Trying to catch the wagon...

Options
So I've been struggling with my weight since middle school (ten years). I'm young, I'm turning 22 at the end of next month, and I'm 5' 9" and... 303 pounds.

Ack. My BMI is somewhere in the 40 range, and I've developed insulin resistance (which my doctor has reminded me is basically one tiny step below diabetes).

My mother, 44, weighs 6 pounds more than me and suffers from high blood pressure, diabetes type 2, sleep apnea, etc etc. I'm worried that I'm not just headed in that direction, but already THERE. I've tried weight watchers, which worked for a while until I couldn't afford it any longer. Many times I've dieted, lost about twenty pounds and got all excited, told myself I'd just "take a week off" and a week turned into months until I had skyrocketed back up to my original, and then yes, past my original weight.

Needless to say the last tentative step on the scale was eye opening and absolutely terrifying.

I've got a membership to Planet Fitness (upgrading sometime this week so I can bring guests). And a closet full of too-tight clothes.

So I'm back on here hoping and praying that I can get the support I need to do this... the problem with my family supporting me... Obviously my mother needs to change her lifestyle too (and has decided that gastric bypass is the way to go -_- ), but my mom is cook, southern style (favorite chef is Paula Deen and her love of butter). And my aunt's own a pizza and sub shop which does not offer low fat options. I'm expected to spend one night a week there for dinner, if not more.

I'm a full-time college student, so I spend a lot of time sitting around with my nose in a book or on this laptop typing up papers and posting discussions for my online courses.

I suppose what I'm basically trying to get at is that I have to lose about 130 lbs, which is a LONG way to go. I would like some suggestions of interim goals other than the obvious 5%, 10%, etc. And support... its not coming from anywhere else.

Replies

• iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    You can do it! You already are!
    cheerleader.gif
    Here's a helping hand. Hold on tight. This wagon goes fast, which is why we all exercise just to keep up. But joining the gym is AWESOME. Make sure you make mini-goals and reward yourself for them. That way the big number won't seem so overwhelming. For the first five, maybe a new gym outfit? First ten, how about a manicure? Definitely inspire yourself with new, good workout shoes. Makes all the difference in the world. And let us celebrate your progress with you...we need the encouragement too.
  • sassekel
    sassekel Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! Think about what you want and make it happen, the only one who can take charge of your health is you. We are behind you:drinker:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it!! I have always been bigger than all my friends...and I recently hit an all-time high and then I saw some pics of myself and that did it for me. MFP has been such a blessing! Everyone here is great, and it is so easy to track your cals to see where you stand for the day.

What I found (and I was quite surprised) was that I could eat a TON of food for not that many calories! It's just about picking fresh foods and foods that you can make yourself over pre-packaged high cal foods. I also started going to the gym, been going for about 2 weeks, 45 mins cardio each time, and I've lost 7 pounds!

It is especially important for you to lose weight for your health...I too have a family history of high cholesterol and blood pressure. I am working to get my weight down and be healthy so I can be a good mom and wife someday (I'm 22) and so I will not be held back by my weight. Just keep on keepin' on, and you will see results.

We are all here for you! :) Good luck!
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Hey!!
    I really hope that the support from MFP can help....
    I am going to add you as a friend now :happy:
    Having someone hold you accountable is the best thing that works for me...
    What are you doing in way of exercise? Walking is a wonderful way to get moving....Is there someone that you can have as a "walking buddy" that you are close to, but will also hold you accountable when the days come that you don't want to get out the door?
    You can always squeeze in at least 30 min of cardio a day. That is what I have challenged myself to do.... I have the Hip Hop Abs and Tae Bo cardio that I really like...
    I really, really wish you well on this journey and I hope that I can be of any help to you at all (: I am on the journey myself and and really pushing myself to stay on it this time :wink:
  • evill40
    evill40 Posts: 7
    Options
    You can totally do this and you have already taken the first step. I totally get where you are coming from on the family support. My husband does not care either way if I loose weight or not but he is a chef and he likes to cook and he likes to eat. However.....he does not have a weight problem. The hardest meal of the day for me is dinner because he has made it and I feel obligated to eat whatever he makes. I have tried to work around that earlier in the day and eat less calories earlier so I can enjoy what he has cooked.

I did talk to him about it and told him this is what I really want to do. He has been cooking a little bit healthier (grilling, using less butter etc....) but it is still hard. Think about your health if nothing else. That is what I am doing. I am a 40 year old woman and I have told myself I do not want to be on any regular medications until at least 50 ! I went to the Dr's for a physical and he told me my BP was borderline if I go back next year and there is no improvement we may need to talk about medication ! YUCK !
    Keep your head up and set small goals for youself YOU CAN DO IT !
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    I actually really like elliptical machines for cardio, and I have a wiifit game which is pretty fun, and I'm hoping to work up the courage to take a class at my college, which are free.

I live in Florida, so right now walking anywhere other than the mall is basically suicide, but my grandmother was just told by the doctor that she also needs to lose weight so I'm hoping I can talk her into joining me for a few laps around the mall or maybe the local community pool.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    You can do this. :flowerforyou:
  • leekm16
    leekm16 Posts: 3
    Options
    Be brave and strong. Don't be afraid to go to friends and family for support and motivation! Good luck :happy:
    The first week or so is always the hardest..unfortunately sore muscles and craving are not the best motivators, but stick with it! Remind yourself that it will be worth it in the long run
  • jamieraegem
    Options
    I'm 25 and I am on the right track now but at my heaviest I was 245 (on a 5'2 frame). I'll tell you there is no easy way to lose weight however finding something you enjoy doing is key. I realized I really liked hiking with my dogs and it made me happy and them happy. I also commited to at least going for a walk everyday (even if it wasn't strenuous!). You will find working out will become much easier if u make it a routine and find something that doesn't overdo it. I thought I needed to jog to be working out and about killed myself! I started with a walk a day, then a power walk a day, then walking with jogging intervals.

I graduated college 2 years ago and living in that setting is very difficult. I gained almost 75 lbs in college! But its up to you to say no to that midnight pizza! LOL! I know its tempting to be around people who eat at all hours of the night but it is definately not worth it! If you are looking to improve your eating habits ask your friends to do it with you! There is always a greater chance of success with the buddy system (esp in a dorm!).

And talk to your mom and your aunt about cooking healthier. My mom was the same way, except she was very thin and the food she cooked had no effect on her just me. I asked her to stop cooking like that and she said no but she would make me a healthy swap out! So if the family had spaghetti, I had whole wheat pasta with some marinara. Or if they had take out I got Subway. Perhaps offer to help her with the cooking and find recipes that are a healthier version of what she already cooks!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I also live in the south. So, sometimes my walking track is around the couch, down the hall, turn around, down the hall, around the couch, into the kitchen, turn around and go again until 10 minutes is over. Silly, I guess, but it's beginning to work for me.
  • jtodacheeny
    jtodacheeny Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! I understand the family history thing, I've got it too! But believe in yourself, and remind yourself that you are a great and valuable person, and you are worth the effort to get healthy again!! I know that sometimes it is easier said than done, but just keep on repeating it and eventually you will believe it!! Your story really struck me, because I can relate to alot of your feelings. I will pray for you and for strength to keep it up!!!
  • alisha11
    alisha11 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Your going to be great I know you can do it! I'm also a college student full time :grumble: and I'm 21 years old 223 pounds 5'7'' We can work together I just started here like 3 days ago! It's good to know that there's someone who's kind of in the same boat I am:smile:
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    Thank you all for the support!!