Trouble getting in the calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies but I have a question with the nuts and peanut butter, do the fat content not matter. I get up real early for school in the morning and I don't really have an appetite but I will try the suggestions.

Healthy fats are essential to keep your body performing at its best.
  • Ironlion45
    Ironlion45 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies but I have a question with the nuts and peanut butter, do the fat content not matter. I get up real early for school in the morning and I don't really have an appetite but I will try the suggestions.

Yes, the fat definitely matters. Peanut butter is almost all fat, though it also has a pretty good amount of protein. However, as fat's go it isn't a terribly bad one.

It's okay to eat peanut butter, as long as it fits into your nutritional goals- remember that for most people, only about 15-30% of their daily calories should be from fat (and preferably mono-saturated fats).

So if it fits in your diet, then it's okay, but keep in mind that each spoonful of peanut butter is close to 100 calories, and 80 of those are from fat.
  • Nessap08
    Nessap08 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    After looking at the last few days of your food diary, here are my thoughts:

1. Your breakfasts are like snacks. They are not actual meals. Try eating an actual balanced breakfast. For example, eat a 4-egg white omelette with veggies, with a slice of toast and a glass of milk. You can also eat something simpler like a grilled cheese, a PB and J sandwich, or yogurt with granola.

2. You need to spread your calories out throughout your day. I'm ok with the heavier lunch, but with how few calories you're getting, you're going to slow down your metabolism and hit starvation mode.

3. If you're drinking THAT much water for your work out, it's possible that you're risking an electrolyte imbalance. Remember that the more water you drink in a short period of time, the more you're diluting your electrolytes. Not only that, you're sweating during your work-outs. I would limit your water intake to avoid problems, and that should allow for you to not be "too full" for dinner.

4. Finally, if you really want to increase your calories, stop drinking things like Mio. Opt for healthier drink options that can also give you calories-- a glass of milk, a glass of orange juice, etc.

I'm ashamed to say but I'm not much in the kitchen so I can't really cook a balanced meal, I'm working on it but I'm not there yet. I usually have oatmeal in the morning but I got sick of it after a couple of days so I went to cereal. I honestly don't know why I drank so much water today but it felt like I was still thirsty no matter how much water I drank. and thank you for the ideas.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    2. You need to spread your calories out throughout your day. I'm ok with the heavier lunch, but with how few calories you're getting, you're going to slow down your metabolism and hit starvation mode.

This is incorrect.

It doesn't matter WHEN you eat your calories, just HOW MANY you eat. And also, starvation mode is largely a myth and has nothing to do with what you are talking about. If you want to eat all your calories at one meal, do it. If you want to spread them out evenly throughout the whole day, do it. Just make sure you are getting the right types of calories (for example, it is hard for me to eat protein for breakfast, or if you are snacking alot you may be eating alot of sugary things)