Kipping

Options
Troll
Troll Posts: 922 Member
heres the deal: i cant do a kipping pullup/muscle up/floor up. I cant kip at all, really. On the positive side, this makes me awesome at pullups because im kipping-cheat disabled and have to muscle out dead hang reps. On the negative, i have chronic tennis elbow and cant seem to get past that joints weakness to do any kind of muscle up. I feel like learning to kip would oomph me past the point of the move where my elbow taps out and calls it a day. Please note: joint problems run in my family. Tennis elbow is not a stand alone thing, its just a symptom and while it improves from time to time, i can rest it until i die and it will flare up as soon as i do anything with that joint. So please take in mind it is an injury i have to work around, not stop because of. Also, please dont tell me to google it or give me a link to follow, this phone wont do either :)

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Are the Crossfit Cultists making fun of you for doing a regular pull-up or something?
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i have tennis elbow too, and MHP Releve makes my elbow 100% 2 pills a day, you can find it on google for about $20 a bottle. def worth it.
  • Testosterone
    Options
    Are the Crossfit Cultists making fun of you for doing a regular pull-up or something?

shes a girl, pullups are hard enough for her as it is. she will def be able to do more that way, and kipping ten is better than 3 strict. shell build up to being able to do ten strict by kipping.
  • Testosterone
    Options
    anyway, to kip, kind of rock out from under the bar while drawing your knees up into your stomach. at the peak of where youve rocked yourself to, drive your legs down and pull up with your lats at the same time. control the negative.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    ha, no the crossfitters arent hatin', i just like trying new challenges! And T, dont insult me by suggesting i can "work up to 10 pullups with a kip." i do 35+ dead hang thankyouverymuch. :) my girlyparts never slowed me down. But thank you for the mechanics, my fiance had me doing a swinging running man thing.....on second thought, he may have just needed to make fun of me.....
  • Testosterone
    Options
    35 is a lot i just went with whats considered good for a girl. thats awesome.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Our box has a rule to get 5 dead hangs before kipping. You should only be kipping in high rep workouts if needed.

There's some good videos on kipping form on youtube.

It's more of an opening up of your shoulders and tightening of the core than anything to do with your legs. Using your legs will lead to swinging which quickly gets out of control.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Crossfit for over a year and a half and I still can't do a kipping pullup without help from a resistance band, though I can do several deadhang chinups. It is a very hard thing for a woman to do. They tried to teach me several times but I just don't have to strength or the coordination. I think it just takes a LOT of practice, and of course, upper body strength that you build up over time.

I've watched several youtube videos about it, might be worth it to check it out and see if that helps.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Mobility WOD just posted a great video to help with this today... check it out - you don't need the floss if you don't have one, you can use an ACE bandage too
    http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/04/banish-your-elbow-pain-you-dont-really-play-golf-or-tennis-do-you.html
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Since I was in gymnastics as a kid, I always did a kip-style pullup without realizing that wasn't the "traditional" way to do it, because I just did it that way. It does make pullups a lot easier, because you're basically using energy from the movement in your lower body to "toss" you up, which saves your arms a lot of strain. If you do it properly, you actually shouldn't have issues with tennis elbow, because all your arms are doing it bending with the energy transfer from your lower body.

When I think about doing a kip, I always focus on starting a swing with the lower body, usually by slightly swinging backwards first, and then instead of fully swinging my legs out front, I stop the momentum, and send it up my body through my spine. I don't even do a whole lot of swinging, because once you get the internal feel of it, it's less about huge swings and more about muscles working in tandem. It's really something that is more about coordination than pure strength. You have to have a good sense of energy transfer through muscles in your body, and the ability to work those muscles together, before you'll be able to perform a kipping movement. That could juts be something that will take more practice and time before it clicks.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    bump bc I can do deadhangs but not kipping. grr!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Curious, why would you want to kip when you can already do dead-hang pulls up? I always saw it as a way to cheat your way towards progress to eventually do dead-hang pull ups.