Hand strengtheners

I'm lifting heavy (NROLFW) and really benefiting from it, but I'm starting to find that my grip (in gloves) is limiting me more than the weights I'm lifting. I'm thinking of getting some 'hand strengtheners'. Does anybody have any experience of these? I'm wondering if 'hand and finger exercisers' or 'powerballs' are better, for example. Any advice?

Replies

• Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    At Walmart/ Target they have these exercise things with a spring for less than $5. You just clench, unclench, clench, unclench. I believe resistance differs by color. They are great for down time, when you are in front of a computer or tv.

If you don't have $5, you can find some other item to squeeze. Maybe you can fill a sturdy bag with play dough?
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    whoa, lol, i thought this was a joke-thread. a few days ago i met a guy who likes to rock climb. he was telling me that it is all about finger and hand-strength. i almost asked 'and what does a guy do to exercise his fingers and hands?' bahaha~

now i'm curious... o_O
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Anyone else?
  • dinovino_59
    dinovino_59 Posts: 1,700
    You should also stretch your forearms and an easy way to do that is to stand over a table and put your hands palm down on the table in front of you, then lean your body forward while not letting you hands move from place, you should feel the stretch in your forearms...you can then work your elbows outward and inward while again not moving your hands from place to get an even better stretch.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    gloves are made for lifting motions not pulling motions, even experienced athletes I work with take gloves off for pulling motions like rows or pullups of things of the sort, I would suggest just not wearing gloves, your grip will increase as you slowly progress in weight those little hand clamp things wont do as much for your grip as just doing a good workout will I promise you
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,162 Member
    i don't wear gloves so my hands are full callouses on the top of my palm. I'm not sure if it helps but exercises that hurt my grip are (and possibly strengthen it): deadlifts, pullups, latpulldowns and dumbell shrugs.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    You should try not using gloves.
  • LauritaS767
    LauritaS767 Posts: 71 Member
    i agree with not wearing gloves, haven't worn them in years. My trainer has this device called the rolling thunder. It's a handle that you can attach weight plates to and when you grip, the handle rotates which helps with grip (try to hold on for as long as possible. Not sure on the cost though.
  • ErB56
    ErB56 Posts: 71 Member
    An additional option are straps. I am not sure the official name for them but they encircle your wrist and then you wrap them around the bar. I found that they help greatly when getting into the really heavy weights.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,490 Member
    If your gonna get some, go for the `captains of crush` make...Build up your grip and forearms brilliantly...Be ready for some severe finger ache the first few days..

Edited for typo
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Do farmer's walks.
    Grab a couple heavy weights and walk for 20 seconds one direction, then 20 seconds back.
    Rinse Repeat.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    i don't wear gloves so my hands are full callouses on the top of my palm. I'm not sure if it helps but exercises that hurt my grip are (and possibly strengthen it): deadlifts, pullups, latpulldowns and dumbell shrugs.

pretty much, I agree
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Do farmer's walks.
    Grab a couple heavy weights and walk for 20 seconds one direction, then 20 seconds back.
    Rinse Repeat.

This.
    When I started NROL4W my grip was also my weak point. I didn't do anything special and it improved greatly. When doing deadlift, try the mixt grip (one and toward you, one hand facing the other side) and for the step ups, put a bar on your shoulders instead of holding dumbbells in your hands.

Good luck
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    I've messed around with them - from harbinger department store ones to Captains of Crush that will rip your skin off.

I second the farmer's walk... But it was deadlifts that made my grip like iron.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    I ran into this when my step ups reached 2 x 11kg dumbells, but I had to level off the weight for a while due to my hips, and my grip caught up. No room on my stairs to use a barbell.

Also, I got some of those hand squeeze thingies, but not used them yet?!?

I did find a good website before with various ideas, have a look:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson78.htm
  • This thread is pretty old but as an avid user of these i feel i should probably give my two cents. I do 1500 each arm a day with the cheap $5 ones from walmart and i have noticed quite a bit of hand strength as well as my forearm getting a little more defined. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to try em out since they are so cheap but instead of walmart i would just shop online for one since the one's for $6-10 usually have individual springs for each finger which I think is a much better option