The Last 10 Pounds?

kroger7
kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone! I'm new here. I'm 20 years old and though I made it through freshman year of college without gainined the dreaded frosh 15, I somehow managed to gain the sophmore seven hahaha. I was wondering if it's true that they say it's harder to get losing weight if you have less to lose? I'm currently 5'7" at 120, looking to lose from 2-10 lbs because I'm just not in shape and have some trouble spots. I've been doing spot training and dieting for about a week with no change!

So is it true? Is the last 10 lbs harder to lose than, say, 30?

Thanks everyone! I look forward to getting to know more people here!

:smile:
K

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    i don't think it would be that difficult to you if you put it on over the period of a year. that is just my opinion though. i read somewhere that overindulging just every weekend and you can gain 9 lbs or something like that in a year! just change up your eating habits and go for a run. you can do it!:drinker:
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    5'7" and 120 sounds like you don't really need to lose any weight. Maybe just tone up.

In any event, heres an e-mail I got this morning from Jillian about those last 10: (Kinda funny you mention it as this was todays e-mail hehe)

How to Take Off Those Last 10 Pounds
    You know what I like to call those last 10 or 15 pounds that won't come off no matter what you do? Vanity pounds.
    The term describes our desire to lose weight that, as far as our bodies are concerned, actually feels healthy. Today's society pressures us to want to look a certain way, so for aesthetic reasons we try to be thinner than our bodies want us to be. Personally, I have gained and lost the same 8 vanity pounds more times than I care to admit.

Losing your first 50 pounds might have been tough, but believe me, dropping those final few stubborn pounds is a whole different challenge. The body struggles to hold on to that last bit of fat for survival purposes.

Now, don't get me wrong — you can lose the weight if you want to, but it will require you to muster a tremendous amount of restraint and willpower. If you're really up for it, do the following for 30 days:

Cut your sodium to 1,000 mg a day.
    Drink at least 80 ounces of water daily.
    Cut out processed foods.
    Abstain from alcohol.
    Train at 85 percent of your MHR (maximum heart rate) for 1 hour 5 times a week.
    You can do a lot in 30 days — in fact, I can pretty much guarantee you will lose at least 5 pounds. And you'll feel like a rock star!
  • kroger7
    wow! now that sounds like a challenge! 85% MHR for an hour 5 times a week? I'd have to build up to that haha.

How about inches, which is what I'm more focused on anyway. If I lost the inches around my hips and thighs, but my weighed stayed the same, I probably wouldn't be complaining too loudly lol. Is it more difficult to lose inches than pounds?
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    It will take more effort to lose because you are a healthy body weight. I would recommend change your goal from losing weight to becoming healthier. Your weight can vary up to 10lb just by what you've eaten/drank and your bathroom schedule with no fat gain. So instead set fitness/healthy eating goals like work out 3X a week and eat 3-5 servings of fruit and vegatables each day. As things become habit set another goal.

If you're set on becoming thinner, use body fat and measurements rather than weight it will be less frustrating.

This is just my opinion. Good luck!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    at 5'7", 120 lbs, you are already bordeline underweight. You need to re-evaluate your goals and make new, realistic goals with relation to toning and building muscle.

As a point of reference, I am 5'6" tall and weigh 140 lbs. I am well within the healthy weight range for my height.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    So I started my post and all the others got posted. AH! :blushing:
  • kroger7
    Sounds like everyone is it really set against the weight loss focus, which I'm not too concerned about anyway. I really just want to tone up some trouble areas, eat better, and start exercising which I haven't done on a regular basis in years! So I guess the 2-10 lbs was just what I assumed I would lose if I did this, since that's what I weighed when I was eating better and physically active haha :laugh:

-K
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Sounds like everyone is it really set against the weight loss focus, which I'm not too concerned about anyway. I really just want to tone up some trouble areas, eat better, and start exercising which I haven't done on a regular basis in years! So I guess the 2-10 lbs was just what I assumed I would lose if I did this, since that's what I weighed when I was eating better and physically active haha :laugh:

-K
    Sounds like your goal is more than likely a pant size rather than a weight size. You say you want to tone up? Maybe if you focus on you "skinny jeans", whatever they might be for you and look at where you may have a tiny roll here or there or something is sagging a little lower than you'd like (Of course, I'm 14 years older than you and right now EVERYTHING sags), then you'll find by working out and toning up, even if the scale doesn't move, you'll see a difference in your clothes :flowerforyou: And a healthy lifestyle for your junior year will help keep those pounds at bay. Do good!
  • kroger7
    thanks for the positive feedback! :bigsmile: yes, it's not so much my skinny jeans as it is my short shorts. if everyone here could see me in those, they would agree some toning is needed :noway: haha

-K
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    to make those short shorts look great by the end of July, start running!!!!!!!!! if you can run 5 days a week, you will tone up and lose those "areas" that are jiggling.
    :laugh: RUN RUN RUN, FOREST RUN!!!!!!!:laugh: :bigsmile:
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    5'7" and 120 sounds like you don't really need to lose any weight. Maybe just tone up.

In any event, heres an e-mail I got this morning from Jillian about those last 10: (Kinda funny you mention it as this was todays e-mail hehe)

How to Take Off Those Last 10 Pounds
    You know what I like to call those last 10 or 15 pounds that won't come off no matter what you do? Vanity pounds.
    The term describes our desire to lose weight that, as far as our bodies are concerned, actually feels healthy. Today's society pressures us to want to look a certain way, so for aesthetic reasons we try to be thinner than our bodies want us to be. Personally, I have gained and lost the same 8 vanity pounds more times than I care to admit.

Losing your first 50 pounds might have been tough, but believe me, dropping those final few stubborn pounds is a whole different challenge. The body struggles to hold on to that last bit of fat for survival purposes.

Now, don't get me wrong — you can lose the weight if you want to, but it will require you to muster a tremendous amount of restraint and willpower. If you're really up for it, do the following for 30 days:

Cut your sodium to 1,000 mg a day.
    Drink at least 80 ounces of water daily.
    Cut out processed foods.
    Abstain from alcohol.
    Train at 85 percent of your MHR (maximum heart rate) for 1 hour 5 times a week.
    You can do a lot in 30 days — in fact, I can pretty much guarantee you will lose at least 5 pounds. And you'll feel like a rock star!

I like this!
This discussion has been closed.