Military Fiance losing weight during his deployment!

darthkatalyst
darthkatalyst Posts: 39
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
Hi! My name is Kat, i'm 19. I'm trying to lose 20lbs and just overall be more fit by the time my US Marine comes home to me from Afghanistan. I'm currently 152lbs and only 5'4". He'll be gone for at least a half a year, more than likely way longer. So I've got the time, and the reasons to do it and really put an effort into it! 2 days before he deployed we misscarried our first child. I had gained 5lbs from the baby, and stress of getting him ready to go overseas. And I was already 15lbs too heavy at that point.

I find that napping is my biggest vice, it gives me an excuse to lounge around just a bit more. haha :tongue: So the plan is: more fruits and veggies, waaay less junk foods, eating more regularly, and medium exercise (belly dancing, walks, yoga, etc). I don't want to start off pushing myself too hard because it won't become a habit, but a burden. And I wish to create life-long habits so when he comes home it all doesnt go out the window! haha

So here's to will power :flowerforyou:

Replies

• I started running when my husband got deployed. He came home to a wife who was in much better shape & weighed less as well Now I have a running buddy since he got back.
  • MissVitaVonCherry
    MissVitaVonCherry Posts: 709 Member
    I became a vegitarian while muine was gone and upped the physical activity by a little and lost about 35 to 40 pounds! in 6+ months. 69 total in over a year and a half:bigsmile:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Hello and welcome to the best website ever. You will love it here, I do. This site is so helpful, supportive, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to tell you that I hope you have a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    I lost 15lbs when my hubby left for deployment, and 3 months after his return we were pregnant. that was over 3yrs ago
    So, you work real hard while he is gone and get in the greatest shape ever, then you can get pregnant again and have a happy, healthy baby together.
    I wish you so much luck on your journey.

give yourself a llittle time to grieve and get past your stresses and then use your new found strength and friends here on MFP. and we will be ready to help when you need us. come over and check out the woggers club. we are really motivating and a great group of girls. :smile:
  • I started running when my husband got deployed. He came home to a wife who was in much better shape & weighed less as well Now I have a running buddy since he got back.

this is kinda what i'm hoping for. i can't keep up with him when we're on base running around and he giggles and always doubles back. i want to give him a run for his money :D haha

this is kinda what i'm hoping for. i can't keep up with him when we're on base running around and he giggles and always doubles back. i want to give him a run for his money :D haha
  • Hello and welcome to the best website ever. You will love it here, I do. This site is so helpful, supportive, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to tell you that I hope you have a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this. :smile: :flowerforyou:

thank you!! I tried diet.com, but there wasn't as much of a sense of community as there is here! :heart:
  • I lost 15lbs when my hubby left for deployment, and 3 months after his return we were pregnant. that was over 3yrs ago
    So, you work real hard while he is gone and get in the greatest shape ever, then you can get pregnant again and have a happy, healthy baby together.
    I wish you so much luck on your journey.

give yourself a llittle time to grieve and get past your stresses and then use your new found strength and friends here on MFP. and we will be ready to help when you need us. come over and check out the woggers club. we are really motivating and a great group of girls. :smile:

thank you so much! I've had the last month to grieve, but its difficult to grieve when he's so far away and it's not something we feel we can talk about because where he is communication sucks and the conversations we do get to have are few and far between. So I'm trying to move along now getting myself into shape and getting some more college out of the way too. I think our loss was a motivating factor in its self, as I realized how much I want to get into shape and get school done while he's gone; and as a couple it helped us realize how much we want a family and how important his career is to him. His family has told me this relationship was his saving grace as he didn't see the military as an important factor in his life until now, and he's been talking a lot about re-enlisting.

It's nice to hear about post-deployment babies :D I know a lot of my friends whose men deployed with mine all know it's inevitable when they return from their tour of duty. I think I'm the only one who's actually super excited about it haha.
    :flowerforyou:
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Kat,
    Take the time you need to mourn, then start looking forward to his return and the chance to start your new life. We lost our first while stationed in Korea in the early 1980's....... health :cry: :cry: . I grew to understand and accept that a child at that time just wasn't meant to be, and that when the time was right, we'd have a healthy child. She's currently 25....... and has a 20 year old sister.

When my hubby was deployed to Iraq for 4 months last summer. I'm 46 and work full time, so you have multiple advantages over me. I found that once he was gone I really didn't have to eat at night if I didn't want to ! I made it to work out consistently 3+ times a week and felt really GOOD about myself when he came home. Unfortunately, I gained all of it back and nearly doubled that by Christmas. So........... I found MFP and am having more success at the weight loss and inches lost. I know it's a long journey to permanent weight loss/maintanance, but the wonderful people on this site have all been very supportive and encouraging.

There's quite a few of us military spouses on this site (in my case retired military) who understand the military community and the unique stresses put upon it.

Just a suggestion that has worked well for me....... check out your local Curves if there's one nearby. All female......so no pressure of guys looking at you...... just lots of support and encouragement.
    Hang in there......... you are tougher than you think you are!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Good luck!!!!
  • timmijop
    timmijop Posts: 86 Member
    My husband is in Afghanistan right now as well!! He has been there since April :( but I am in the same boat as you! Oh yeah and Proud Marine wife woot woot!!! I had my daughter 2 months before he left and put on so much weight while I was pregnant!!! It is a good goal to look forward to their homecoming as setting goals for ourselves. While they are away it is good to keep busy and your mind active and what better way to do that than better yourself!!! and you are an inspiration for turning something so negative into something very positive! I have talked to people at the Naval Hospial here at Camp Lejeune and they definately experiance an influx of babies after deployments. MP company just came home last week and I am suspecting many births here in 9-10 months. Once you two are married the benefits really are amazing, and just think you already know what you are getting yourself into going through a deployment pre-I DO. Semper Fi!
This discussion has been closed.