5-HTP (didn't know where to place this topic)

Options
Has anyone here taken it (5 HTP) for anything that it's supposed to help with, not just weight loss, such as insomnia, depression, or for girls, PMDD? Or even anxiety. I am not looking into it for weight, just the other things it supposedly helps with. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• loblo23
    loblo23 Posts: 5
    Options
    I take it for really mild depression and occasional anxiety! Works pretty well for me..just have to be consistent and take it everyday to feel the effects! give it a shot..wayy better than taking anti-depression meds since it doesn't have the nasty side effects :)
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    After a bit of research, I asked my doctor if I could try using 5-HTP to help me with mild depression (my Mom passed away in Dec, and I'm still in quite a funk). I wanted to avoid going on a SSRI, and 5-HTP was touted as a milder alternative, with less side effects. I had hoped it would help with my low energy levels and low moods.

I've been on it for well over a month now - almost two months, actually. I take 100mg x 2/day.

I have found that it has actually *increased* my appetite by two-fold. While I have always had a healthy appetite, I don't seem satiated after eating like I normally do, since taking the 5-HTP. Not good! :-/

In the meantime, I've read a lot of contradictory information about how 5-HTP can affect appetite... some references refer to it as an appetite supressant, while others say it can increase appetite. ???

I guess it all comes down to how each individual reacts to it. I haven't really noticed a lot of lift in my mood or energy, personally. It's pricey, and with such a lack of results, I've decided to stop taking it.