I have the "home from work---I'll eat it all" blues--help?

Options
Hi there: I was wondering if anyone has some good ideas on how to control eating after getting home from work. I have tried a few things, but I can't seem to find what will work for me. Some of the things I have tried are eating a small to medium sized snack, eating my dinner as soon as I get home, not eating, drinking tea, etc. It seems when I make the transition from work back to home, I lose it. It bums me out because I work out in the mornings and I'm doing so well all day and then I blow it. Any ideas would be appreciated!! Thanks!

Replies

• Buttercupmcgee
    Buttercupmcgee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This is my danger zone as well...it's almost a stress relief trigger to eat after work. Tea does help me....something to keep my hands and mouth busy. If that doesn't work for you, how about seltzer with fruit juice?

Also, I find painting my nails is a worthy distraction...the smell is an appetite killer and then your nails are wet so you can't raid the pantry!
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I try to have dinner as close to the time I get home as possible to prevent me from having time to snack.

or if you can't eat right away find things to do that will keep you busy until it is ready, I find this helps after dinner as well. Make a weekly To Do List (or monthly) and when you have the urge to snack try to something started or finished on your list
  • SarLem81
    SarLem81 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Any chance you could fit in a workout after work? Keeping busy with evening workouts is usually what helps me.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    me too...Im fine all day and I walk into the house and it triggers hunger immediately..I have tried it all too (snack before leaving work , eating more through the day etc..)...I guess what works best is TO EAT right when I get home but make it dinner (vs snacks) and the right choices.

If I do the snack thing I end up eating the snack(s) plus dinner and getting way more calories than anticipated!
  • mgrimes2008
    Options
    one of my favorite snacks is SnackWell's Cinnamon Crème Drizzled Caramel Popcorn.
    it is a great snack and lasts me till dinner time.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    eat some carrots with cucumbers with a big glass of water to help you from eating too much
  • thesasser
    thesasser Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I try to plan out a full day's food the night before. Temptation is easier to resist when I can say I have no calories left to work with. I drink a lot of tea or water when I get home from school, and try to keep busy. Good luck!
  • ryn013
    ryn013 Posts: 116
    Options
    I have the same problem but around right after dinner til bedtime. I suggest doing something to keep yourself busy. For example, if it's nice out - grab a friend, iPod, etc and take a walk. Try something new like yoga, Zumba, p90x, etc. Get done household chores. Pamper yourself by doing your nails or taking a bath. Anything to take up that usual 'snacking time' that your body is becoming accustom to. Don't let it become a habit!! Good luck!:happy:
  • omgwtfMindyloo
    omgwtfMindyloo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time getting home from work, without giving into the siren songs of one of the many drive thrus on my route.

It does help if I have a drink with me. A tall glass of water helps me keep my cravings in check. Also a light snack to nibble along the way. A few plain almonds, or a 100 cal pack of something snacky, or some fruit. Something to take the edge of and help me make better choices when those fast food signs call out to me.

Some days though....I worry there is not enough food in my city for everything I want to eat.
  • sem41278
    sem41278 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    maybe go for a walk? guzzle a big glass of water? Do you have any hobbies that help you unwind? Treat yourself to something non food to pamperyourself for getting through another day :)
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Congrats on recognizing it for what it is. I recommend getting busy doing anything you enjoy. Have some healthy snack stuff, dinners, drinks, etc and then close the kitchen - brush your teeth, etc. You probably have a habit thing to battle and maybe a work stress thing to address as well. You can do this, keep working at it!! :flowerforyou:
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    When I was commuting I used to keep some raw nuts in the car to munch on the way home (30 min drive). By the time i got home, the edge would be gone.

Since I work from home now, I've figured out that it's really got more to do with not getting enough fat and fiber throughout the day that causes me to start a crazy food binge. If you're not already, try adding a protein shake (be choosy, some of them are pure garbage! I like Shaklee's) to build your muscles back up and give you some fiber.
  • elisabej
    elisabej Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a recumbent bike at home and when I get home from work I get a glass of water, turn on the news and ride for at least 1/2 an hour or 10 miles depending on my mood and intensity. If I really need a snack I have a bag of frozen fruit (Dole has good bags with no syrup added - look in the frozen 'toppings" section of the grocery store) and since I can't eat it fast It usually helps and I get my fruit in. :)
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It kind of sounds like you are stress-eating or comfort-eating...something I definitely identify with. Eating a snack, even something kind of naughty, does not work for me. I was watching something on TV that said that food (specifically sugar in this case) releases some chemicals in the "reward" center of your brain, which makes you happy or less stressed. And they said (now take this with a grain of salt), that it is possible that obese people have built up a tolerance to this "reward", and need more food to get that good feeling. Literally like a drug addict.
    So I would suggest something that is not related to feeding that addiction, even a little. I suggest working out or go for a walk. That also releases "good feeling" chemicals that can be a "good" addiction.
  • vettermr
    vettermr Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi there: I was wondering if anyone has some good ideas on how to control eating after getting home from work. I have tried a few things, but I can't seem to find what will work for me. Some of the things I have tried are eating a small to medium sized snack, eating my dinner as soon as I get home, not eating, drinking tea, etc. It seems when I make the transition from work back to home, I lose it. It bums me out because I work out in the mornings and I'm doing so well all day and then I blow it. Any ideas would be appreciated!! Thanks!

I eat a small snack on the way home from work to help curb my hunger, which has seemed to help. I'm really lucky that I'm single so I can eat when I get home from work...I just have to control how much I eat. Have you made leftovers so you have food prepared and only have to reheat...This way you aren't waiting for dinner to be done and snacking. This sounds cheesy, but I try to visualize and think about what it is in my fridge and what I'm going to make. This way I don't eat everything but rather what I have mentally planned...

I hope this helps!! I hate feeling like I could eat the kitchen...
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Also, I find painting my nails is a worthy distraction...the smell is an appetite killer and then your nails are wet so you can't raid the pantry!

Good idea!
  • deedeetris
    deedeetris Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas--you have motivated me to change things up tomorrow. I'm going to swim after work and then come home for dinner. You are all right about the stress eating---that is exactly what it is. I get home from teaching and then make dinner, and take kids out for their activities. I seem to be using that time as my reward for getting through the day. It works in the short run, but not the long term! Lisa--I love that tv show you were talking about--it fits me to a T. I'll have to search it out. Thanks again everyone!