Suggestions

Options
Ok, I usually go to the gym in some over sized sweat pants or capris and long t-shirts............

I am starting to get more into strength training and want to "try" and start jogging on the treadmill or start getting on the elliptical machine.........

Plus, I am going to start running on days I am in my office at lunch. We have an outdoor track a block away..........

What suggestions do you guys have for workout gear?? I have 4 good pair of shoes, so that isn't a worry, it is the shorts, t-shirts, tanks, etc that I dont want to look like a cow when I am in public.......

I want cute workout gear like I used to wear when i weighed 130 pounds and was in the army and fit.

Replies

• kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    I know that I look smaller in darker colors and I know wearing the same color (top and bottom) gives a slimming effect (:
    I need some new workout clothes as well....time to go shopping :love:

Good luck with your jogging/running. I am also wanting to start this! Let me know how you do...maybe we can hold each other accountable for at least "trying" to run :happy:
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Gosh, whenever I go shopping I always want to buy workout clothes but they're all so EXPENSIVE!! :sick: I like TJ Maxx or Marshalls because they have all sorts of brands so you can try all types of stuff out. I ususally work out in pants (black work out yoga pants I think are slimming) and things of that nature and tank tops because when I run I feel like the sleeves get in the way.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of pairs of yoga pants and I love them. I got them at Old Navy and they feeli like I am not wearing anything :blushing:
  • kristine518
    Options
    I recently needed some new workout clothes too. If I use a public gym at a hotel I don't want to look like a homeless dork. It's one thing to work out in my own home in a crummy old t-shirt.
    Kohl's has a huge section of really cute workout tops, capris, etc. and they always seem to be on sale. I shop with my 15% to 30% off coupon I get in the mail and it's even better! They actually have cute colors and coordinating outfits including a zip-up jacket. Good name brands as well... Nike, Adidas, etc. I don't work for Kohl's... just shop there a lot.
    Good luck with your running!
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Ok, I usually go to the gym in some over sized sweat pants or capris and long t-shirts............

I am starting to get more into strength training and want to "try" and start jogging on the treadmill or start getting on the elliptical machine.........

Plus, I am going to start running on days I am in my office at lunch. We have an outdoor track a block away..........

What suggestions do you guys have for workout gear?? I have 4 good pair of shoes, so that isn't a worry, it is the shorts, t-shirts, tanks, etc that I dont want to look like a cow when I am in public.......

I want cute workout gear like I used to wear when i weighed 130 pounds and was in the army and fit.

I go to Marshalls to get my workout gear 50% off retail and lots of choices, clearance section you can get bottoms for $5 and tops for $3. I dont like Big 5 or big name sporting stores, TOO EXPENSIVE!

Anyhow I usually wear black leggings, I have 3 pairs of those and I wear a tank underneath a t-shirt or another tank. Sometimes I wear small short over my leggings with a fitting tee but my body is not ready to wear just shorts out there like that, need to do more running. I like the leggings because they cling to me and are not baggy like sweats, I feel like sweats get in the way.
  • Sara2525
    Sara2525 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just got a cute pair of running shorts at Academy for $12 and I wear them with layering tanks. They are black and white so I usually wear a black tank over a white giving that same color/slimming look. You can get coupons on the Old Navy site and use them in the store and even Walmart is starting to carry more workout gear. Good luck!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I have like four pairs of yoga pants from H & M, I LOVE them. Whenever I go I grab another pair becasue I don't want to run out in case they stop making them.

I also get Tshirts from sporting good stores. They can be expensive, but wearing something that breathes and is made of the moisture wicking material is so much more comfortable than just a regular Tshirt.

Though one thing I have noticed, is I too used to work out in oversized Tshirts. But now that I'm wearing the more fitted ones, I feel way bigger and heavy when I wear the oversized shirts.....the way they hang, they actually make you look and feel bigger.

But I can still find the fitted workout shirts in my size (large or XL), and a good trick in case one is a tad bit small, is to wear it overtop a long sleeve shirt that's longer....espeically if you're working out in chilly early morning or late at night weather.

I understand the self consciousness....I finally started wearing tanks last summer because I hate my arms, but honestly, everyone at the gym is focused on their own workout so if you feel more comfortable working out in a tank, nobody will really notice.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone...............

I ended up buying 2 more pair of tennis shoes today. :noway: :noway:

I got shorts and tanks in black, grey and a cute brown and pink combination. I got shoes to match the brown and pink. I also got a pink and white tank to go with the white, pink and orange shoes.............

I am an absolute shoe fanatic!! :blushing: :blushing:

I also bought an New Balance HRM to wear (it is a mans), it is a wrist watch and it is was 40% off the regular price. So, I got it for $42.00
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Where I live in a very rural area, we don't have TJ Maxx, Marshalls or Ross......... :angry:

I have Kohl's, Wal-mart, Target or the Big Name Stores like ****s Sporting Goods, Macy's, Dillards, etc.......

I shop mostly at Kohls and Wal-mart.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I love WalMart's Danskin line!!! It's affordable and very cute!
    I bet you look terrific in the new gear! When I went from oversized t's and baggy pants, to t-shirts that fit and shorts ~ everyone thought I'd lost a ton of weight! I hadn't, it was just proof that oversize can make you look that way! So get ready for some compliments! :wink:
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I recently needed some new workout clothes too. If I use a public gym at a hotel I don't want to look like a homeless dork. It's one thing to work out in my own home in a crummy old t-shirt.
    Kohl's has a huge section of really cute workout tops, capris, etc. and they always seem to be on sale. I shop with my 15% to 30% off coupon I get in the mail and it's even better! They actually have cute colors and coordinating outfits including a zip-up jacket. Good name brands as well... Nike, Adidas, etc. I don't work for Kohl's... just shop there a lot.
    Good luck with your running!

How could I forget about Kohl's?! :blushing: I always shop there for my fitness clothes and if you shop in the clearance section they have some GREAT deals! I like the Fila clothes they sell there, too.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i love lululemon. they are expensive but so worth it. my fav pair of pants by them is reversable and has got the pocket in the waistband for money, keys, and my cell phone even fits in there...or mp3 player for jogging!