xpost: Couch to 5K, tell me about it...

Options
Hello!
Wanted to start running and have heard of this Couch to 5k. How was all your experiences?

Replies

• accusima
    accusima Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this, as well. Would love to get some feedback about it!
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing couch to 5k! I really like it and it doesn't take a lot of time out of your day. It helps ease in to running. Im currently on week 4 however I sometimes repeat days that are difficult until i can do them with ease before moving on.
  • maynarz
    maynarz Posts: 9
    Options
    The biggest thing is that they are not all the same schedules. When you pick one look for the one that you feel most comfortable with. The one that I am doing is a gradual increase jogging walking amount until you get to 30 minutes running.

week 1 - walk 30 min
    week 2 - run 30 seconds / walk 5 minutes and 30 seconds - 5 sets
    week 3 - run 1 minute/ walk 5 minutes - 5 sets
    week 4 - run 2 minutes / walk 4 minutes - 5 sets
    week 5 - run 4 minutes / walk 2 minutes - 5 sets
    week 6 - run 6 minutes / walk 1 minute and 30 seconds - 4 sets
    week 7 - run 8 minutes / walk 2 minutes - 3 sets
    week 8 - run 9 minutes / walk 1 minute - 3 sets
    week 9 - run 14 minutes / walk 1 minute - 2 sets
    week 10 - run 30 minutes

I really like it so far and I am about to start week 4. One thing I have to say though is make sure to start from the beginning. Complete the run and if the next day you don't feel sore at all then maybe commit to further into the schedule. I thought the first few weeks would be too slow for me so I tried to start at week 3 and it was a bad idea. Take it slow and even when you start upping your time keep your jogging pace slow. The goal is to make it to 30 minutes sustained running for the 5k. Good luck and enjoy the run. Take some music with you as well. It always helps me slow my pace down by matching the music.
  • Ddkrause
    Ddkrause Posts: 15
    Options
    My friend and I are doing this version:
    http://www.fromcouchto5k.com/articles/training/the-couch-to-5k-training-plan/
    We just finished week 5 today, the first 10 minutes jog. Have not missed a day and as much as I hate it, I am so exicted when we finish it. We don't just walk for 5 minutes at the beginning and end though. Today we walked for 20 minutes, at about 3 mph, jogged for 10, we think around 5 mph, then walked for 10 more minutes. I seems to help with warming up and cooling down. I am not a runner, really struggle with shin splints, but it is getting better each day. Good Luck!
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Hubby and i were jsut looking into phone apps that do this. Im not sure which we'll go with but id love to start this also. Sounds like a great way to start jogging!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about doing it also. I may start next week. I have asthma and I have a super hard time controlling my breathing while running. Couch to 5k was suggested by several people to help condition my breathing better. Running 60 seconds on 60 seconds off is something I do almost daily now in workouts.. but usually only for about 10 or 15 minutes. I have 2 friends that just did the whole program and they enjoyed it and are beginning the couch to 10k program next week.

Good luck!!!
  • Jessicacwalker
    Jessicacwalker Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am doing a similar plan but a little different...
    1-2 weeks of walking 3-4 times each week
    Then right into intervals
    1 minute easy run and 2 minute walk. Start with 5 min warm up and 5 min cool down.
    Slowly increase run time.

I did one week of walking and just finished my second week, I plan to continue the 1:2 ratio 3 times a week with walking on days off until I am able to comfortably run the minute. :)

Good luck
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I started January 31st and finished March 24th! I have never been a runner, but wanted something I could do almost anywhere, and I sort of just wanted to challenge myself to do it. I followed the program exactly - some days I felt I could run farther, but I didn't. Some days I thought there was no way I'd be able to handle that day's program, but I went for it, and I did it! I used a free iPhone app, got myself an armband and followed the cues for running, walking, warm up & cool down, three days a week. I made sure to do some dynamic stretching before starting, and to always do the five minute warm up. I always stretch really well after a run, too - haven't had any problems with shin splints. Yay!

It worked for me! I am still running 3 days a week, anywhere from 2 - 5 miles each time. Yesterday was my first 5 mile run - still can't believe I could do it! I'm not breaking any speed records, but that's okay, that will come in time. Right now, my goal is to just keep at it, work on my speed on the shorter distances, and to run a 5k race.

Check it out - it's a great program!
  • maynarz
    maynarz Posts: 9
    Options
    One other thing that can help is getting a good pair of shoes. You don't have to break the bank doing it, but choosing a pair that are correct for your feet is always better. A 20 dollar pair might feel great on your wallet but might hurt your feet more and make you want to quit. I was skeptical at first as well, but when I went to a place called frontrunners they had me try a variety of shoes within my price range. I found a pair relatively quickly and the whole process was great. The biggest surprise is that the shoes were a style that I would have never chosen on my own, but I don't think I could have been happier with the result.

One last note. If you want to make the most out of the shoes, only wear them when you're running. They last much longer and you will feel like you got more for your money. Also you will be more comfortable on your runs.

Good luck to everyone who is training for their first 5K. Mine is in June.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I did a similar program (5k Runner iPhone app) and finished on January 1 of this year. Prior to starting I was a running hater. I couldn't run across the street. Now I'm hooked. I ran 9 miles on Sunday morning. I've run two 5k races and am running a 10k this weekend and another 5k the following week. I run three days a week and love every minute of it. I'm planning to do a couple of half marathons at the end of this year and the beginning of 2013.

Stick to the program and if you can't finish one of the workouts do it again the next time. When it got up to doing the longer runs (20 minutes seemed like a really long run then - now I'm doing over an hour without stopping) I was pretty nervous but I was able to do it no problem.

Good shoes make all the difference in the world. I recommend going to a running store and getting them to watch you walk and look at your feet to help you choose shoes that work with your body.

Good luck!
  • accusima
    accusima Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I went and got fitted for proper running shoes today, and am so excited to start working on this program! I went to a running shop locally (New Orleans) and they really helped to ensure that I got shoes that were proper for my foot and stride.

The app I'm going to work with it free for Android called run double. it has different interval programs and some pay options. I wanted to start today, but my husband is trying this out with me, so I'll be keeping with just walking until his shoes come in.

I've never been much of a runner, but I am looking forward to using this to get my stamina up and add a little extra to my workout.
  • Kimberleycommonname
    Kimberleycommonname Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use run double and I looooove it. My friends all have iphones and are a little jealous of the app, I think haha.