Want to have good muscle just not the bulk, any suggestions?

Options
I did college softball years ago and I will admit the routine we did is not what I am looking for now. We did a lot of weight lifting and short bursts of cardio. I know I need to up the cardio but can anyone name a program for weights or maybe some type of workout that does more tone, strength and lengthen my muscles. I do not want my big muscles to come back >.<

I am open to really anything! Thanks:)

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I did college softball years ago and I will admit the routine we did is not what I am looking for now. We did a lot of weight lifting and short bursts of cardio. I know I need to up the cardio but can anyone name a program for weights or maybe some type of workout that does more tone, strength and lengthen my muscles. I do not want my big muscles to come back >.<

Read New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. Even if you don't work the program, I think it will help you understand a little more what lifting does for us :)

I lift heavy and I love it. I don't have big muscles, though I wouldn't mind it if I did. I am, however, stronger and fitter and feeling better than I have in a long time.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Um, the only way to "lengthen muscles" is surgery. Muscle isn't bulky, fat is.
  • stacymessick
    Options
    In a typical week I do a combination of yoga, cardio, and Insanity. I found that if I did Insanity 6 days a week like I was supposed to, I did get very in shape fast but I also did get a lot of leg muscle which not everyone wants. So I decided to mix it in with the rest of the stuff I do.

It also has to do with your diet. If you are adding calories to your daily calorie limit, you will probably gain more bulk I think. Hope this helps :smile:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with the other poster who mentioned New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. It will not only give you a good plan to go by, but it will also really help you understand exactly how our muscles work and what the benefits of weight lifting are. Soooo much good information in that book!
  • montanadanni
    montanadanni Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thank you for reference to the book. I need new material to read on weight lifting for women. I was just so used to doing burst workouts that i did gain more muscle mass than i wanted. I know more weight and less reps can do that. Glad you mentioned the book. i need a new routine to adopt!
  • adamsilva
    adamsilva Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    start lifting heavy

eat at calorie deficit

eat back your exercise cals.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    At first you may look more bulky, because there is still a layer of fat over your muscle....but once that layer of fat begins to disappear....SHAZAM! Hot body!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    At first you may look more bulky, because there is still a layer of fat over your muscle....but once that layer of fat begins to disappear....SHAZAM! Hot body!

Basically, that. The only way that muscle looks bulky on women is if they're specifically training hardcore for body-building muscle (which can take years to accomplish, so it's not an accident), or if there is a larger layer of fat over the muscle. Without fat, muscle isn't bulky or large on women. It just can't be without trying really, really hard.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Do Insanity!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    The lifting programs I've heard of and heard good things about:
    1) New rules of lifting for women
    2) Stronglifts 5x5
    3) Starting Strength

Don't be afraid of a decent heavy lifting program. You won't bulk, bulk is mostly caused by muscle AS WELL AS (temporary) water weight and/or fat.
    When I was lifting previously, but not watching my food, I looked bulky(ish). My clothes didn't fit, especially in my arms and shoulders, and because I could see muscle easily it probably seemed like bulk. Then I lost weight on MFP, watching my food intake, maintained my muscle and got tons stronger the same clothes were loose in all the "bulky" areas.
  • mlkiel
    mlkiel Posts: 91
    Options
    If you're a member of a gym, see if they offer Les Mills Body Pump. The focus is timing and range of motion with weights, I:heart: it!!! I am getting the "tone" results and don't look "bulky".
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Read New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. Even if you don't work the program, I think it will help you understand a little more what lifting does for us :)

I lift heavy and I love it. I don't have big muscles, though I wouldn't mind it if I did. I am, however, stronger and fitter and feeling better than I have in a long time.

^^This. I would also add Starting Strengh, 3rd Edition to the library.
  • muffyjog
    muffyjog Posts: 30
    Options
    Another cool way is to do yoga. The stretches keep things long and the use of your own body as a weight increases your strength. And a lot of the balance helps with core strength (which is what gives you the balance, a nice feedback loop).
  • montanadanni
    montanadanni Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
    With all your comments I realized when I was working out a lot I wan't eating the best. Which could describe why I seemed more bulky because I was lacking that last piece of the puzzle. Since discovering I have Hashimoto's Disease (thyroid issues) I have been treated and now eat really really well.
    So with that said I have lost 59lbs so far just eating right lol Now I just need to add the exercise. This is going to be a killer recipe! Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I am picking up that weight ligting book and I think I am going to do some yoga classes to help with stretching and balance.