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    ohh...that's funny...we both posted the same info at the same time. Take a look you won't be wasting your time.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Only problem is the maintenance calorie figures is not finite and not everyone can follow that logic.

Based on that formula, you'd have me needing 1200 more a day to maintain than what my BodyMedia Fit calculates as my TDEE. If I went by that logic, I would definitely be gaining.

The ultimate suggestion is, get the right tools, and talk to the right people who can give you the right plan for you. Those people are more than likely not on MFP.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

An update to my numbers since you do JM and you don't burn tons of calories with those programs. You should be eating 1600 calories. Also, you won't get muscular with those programs and there is NO way to even get close to look like JM herself who is a professional and trains like 3 hours a day and eats like 3000+ calories with a weight training program to back it. Also keep in mind she sells science. You can't believe everything she says.