WOW. I suck already. Any advice?

Options

Replies

• Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    What I've done is take my daily total of cals and divide it by 4. That gives me a mini "goal" of what I can eat at breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. I don't always go by it. If I didn't eat all my cals from any big meal then I throw it in the snack cals.

Remember that fruits and veggies are low in cals so you can pretty much eat as much of those as you want.

Whatever you make to eat look at the nutrition label first and write down what it is and how many cals. This way you can keep track while you are away from the comp.

Definitely plan ahead. DO NOT skip meals. That just makes you want to overeat at the next meal. It's a vicious cycle.
  • jesska812
    jesska812 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Think positive. Sometimes when I'm having trouble getting back on track (it happens pretty often to me) I start with ok on Monday I will eat a perfectly healthy breakfast then Tuesday a perfectly healthy breakfast and morning snack the Wednesday ....... And on it goes until I'm back to healthy eating and enjoying it again! That's the main thing find foods that you love don't eat foods just because you think you should eat them - that's when you will feel deprived and go and binge.
  • JLB05
    JLB05 Posts: 16
    Options
    Get on MFP message boards every day and read through posts like these! I really like to read the Success Stories and look at the before and after pics. That is very motivating to me!!!

Good luck.
  • rhondanichols
    Options
    You could be describing me exactly. All the advice sounds very encouraging,
  • HeealthyMee
    HeealthyMee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The reason many of us got to where we needed this site was because we didn't realize how MANY calories we were taking in before. So when you first start logging everything you eat and drink, it's a real eye-opener. ("Wow - that Cinnabon is really 880 calories?")

What this site does is make you AWARE of your daily intake and helps you to identify where you need to make better choices. Once you've done it for a few days, you'll get a better feel for how to plan your meals so that you can hit your target easier.

This.

When I first started on MFP, I felt the same way. I could not believe how many calories I was eating. I used the information that logging daily was showing me to teach myself portion control and how to make better choices. I decided to eliminate many foods from my diet because they were calorie hogs. I also learned that because I like to eat A LOT, I better not only start exercising, but finding a program which will kick my butt into burning a lot of the calories I like to eat.

You will find your way. Do not get discouraged. Instead, use your newly found knowledge to make good decisions. I agree with many of the previous posters to log the day before since you do not have a smart phone/immediate internet access. Also suggest taking a few safe snacks with you to have on hand should you find yourself hungry during a time you did not plan for. This way you can make an informed snack decision.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    You honestly will not make good, solid changes in diet that you can live with for at least a month. It took me a while to find a balance. Now I'm good most of the time, but I know what works for me. I had to find alternatives to a lot of things and give some things up most of the time, but I'm pretty good at sneaking in some stuff that I love, too! (Fun Dip, Wine, Caribou Campfire Mochas....)
  • vuiton
    vuiton Posts: 4
    Options
    You could try planning your day the night before. Just switch to tomorrow and enter the food you plan on eating. That way you can work with the nutritional information and get it where you want it to be. Then pack it all in a lunch bag, or set it aside in the fridge. It really helps me when I'm off track to have things pre-planned.

i agree with this as I'm doing it now. my problem is my glass of wine everyday....how to get rid of that.
  • Leela12
    Leela12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hang in there !!!! I struggle with huge losses and I follow my program. EXERCISE !!!!
  • han0115
    han0115 Posts: 8
    Options
    Stick with it, you will improve. Unbelievable what we used to eat. The human body has to tolerate a lot. Wish I had this program in 1970's :):)

Bob
  • joconnor09
    joconnor09 Posts: 124
    Options
    don't beat yourself up. like you said, it's your first day! you can't expect perfection right away. i've been on here for two months, and i'm still learning how to eat better! I went over my calories the first two days. you need an adjustment period. I went from easily 2500 calories a day to just over 1700. That takes getting used to!
    And remember, this is a PROCESS. it's not just a diet, it's a lifestyle change. you're working on changing habits you've had for YEARS. That will take time! You didn't put the weight on overnight, and it doesn't come off overnight. You'll have good days and bad days. Just remember the big picture. It will all even out in the end, don't worry. And we're all here for support when you need it.

You could try tracking your food as you go if you're worried about going over. That's what I do, so I can see at each meal how much I have left for the day- a good way to avoid mindless snacking! You can also make your food diary public if you want to, so other people can see where your problem areas are and offer advice. No pressure though! But as you keep tracking your food, you will be able to see your own problem areas (I've discovered mine are sugar and sodium!) and you can make adjustments. But really, don't worry. One bad day didn't get you here, and it won't ruin everything. Just start again tomorrow and be mindful of everything you eat. Measure it out, don't eat directly from the container, only eat if you're really hungry- not just if you're bored. Good luck!
  • Vanilladays
    Vanilladays Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I can TOTALLY identify. For me what worked was choosing to follow a fairly strict plan. If it wasn't on my paper, it wasn't going in my mouth. I am terrible at trying to control myself and practice moderation, so that helped. I chose the 17 day diet.
    Next, I had to tell myself (over and over and over - still doing it), that food was simply fuel. I have a tendency to believe something is going to taste way better than it does. I would mentally go over things saying "I want to feel better more than I want to eat ____". " I can have it, but I don't want it".. this kind of thing. I didn't even say "you can do this", because I didn't feel I really could.
    What really helped though is cutting out sugar and bad carbs and instantly feeling better all over. I learned to pay attention to my body and want those victories more than I wanted the instant fix of whatever I was obsessing about.

I've lost 55 lbs and I have 100 to go. You can add me as a friend if you like and we can do it together. :smile:

:smile: I agree with this...I was quite strict with myself at first....in fact I would plan AND log my day ahead at times just so I knew where I was at! One trick is to take all your food with you, don't fall into the trap of buying stuff because you'll often underestimate what it's worth calorie wise. It's also heaps cheaper too....watch your body lose weight while your wallet gains...and added bonus!!!!
    I also watch my sugar and carbs and keep my fat levels low too.
    One of the greatest 'peace of mind' thoughts though I believe is always remember every step, no matter how small, is a step towards your goal. Every 'good' moment is one to be proud of....all the little steps take you a long way if you keep moving forward! Don't give up or give in, believe in yourself and enjoy the wonderful feeling you get when you see yourself getting stronger.
    It does get easier, as your habits alter and you start feeling better you will find it starts to become second nature.
    Good luck and you will always find support and motivation from us here. add me as a friend if you'd like :happy:
    Jenni
  • sweetybird09
    sweetybird09 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Everyone is giving you great advice. I have days that I go way over. I just start fresh the next day. So what? I am doing better than I was before I started this. As you become aware of how many calories are in certain foods, you will begin to ask yourself.... do I REALLY want that? Do I want to waste that many of my calories on that one thing? I filled my fridge with fresh cut fruits and vegetables. I just took a couple hours and cut everything up all at once and now when I feel like I need to snack, I just go grab some fruits or veggies. If I just have to have chocolate, I have one small piece. Don't be so hard on yourself. It is a gradual process and you will get there. I wish you luck!!!!! Not to mention....This is a great source of support. So many on here have been where you are now and understand. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

WELL SAID! DON"T GIVE UP!

Everyone is giving some great advice :bigsmile:
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I decided when I started that worrying about "everything" was too much. So I focused on one item -- calories. I focused on that and got to what my limit was mostly by eating a ton of veggies which I hate. After I got good at that then I worried about carbs and got that where I wanted and now sodium is my focus.

Just pick one thing. Maybe it is water, or exercise. Then ease into the other items when you get a handle of the first few. Little by little is a lot easier to do then everything at once.

Veggies are your friends. You can eat a lot of them for a little hit on calories (and carbs depending on veggie). I also found healthy snacks such as low sodium jerky, nuts, laughing cow cheese (babybel), etc.
  • daddiod
    daddiod Posts: 37
    Options
    Sounds kinda funny but you have to ween yourself off the bad habits. It wont happen all at once so don't try to. A little everyday and before you know , it will be easy.
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    The first week I used the site seriously, I used it more as an eye-opener to see where I was at with calories.

Then just started to make adjustments and find alternatives to what i was eating

This!

I never realized how much junk I ate. I mean, I knew it, but didn't KNOW it. lol... that's what really got me going. You'll have ups and downs along the way, but you'll find a routine. :)
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Be sure to check under the Settings for the amount of weight loss per week. If you're really overweight (and therefore going to be making big changes in your daily food choices), then I suggest setting the weekly weight loss to about 1 lb / week. This will give you a few more calories a day so you can ease into it. After a few months, you can always reset it to 1.5 or 2 (I think MFP maxes out at 2 / wk)

You've gotten some great tips here - hang tight! Be proud that you've made the choice to get started! That's only the first step, but it's a BIG one!
  • han0115
    han0115 Posts: 8
    Options
    Oh, eat, it will take time.

Bob
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You suck? After one day? Cut yourself some slack! You've taken a first step by starting mfp, so good for you. If you're like many of us, you'll stumble as much as succeed in the beginning. My advice:
    *Be kind to and forgive yourself. Has beating yourself up worked so far? If you wouldn't say it to a friend, don't say it to yourself.
    *Clean out your pantry and fridge if you can. Set yourself up for success by keeping good food in the house.
    *Plan your meals out the day before, when you have access to a computer.

Binges are all about emotions (or avoiding them). In the beginning, you need to find some soothing alternative to help you cope with your feelings. You'll have to find what works for you. Read a engrossing book, talk to a positive friend on the phone, exercise, etc. Me? I knit. It keeps my hands busy and relaxes me. Or I get on MFP and look at the threads. Down the road though, you might want to find a way to explore your emotions so you can pinpoint what situations, people, stressors are triggering the binge.

Go easy on yourself. The only way you'll fail is if you give up. Feel free to add me as a friend.:flowerforyou:
  • spg2012
    spg2012 Posts: 4
    Options
    first of all... you don't suck.I know this because a.) you are trying to do better and that's more than most people do. b.) you are reaching out and acknowledging you could use help that's not easy to do for a lot of people. Keep your head up and us MFP for what it is a tool to help you identify your weak areas and make the changes you need to make to be fit and healthy. I thought that I had a really good diet prior to tracking it with MFP... i've used it to realize where i need to change and am so glad i started using the site. We have all been there and will probably be there again so don't be too down on yourself... just keep doing better every day even if it's only a little bit at a time, keep making small changes day after day...improve your diet and exercise slowly because those are the changes you can live with and more importantly maintain forever!!! best of luck. :0
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've had days where I'm literally THOUSANDS over my daily goal. You just pick up and try again the next day. Pre-planning your meals is a great way to keep yourself in check. Making sure you don't have any of your "trigger foods" in the house is also key... if they aren't around, you can't mindlessly munch on them. Search for recipes and find healthier alternatives to some of your favorite snacks/treats, too. It IS possible to still eat delicious things... heaven knows I don't want to eat lettuce and celery for the rest of my life!
    I tend to binge too... a LOT! But it is VERY helpful if I don't have the things around that I usually reach for just out of boredom, laziness, depression, whatever I'm feeling. Have better for you options around.
    You'll get better. You're still learning. We're all learning to have a healthy relationship with food... and yes, it's hard! But totally doable. Don't beat yourself up too bad, we all have our days. :flowerforyou: