Alcohol & Calories

Options
Am sure there are already threads on this topic, but don't see any at first glance.

So I'm not an alcoholic, but realistically can't/wont cut booze out of my diet. Just moderate it.

I'm looking for suggestions or ideas on low cal bevies, so I don't have to skip dinner to enjoy a few(or more) drinks! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have been albe to loose weight and get healthy and still have weekends drinking and a few wines in week. Not all will agree but I decided i was going to do this in a way i could achieve and still have a life. I just make sure i excercise and that helps and try to reduce it when i can. Weekends if going to have an off night i do heaps of excercise and eat well in the day. Yeah my weight loss has been more slow and steady, but has worked and for a change I feel i can do this long term. For more low cal drink options, lighter beers, red wine, and vodka and soda water are good options.
  • hithisisili
    hithisisili Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this today because honestly, i like having my wine/beer at night after I put my son to bed. I drink Sangria and its 138 calories for 6 ounces so i save up my snack calories for that. :-)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Spirits + low/0-cal mixers. (eg vodka + diet coke, gin + slimline tonic etc)
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Ty Ku makes a wonderful line of liquers and vodka alternatives. Then of course, LaBatt 52 or Michelob ultra. There are "skinny" mixers on every store shelf and I believe Skinny Girl and Skinny Bee make a line of low-cal premixed alcoholic options.
  • LucyvdPelt
    LucyvdPelt Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    white wine mixed with sparkling water (about 50/50) - excellent summer drink - dont take a wine to sweet

65kcal per 250ml
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of red wine almost every evening as long as I've done my daily exercise and before I eat dinner.

I have always logged it and as long as it it within your calorie goal and you're maintaining a healthy enough diet and regular exercise, you can most certainly lose weight.

So many people have differing opinions but to be quite honest, this works for me. I have not only lost weight on the scale (albeit not very much) but I have physically lost a significant amount of weight in the form of a couple of dress sizes.

Best thing is, I haven't had to sacrifice my favourite vice :drinker:
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have been able to lose 30lbs and still drink my share (ok, more than my share) of tequila. I exercise and count it as part of my daily intake. This is about a life change and that is something that won't change so I have to learn how to deal with it in a way that will work for me.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Spirits and sugar free soft drink.

Vodka, creaming soda and pub squash makes a nice little mixeer.
  • silkandsugar
    Options
    I would go for red wine or vodka on the rocks.
  • hauntgoddess
    hauntgoddess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke and Vodka!
  • blv0267
    blv0267 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    white wine mixed with sparkling water (about 50/50) - excellent summer drink - dont take a wine to sweet

65kcal per 250ml

^^This
    I have anywhere from 8-12oz of white wine a night (about 2 glasses). My first glass is usually all wine and then I start mixing the second glass with club soda. I try and make room for my wine calories in my daily allotment.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Spirits + low/0-cal mixers. (eg vodka + diet coke, gin + slimline tonic etc)

^^ this vodka+diet coke = 52cals - best I've found
  • KA29
    KA29 Posts: 54
    Options
    Like anything it is all about moderation. If I know I am going to enjoy a few drinks, I make sure to get in a good workout and also eat better to allow the extra cals. If you like vodka, mix that with water and lemon and it is very refreshing. Like a vodka lemonade without the extra sugar and cals. Skinny Girl also has a wide variety of low cal drinks that are pretty tasty.

No diet should require you to give us something entirely, otherwise you are going to get frustrated and likely give up.

Cheers
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I had to learn to cut out the really bad stuff.... Margaritas were killing me...Blue Moons, super high calories. I knew I could never cut out alcohol so I just thought about how much I could fit with in my calories. I usually have a glass of red wine every night while I make super. If I had a bad day with snacking then I sacrafice and cut it out. If I had a bad day with my students/co-workers/boyfriend etc, I have a second glass and move on whether it fits in or not. Sometimes I believe that mental health is JUST as important as physical health!
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Like the others have said it is possible if you're careful what you choose and watch the calories. If you're having a meal and want wine. try alternating with water. I drink sparkling water out of a wine glass, that way it feels 'right' in my hand.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I like gin mixed with sugar free squash. As a mixer it is around 2-5 calories, so really it is only the gin you have to add in.
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I mostly drink wine. Red or white. I also like rum & diet soda w/ a lime. I do not care for beer, but i did see an advertisement for 64 calorie beer this week. That might be worth trying.
  • daisypop
    daisypop Posts: 1
    Options
    I put large ice cubes in a small wine glass and add white wine. The first 1/2 is perfectly chilled and fully bodied and as the ice melts to wine weakens but I only end up having 1/2 the calories. Also a great saver if you are at a party and having a few drinks. I have also tried watering down red wine with room temp water and it wasn't too bad.
  • keegannati
    keegannati Posts: 114
    Options
    Light beer or 1.5 oz liquor mixed with calorie-free soda are both about 100 cals per serving. Pay attention to what kind of beer you get, though-Bud "Light" Platinum has as many calories as a Budweiser. I usually reserve some evening snack calories for a nightcap or three.