do you wonder what will happen when you meet your goal?

Options
i worry that i will gain it all back if im not working as hard as i am now, im dieting the right way, eating healthy 5 times a day and cardio excersise. so i know the whole "if you dont lose it healthy youll gain it all back" but what happens when you reach your goal weight, will you have to work as hard to maintain? if so that sucks!!! i dont mind going for a morning jog to maintain but to excersise as much as i am now wich is usually walking 2 miles and an hour of zumba, i guess what im saying is when i get down to my goal weight i want to be able to enjoy it, not resent it and keep having to work super hard.....

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    i worry that i will gain it all back if im not working as hard as i am now, im dieting the right way, eating healthy 5 times a day and cardio excersise. so i know the whole "if you dont lose it healthy youll gain it all back" but what happens when you reach your goal weight, will you have to work as hard to maintain? if so that sucks!!! i dont mind going for a morning jog to maintain but to excersise as much as i am now wich is usually walking 2 miles and an hour of zumba, i guess what im saying is when i get down to my goal weight i want to be able to enjoy it, not resent it and keep having to work super hard.....

This is a lifestyle change. Nothing will change as far as my behaviour goes, but I guess there will have to be some calorie adjustment.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Well, good habits are a lifestyle, and yes, you will have to keep them up to maintain your hard work. Personally, a big shift I've made is that I DO enjoy working out and eating well. It's not work, just becoming what I do.

Good luck.
  • Songbirdy
    Songbirdy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Due to medical issues my doctor advised me to hold my weight for 3 months as opposed to working on weight loss.

I was, prior to this, really worried about 'once I've reached my goal' like you mentioned.

What I've learned is that I have relaxed on the food/caloric intake, but stayed within the guidelines as MFP has them for weight maintenance. Still, I've actually kept up the exercise without too much thought. In fact, I've added more!

Anyhow, while I fluctuate and likely always will, it has been much easier to maintain weight.

I do struggle occasionally with the desire to just eat whatever, but for the most part maintaining has been easy and hasn't required tracking everyday. Its more of an issue of being aware and tracking days that I know won't be normal so that I don't go off too badly.

What I have been finding is that if I am heading up I increase the exercise without eating back the calories until its back in track. Whereas in weight loss mode I reduce the calories and eat back part or most of my exercise calories. In maintenance I just add an extra work out or go a bit further but leave the food alone.