As long as I'm trying every day, it will happen, right?

Options
I have been heavy/obese my whole life. As a child, I had no siblings and there were no kids my age range on my street. My mother was overprotective to the point she would disapprove of any friends I made at school and never allowed me to play outside. I mostly spent my time playing video games and watching television and getting fatter and fatter. When I moved out of the house, I didn't know how to cook, so I ate processed foods every day and since I was never in the habit of getting any exercise, I continued gaining weight.

Fast forward to the present. I am a 29 year old female who needs to lose about 160 lb to be at the ideal weight for my height. I have had some success at weight loss in the past. I lost 54 pounds two years ago but then I faced some personal (marriage) problems that I allowed to bring me down to the point I gave up and gained it all back. Now I'm at the highest weight I have ever been.

I am far past my personal problem and now am at the highest point I have ever been emotionally, so it's time to start working toward my goals once again. The good that came out of eating processed foods is that I quickly grew tired of them and taught myself to cook. For the past eight years, I have cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner from scratch. I only eat fresh, whole foods and get lots of veggies every day. I am confident that this kind of diet is responsible for my stellar results every time I check in with my doc for my yearly physical.

Since I am so heavy, and the fact that I have previously fallen and injured both knees, I am being careful with my joints until I get some weight off. For the past two weeks, I have been walking briskly for between 1.5 to 3 miles, four days a week. It is now a habit and a part of my day I very much look forward to. I also supplement the walks with a 15 minute session on the elliptical. On my off days, I stay as physically active as possible by walking to the store or visiting a zoo or museum where I am forced to walk. I keep a record of my daily food/drink intake and have a calorie deficit every day. I have lost 6 pounds so far.

I am interested in adding some friends from this community so we can help support each other through this long journey. Cheers!

Replies

• terryjo623
    terryjo623 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It will happen as long as you make it happen, feel free to add me as a friend.
    Also if you are concerned about your joints try swimming, it is easy on your joints
    and burns an amazing amount of calories.
    Good luck!!
  • anna1287
    anna1287 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and support.
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Start small and make it last, every little bit counts. You are the only one who can change you.
  • LithaKelitha
    Options
    It sounds like you have come full circle! Congrats! I recently bought a hybrid bike at walmart. It is very easy on the joints. I think it only set me back 150 dollars. I can get my heart rate up very quickly and now have found I can ride my bike clear across my small town. (save on gas). I love it! You can add me as a friend if you would like
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are in the right mindset to make this happen, which I think is the biggest part of the battle for most of us. Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • anna1287
    Options
    I was just reading through several pages of success stories on here and I am more motivated than ever. I can't wait to see where I will be in 3 months, 6 months and then some.
  • dellashanks
    dellashanks Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It will happen! Just have to stay the course... Feel free to add me!
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Just keep going. I'm starting slow with exercise due to chronic pain issues. Anything is better than nothing! :)
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    I started out 3 months ago riding my bike....It was easier on my knees than anything else and now that I have lost 34 pounds, my knees hardly bother me, I almost never the the asthma inhaler and I feel great. I even starting doing Zumba with the Wii. The more you stick to it the easier it gets. This site and all my MFP buddies make it so much more enjoyable. In fact, its quite addicting. I find this is my new Facebook. I am always reading the forums to try and learn more about fitness and recipes and the sucess stories are so motivating!! Mindset is the first step. You got this!!
  • anjoylus19
    anjoylus19 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    yes i am LIVING proof! just keep at it and one day it will stick-trust me :D good luck!
  • smcwllms
    smcwllms Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, as long as you are doing the right things (eating right, being honest with yourself about what you eat), yes, it WILL happen.

Don't think of the whole journey, just think of the next few steps on the journey. Take pleasure in the small milestones. Yes, you can do it, but it requires brutal honesty and complete dedication. If you slip up and eat poorly, admit it to yourself, resolve to do better, and do the right things next time. Don't look at a single bad eating decision as the end of the journey or an ultimate failure. That will lead to quitting. A slip-up is just that: A slip-up.

Allow yourself some luxury foods. I do a cheat meal one meal a week, where I can eat anything I want. But log it. Honestly. The rest of the time, I eat clean.

Drink a TON of water. I drink about 16 glasses a day.

It's not going to happen overnight. It will take some time.

I had a similar amount to lose when I started: 168 lbs. I've lost 89 lbs, since October 27. I haven't starved myself, I even had some slip ups. I work out like a madman, and eat right 90% of the time.

To paraphrase a famous quote: Whether you think you can do this, or think you cannot, you are right.

I think you can.
  • anna1287
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Your support is very encouraging. I will keep you all posted as to my progress. Today I ate right and so far have gotten 50 minutes of walking outside and I am allowing dinner to settle and will do another 15 minutes on my elliptical.

SMCWLLMS, Congratulations on your progress thus far. I have come a long way in my emotional intelligence over the years and feel that I can be honest with myself and patient and forgiving enough with myself to succeed. Thank you for your kind words.