Cooking without skin

Options
Hi. How come its better to cook your chicken without the skin? I don't eat the skin, but its so much easier to grill it with the skin on and then remove it. Does it make such a difference? We don't do skinless meats here and I LOVE chicken legs. Thanks.

Replies

• Rohnic
    Rohnic Posts: 82
    Options
    i guess when you cook it with the skin you release all the fat that's in the skin. That way it ends up on your plate somehow?
    Sorry I'm just guessworking :)
  • sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thats what I figured, but absolutely hate touching raw chicken legs... Ugh... Nevermind having to pull the skin off... :-)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily "better", just means the finished product is lower fat, since a lot of fat is stored under the skin. Removing the skin can also make the chicken much drier as it cooks. After tracking both, I decided that there's not enough of a calorie difference in it to make it worth it. I leave skin on and it tastes much better - keeps the meat moist as it cooks. If the skin ends up crispy, I eat it (yum!), if it's still kind of flabby (due to cooking method) I just remove it once it's cooked. In the end, it depends if the extra calories or fat bothers you.
  • Rohnic
    Rohnic Posts: 82
    Options
    Haha, i totally understand the no touching of the raw chicken!
    I do it like Jester does, cook it with it and if it's crispy I'll eat it, if not, i chuck it.