How to get motivated?

Options
I really want to start exercising to increase my weight loss but find it really boring!! :yawn:

I have even bought a cross trainer so i can do it at home but just cant seem to get the motivation to get on it!! Any ideas??

Replies

• Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Put on your workout clothes and gym shoes. You'll feel silly just sitting on the couch. Also, I find music helps me start moving.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    get a workout partner, set goals, reward yourself for sticking to it, results can be motivating. lots of ways to do it but it ultimately comes down to you and your willingness to work hard. good luck!
  • kitty_cat023
    Options
    maybe try something that you enjoy that's physically active, rather than just "exercising". for example, i had a similar problem in that i really hated going to gyms, so in the summer i would do outdoor activities like rollerblading, jogging, etc.

another option for the winter, (when it's too dark out to do those things) is maybe try some sort of martial arts - it's beneficial beyond just exercise. it can take the focus off just "exercise" - you become more focused on the next (belt) level as opposed to the action, and it can also be quite social! so maybe just approach it from another angle!
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    If I'm going through a phase where I just can't get excited about going to work out, I buy myself some new workout clothes! :wink:

I know it sounds silly, but I totally get pumped about wearing something new! :blushing:
  • ildi007
    ildi007 Posts: 107
    Options
    Turn off the tv. (If it's on, I find myself amused enough not to work out)
    Tell everyone "I'm going to work out from 8-8:30!" They will be looking at you like: hey, it's 8, so are you gonna, or what?
    Blackmail yourself "I can't have my (blank) until I work out today!"
    Find something you really enjoy, the first 3 times it's still going to be hard, but after that , you'll be wanting to do it. I have a WII Active and until I got it, I was full of excuses, now I can't wait to do break into sweat! My kids sit on the couch (quietly) in awe while I'm working out!! :laugh:

Good luck! :flowerforyou:

You acn also sign up for a work out chellenge here.....they are also quite motivating!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    put on a bikini, stand in front of the mirror, and decide if you'd rather sit on the couch or work out.

and start with only 5 minutes. see how you feel form there.

always go on with a small goal - you'd be surprised how fast the time goes by working out if you;re wathcing tv or listening to music.

also, if you cant bring yourself to work out for even a few minutes, that seems to mean you DON'T care enough about making yourself lose more weight. figure that out!
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    i watch dvds or some online tv when im using my cross trainer, i get so wrapped up in greys anatomy reruns that i forget im exercising :blushing:

i also exercise to music, quick tempo songs to keep me motivated

:flowerforyou:
  • Owensmommy
    Options
    I would upload some of your new favorite FAST songs. Some that you can't wait to listen to and just get on for the duration of the songs. I find that it naturally get me walking or running faster. That might help you get over the hump then make sure you do it again the next day so you don't lose the momentum. \

Good Luck Girl!
    N
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I save my favorite tv shows, and only allow myself to watch them while exercising.
  • jenbo
    jenbo Posts: 6
    Options
    I've just woken up & read all these messages. it's made me very positive, im going to go shopping for some new gym gear this morning & then come home & download all my favorite songs & get on that cross trainer!! :tongue:
  • jcreyes
    jcreyes Posts: 8
    Options
    I find that often times right before a workout I'm dreading the fact that I have to workout. However, right after the workout I feel a great sense of accomplishment and am very happy that I just worked out. It's weird how different the pre and post workout moods can be.

If you have the same feelings then I suggest you do this: Drag yourself into the area that you workout in and force yourself to have a great workout and really give it all you got. Immediately following the workout (and I mean right after the workout) take a sheet of paper and write down the following sentence. "I just worked out hard and I really feel....", and proceed to write down your feelings at that very moment. If you're anything like me that sentence will be followed with comments like "like a million bucks!", and "like I can reach my goals", and "pretty soon my clothes aren't going to fit me anymore".

Then right before you are going to workout the next time and start having those feelings of doubt, look over this list. It should help you convince yourself that in about 45 minutes to an hour (depending on how long you work out) you will be experiencing these good feelings again.
  • nikii14
    nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    This is NOT meant to be mean....but stand infront of the mirror!!
    That's what I do. It gets my *kitten* to the gym every time!!!!:laugh:

Just think about how good you will feel once you have exercised!! Only good things can come from it!!

Good Luck!!
  • skiski
    skiski Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hey Jenbo

I have had the exact problem but tonight I put on my workout kit, grabbed a book and went for it on my exercise bike before i knew it it was 45 minutes and according MFP 403 cals later!!! Very much worth it.

As a few of the others have mentioned music is really helpful especially some upbeat "lets get it moving" stuff.

but the most motivating thing i found for me was the thought of spending the rest of my life like this and what a waste it would be...we all have so much untapped potential and we can-along with a healthy body achieve so much.

good luck xxx
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Find something you like. I hate the gym and get bored with walking or running on my own. I've found my niche with karate, tai chi and yoga. The social aspect keeps me motivated, as well as constantly learning new things.
  • kristine518
    Options
    If i don't exercise I'm only hurting myself. It does feel good once I'm finished even though sometimes it is hard to get started. Try doing different things each day to keep it from being boring -- walk, bike, dance, yoga, strength/weights, elliptical, rollerblade, tennis, swimming, vollyball ..... whatever else you can think of. You may find a favorite or two in there that you end up looking forward to doing several times each week. Finding a parter or two to motivate each other (a walking group that meets at the same time each day) is good too. Good luck!