Pounds vs. Inches

Options
I know that the more accurate measurement of your progress as far as weight loss is concerned is measuring how many inches you've lost instead of pounds, due to water retention, muscle building, fat burning, etc. But I have a question and I haven't been able to find a truly satisfactory answer to it. Maybe someone here can help:

Approximately how many pounds do you have to lose in order to lose an inch? I know that this greatly depends on your height, weight, and other factors, but I'm looking for a general number that can give me some idea. If anyone knows, that would be fantastic.

Replies

• kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    I know that the more accurate measurement of your progress as far as weight loss is concerned is measuring how many inches you've lost instead of pounds, due to water retention, muscle building, fat burning, etc. But I have a question and I haven't been able to find a truly satisfactory answer to it. Maybe someone here can help:

Approximately how many pounds do you have to lose in order to lose an inch? I know that this greatly depends on your height, weight, and other factors, but I'm looking for a general number that can give me some idea. If anyone knows, that would be fantastic.

I lose inches usually before I ever see the scale even move......
  • heygirl1954
    Options
    I am sure everyone is different but I have lost 15 lbs and 16 inches..(bust, waist,hips, thighs, legs)
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. I wonder how that could work as an equation. I think it would depend on your weight loss goals. If you're trying to lose fat but are gaining muscle, wouldn't it skew the result a bit? Because muscle is more dense, so weighs more.... hmmm
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I am another one that the scale does not move, but I am obviously shrinking....................

I lose a lot of inches, then the scale will eventually move..........
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Go by inches always. I just logged in my progress and I have actually gained back my tow pounds plus 8 ounces more...but I've lost 2 inches off my waist and my hips.
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options
    I've been losing pounds and inches. I saw something that stated that if you're bigger, you'll lose weight rather quickly but inches not as quickly. However, if you're smaller, you lose inches more often.

That could be a total load of crap, but based on what I'm seeing with my results, it seems to be true.
  • rinalynn
    rinalynn Posts: 87
    Options
    I am not sure how it is supose to work, I have been working out for several months watching what I eat and the scale doesn't move the only way I see a difference is through pictures. Just did my measurements and not much of a change. I think it depends on your body type.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I've been losing pounds and inches. I saw something that stated that if you're bigger, you'll lose weight rather quickly but inches not as quickly. However, if you're smaller, you lose inches more often.

That could be a total load of crap, but based on what I'm seeing with my results, it seems to be true.

You're probably right. I only weigh 95.8 lbs and I've lost inches and gained back some weight. (keep in mine that I'm only 5 feet tall)