Interval training logging

Options
samntha14
samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
How do you log in your interval training? Do you just go by your average heart rate for the duration, or do you break it down somehow? And do you just enter as whatever medium you're using (bike, run, elliptical etc.)

Replies

• christinekojack
    christinekojack Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM (heart rate monitor), which tell me the exact cals burned each workout! Hope that helps.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I just wear my HRM and log in the elliptical part of the circuit as one item (as calculated by MFP) , and then I created an exercise called "my personal exercise routine" and log the remaining calories under that. So I have 2 categories for each workout of interval training.
  • samntha14
    Options
    I have a cheap one so it just tells me my min max and average. Although the treadmills at my gym read and fairly accurately, but no so much the other machines. ( I HATE running lol)
  • insatiable_need
    insatiable_need Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    When I do interval training on the treadmill, I just average the speeds together. For example: Today I alternated intervals of walking at 3.6 mph and jogging at 5.5 mph, which averaged out to 4 mph when I was done (because of the 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down), so I just used 4 mph rather than add up how long I jogged at 5.5 and how long I walked at 3.6.
  • samntha14
    Options
    not a bad idea ;)
  • athletemcgoo
    athletemcgoo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap HRM too -- only tells peak and average and total time worked out. I use it to track calories burned for the total time I'm working out (using a formula I found on livestrong) that is based on my average heart rate (and age, and weight). I find I don't necessarily burn as many calories doing interval training as I may from just steady state cardio (or I burn a similar amount for an equivalent amount of time worked out), but I feel like I've worked a lot harder when I do the interval training.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I used the dreaded treadmill tonight so I could track my calories burned. I'll put in as "speed interval" in my personal diary for now.