17 day diet

Options

Replies

• MichelleRenee12344
    MichelleRenee12344 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm starting day one in the morning.
    I bought a weeks worth of veggies and lean meat today. Was wondering if anyone uses Activia Light instead of Greek Yogurt. ?
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    17 days? I'm in it for the long haul. No gimmicks, pills, fads, or no-carb, lo-carb, just a healthy diet with a calorie deficit.
  • 4my2jays
    4my2jays Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I did it to jump start my weight loss and loss about 9lbs during cycle 1, 4lbs and 8.5inches during cycle 2, 4 lbs on cycle 3. I have just been using mfp for right now but will be starting cycle 1 again soon. I really enjoyed it and it really taught me how to make beyter choices food wise and to cut out white sugar and.flour. I still eat in some cases the 17 day diet way but want yo strictly follow cycle 1 again.
  • 4my2jays
    4my2jays Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    what is it??????

It is basically a diet plan that cuts out most carbs and sugars for 17 days then slowly reintroduces whole grains and fruit sugars during two additional 17 day cycles.

The calorie count is extremely low for the first 17 days, less than 1200. But maybe I just didn't eat enough protein or food yesterday. You can see what I'm eating in my diary.

Actually do not follow the meal plan in the book because the calories are too too low. I am a part of a FB group and they will also tell you the same.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    what is it??????

It is basically a diet plan that cuts out most carbs and sugars for 17 days then slowly reintroduces whole grains and fruit sugars during two additional 17 day cycles.

The calorie count is extremely low for the first 17 days, less than 1200. But maybe I just didn't eat enough protein or food yesterday. You can see what I'm eating in my diary.

Sorry, but this is NOT true. The calorie count is as high or as low as you make it. Vegetables and protein are unlimited, and you are supposed to eat when you're hungry. You're also supposed to eat a minimum of 1200 calories (net) per day.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Despite the plan's title,you will not lose weight quickly and keep it off after being on this plan for only 17 days.

Also, Moreno’s weightloss theory of metabolic adjustment to burn fat is based on misrepresented studies.

I suggest MFP. It's worked for me and bazillions of other people.

I'm doing the plan along with MFP and actually am planning on gaining a few pounds back but am just curious to see how much weight I do lose. And I figure if I do the first cycle, then maintain for a few weeks then go onto the next cycle and so on and so forth then I shouldn't gain all of the weight back.

But I do agree, you need to go into any eating plan that is similar to this with eyes wide open. There are no easy fixes. If you aren't living the healthy lifestyle before going into it, you won't be able to keep it up after.

If you're not following the sequence of cycles you won't get optimal results. Cycle 2 is about reintroducing starches and grains into your diet, and it should follow Cycle 1 without interruption. The diet is partly based on carb cycling, and the three 17 day cycles are structured the way they are for a reason. Unless you reach your goal weight before then, you should not interrupt until you have finished Cycle 3.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Haha funny enough- I'm currently on Day 13 - Cycle 1! I've been blogging about it since Day 1. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/msliu7911

I'm very happy I started it. I've lost 5 lbs so far... and the way of eating is very sustainable in my opinion. It has helped me to get rid of my cravings for terrible things and somehow its so much easier to say "no" now that I'm following this and seeing some lbs shed. Let me know if you have any questions! :)
  • msliu7911
    Options
    My dad was doing it, and recommended it to me. I just smiled and said ok, I'll look into it, but I didn't actually try it. He had no idea how much weight I'd lost since I haven't seen him since August! He seemed to like it, though. I'll have to ask him if he's still doing it. His coworkers had success. Looks like it gets you to eat healthier if nothing else!

Funny, my dad was the one to tell me to do it. I kept whining about how slow my weight loss was. Then he told me about it, and kept telling me about it. His boss did it with his wife and had amazing results.

Finally he offered to buy the book for me. I have read most of the book. I disagree with a lot of his philosophy, but am hoping I can maintain whatever loss I have during the plan. Like I said previously, I was already eating healthy before but just felt like my body needed a jump start again.

Agreed! I disagree with much of the philosophy and how the expectation is that overweight people are eating a bunch of junk food and don't know what a veggie is.. but it still worked for me once I got past some of the stupid parts!

Haha, ya there are many things in the book I disagree with.. however for the most part I think its a pretty solid plan. :) I'm glad to hear you had so much success from it... 55 lbs is amazing!
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    my results of almost 6 months following the 17 day diet

taken in October 2011

photo.jpg

taken in April 2012

photo-1.jpg

Its not a fad diet -- there is no calorie restrictions -- just plain healthy eating
  • msliu7911
    Options

taken in October 2011

photo.jpg

taken in April 2012

photo-1.jpg

Its not a fad diet -- there is no calorie restrictions -- just plain healthy eating

Wow- this is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats. :)
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I did it for about 30 days last year. I lost 16 lbs and 18 inches overall. I only did the exercise DVD that came with the program and I was able to lose back fat and get really lean. I was in a car accident and got stalled for awhile and gained the weight back but it came back slowly. I was able to maintain 10 lbs of the weight loss for several months when I wasn't even following the plan. I think it works for those who work the plan just like anything else.

I incorporate some of the principles now like including probiotics daily (kefir or supplement) and being sure to have at least 2 fruits by mid-afternoon with a meal or as a snack. But I haven't cut the flour, sugar. My skin was beautiful after doing cycle 1 of the program. And because you can eat unlimited protein and veggies if you are hungry, it doesn't really restrict your calories.
  • MsBrwnSugga
    MsBrwnSugga Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Sounds like ordering a diet coke with your big mac.
  • chasingbabes
    Options
    I'm a fan. I got the book in January from my in-laws. (they also did the plan). I started at 157 and am currently a happy 123. I am maintaining just fine. I also use MPF to track my food, exercise and progress. I did find the book to be confusing at times. The FB group is a better source for information than the customer service/question line from the book. I think what I liked most about the plan was that it taught me what to eat and what moderation is. :-). My new adventure is now adding lifting to my day. If I gain some weight, who cares? I am just striving to be FIT at 40. MFP has been invaluable along the way!!
  • slightlycrunchy
    slightlycrunchy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Basically, it's a clean eating, low carb, very low calorie diet. 1200 calories, which is the minimum recommendation, is going to be too low for most people, and forget about following the meal plan. It's been awhile since I figured the calories on the phase 1 meal plans, but iirc most days are around 850.

There's nothing wrong with the diet in theory, if you don't mind a really restricted diet plan and can manage to get enough calories in while following it.
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options

You are the reason I am thinking of trying this again, but this time while using MFP!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    What happens the 18th day?

Diets are temporary. If you aren't going to eat and live that diet the rest of your life, you'll gain weight back. This has been ongoing for decades now.

Learn to control your caloric intake/output. That's really all weight loss/gain/maintenance is all about.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^ this exactly.

I actually find the entire diet industry frustrating.
    Calories in vs calories out is the best thing that ever happened to me.
  • Figment14300
    Options
    BUMP