Can this be counted as excercise?

Options
I work in a deli. I'm on my feet for 8hours/day. Can I log this in as walking at a slow pace? I'm not sure if I can count this or not because it's not like I'm continuously walking for 8 hours( as if on a track and my heart is pumping fast).
Instead of logging it for 8 hrs, maybe do 4 hours instead.

Replies

• alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Change your activity from sedentary to lightly active
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    that is part of your daily routine and should be reflected when you set your calories
    you should have listed "lightly" active or modertate active etc
  • ashiggins
    ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When you're setting up your goals, choose a higher activity level based on your job. For instance, choose lightly or moderately active instead of sedentary. This will figure in the fact that you're on your feet for the majority of the day and give you a higher calorie goal.

Edit: Everyone beat me to it! Haha
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Yup
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    probably moderately rather than lightly active. But perhaps play about a bit with your settings and see what works best for you.
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    I wondered about this too. I sit for work and bus ride home. So I try to stand as much as possible otherwise. What I looked up was that standing burns about 50 calories more per hour than sitting. So I think you could at least credit yourself 50 calories * 8hours = 400calories. But do you also walk around, carry trays of food etc?? This would increase your burn! Good luck on your journey!
  • willis84
    willis84 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have my activity level set at active since I workout 5days/wk.
    I was just wondering if I can include this as part of my cardio
  • willis84
    Options
    It and and walk around and carry things, sometimes quite heavy things.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask, you probably shouldn't count it.

It is part of your normal everyday life. When you choose your activity level as active, MFP will take that into account when it creates your deficit. If you log it as exercise , it's like logging it twice.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    No, you don't want to do this as you will be consuming too many calories. If you work out 5x per week plus working on your feet, set yourself to highly active
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask, you probably shouldn't count it.

It is part of your normal everyday life. When you choose your activity level as active, MFP will take that into account when it creates your deficit. If you log it as exercise , it's like logging it twice.

^^ This.
  • willis84
    Options
    Then why include any other excercise then? Your still burning the calories aren't you?
  • alikat42
    Options
    Then why include any other excercise then? Your still burning the calories aren't you?

Most people ( but certainly not all ) people on MFP set their activity level to reflect their job only, and then log purposeful exercise.
  • willis84
    Options
    Thank you so much alikat43! That's exactly the answer that I was looking for.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    you should *count* your workouts, and set your activity level based on your daily routine excluding purposeful exercise. ..
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

Most people ( but certainly not all ) people on MFP set their activity level to reflect their job only, and then log purposeful exercise.

This is exactly what I was going to say - your activity level should be set at whatever you would do on a normal day - then any actual exercise you do would be what you log as exercise.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

You burn calories when you sleep, when you sit, when you stand, etc. Are you going to log those, too? MFP already takes your NORMAL, DAY TO DAY activity. It says EXERCISE, so count exercise (ex: running, intervals, circuit training, lifting weight, etc whatever).
    It seems to me that you are trying to take the easy way out.
  • elishabeish
    elishabeish Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yup
  • willis84
    Options
    When I set my daily activity level, should the classes I do at the gym be factored into this?
    Or is daily activity level with my day to day movement before gym? If that makes sense
    Delete ^
  • alikat42
    Options
    When I set my daily activity level, should the classes I do at the gym be factored into this?
    Or is daily activity level with my day to day movement before gym? If that makes sense

Set your activity level to reflect your job. Because you are on your feet all day, I would try lightly active. Then log your purposeful exercises (such as running, classes at the gym, weight lifting, etc).