Counting Fruit & Veggies

Options
I need to know if anyone else does this, but I do not count fresh veggies or fruit in my calorie intake. I have still lost, but I feel that since it is so natural that it does not need to be counted. I have still lost weight each week, so I must not be doing something that bad.

Does anyone else do this? Any advice to why you would count them?

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I count them because they contain calories. The closer you get to your goal weight the less room there is for error.
  • crystallayne
    crystallayne Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I also count them because they contain calories. I could eat 8 pounds of lettuce and would still gain wait because 2000 calories of lettuce is still 2000 calories. Fruit has crazy calories! Good luck!
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    I count everything. Fresh fruit and veg pack a calorie punch depending on what you eat.
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I need to know if anyone else does this, but I do not count fresh veggies or fruit in my calorie intake. I have still lost, but I feel that since it is so natural that it does not need to be counted. I have still lost weight each week, so I must not be doing something that bad.

Does anyone else do this? Any advice to why you would count them?

Just because they're "natural" doesn't mean that they don't contain calories--fruits, in fact, can have a lot of calories (a medium banana can have around 100 calories). I count them to make sure I'm staying within my calorie intake. You're probably losing a little less than you could be losing if you counted them--or, on the flip side, if you're continuously under your calories without counting them, they might make up the calories you have left, thus allowing you to keep losing.
  • mamaw322
    mamaw322 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I count fruits but do not count non-starchy veggies. I eat a reasonable amount of veggies, but if I were going to eat tons of them I would probably count them. I used to be on Weight Watchers and this always worked for me.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Oh my..... wow, yes, I count them. Fruit, in particular, has a lot of calories.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Do I count every bite of celery or cucumber??? Not really, but I absolutely count fruit and salads and carrots (they are a little higher carb) and other veggies. Now if someone has a little veggie tray and I pick up a small piece of broccoli or two I don't worry unless I dip, which I typically don't anymore.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Ahhh I find this a bit bizarre... But then I'm a bit OCD! I count everything! Even spices that may add 1 or 2 calories per serve... I figure I want to be as honest and controlled as possible about this. That way, I can be as effective as possible in acheiving my goals.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Firstly, I want to make sure I'm getting the fiber and potassium I need. If I let my potassium level drop too low I get horrible muscle cramps.

Secondly, looking just at the last few days, yesterday and the day before I ate over 400 calories worth of vegetables/fruit. I am sure that not tracking these would cause issues since my deficit isn't that big anyway. If I were going to not track fruits/veggies, I would need to make my deficit bigger to account for that.
  • lnfunchess
    Options
    I count everything that goes in my mouth. Even down to the tic tac's and chewing gun.
  • StephySands
    Options
    Absolutely! I count them because I could eat a TON of fruit if I'm not careful and in reality I should be eating a good mix of fruit and green veggies. Plus I like to know if I'm getting my 5 servings of fruit and vegetables a day.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I count them because they contain calories. The closer you get to your goal weight the less room there is for error.

This is very true. I started off at over 1600cals now down to just 1360cals.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Count everything, because everything counts.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    YOu may be getting this from the new Weight Watchers program where whole fruits (and veggies) aren't counted. The WW system has points (calories) worked into its system already - they really aren't free.

I would say - let the scale be your guide. If you really don't want to count them and you continue to lose, so be it. If you are stalling or losing very slowly - may want to start counting.

I LOVE fruit and could really do some damage - especially in summer when everything is so delicious.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I probably eat about 200-300 calories of fresh fruits and veggies each day. Of course I count them!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I count everything. You would be surprised how it adds up. Have a great day.
  • ania0307
    ania0307 Posts: 49
    Options
    i count everything, I mean EVERYTHING ! if i have 1 peanut I add it, same with a slice of cucumber etc :)
    all the little things add, fruit and veg too- easy to have 400-500 calories just of fruit and veg - they're healthy but if someone is monitoring calories i recommend couning fruit and veg too :)
  • Arestoktra
    Options
    Ahhh I find this a bit bizarre... But then I'm a bit OCD! I count everything! Even spices that may add 1 or 2 calories per serve... I figure I want to be as honest and controlled as possible about this. That way, I can be as effective as possible in acheiving my goals.

Same here. I even counted baking soda and baking powder once (then realized they don't have any calories).
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals and add in the healthy stuff first then if I have room I add in some junk or know I have so many calories for a snack.
  • TotalTiger
    Options
    I count the lot - even herbs. If I eat it, it's counted.