5k times?

Options
Hey all :)

I've been doing c25k and am now up to week 8, happily doing 25+ minute runs 2x a week. I want to join my local parkrun, but I really don't know if I'm fast enough! In a 25 minute run, I will cover about 2 miles - so to hit the 5k I'll probably take 45 minutes! Which a) means I have a way to go before I am actually running 5k, and b) would put me about 15 minutes behind the rest of the runners, looking at the results tables!

So for all beginner and slow 5k runners, what are / were your times?

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    The ability levels vary wildly at parkruns, so my guess is there'll be people faster and slower than you. Runners are, in my experience, pretty cool and encouraging, so even if you were the slowest home, I don't think anyone would really care.

I'm doing about a 35 min 5k now. But I was much much slower up until fairly recently. I find as my distances go up, my speed on shorter runs goes up too.

Oh and you tend to run faster when you're with other people, too.
  • giantruss
    giantruss Posts: 100
    Options
    Yeah I am about 34-35 too
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was 36m09 (5.09km)
    My fastest was 28m10 about a month or two later.

I then tried to do longer runs with a 10k in 64mins and shorted 5.5k runs around the 35min mark

Then I got stress fractures and hobbled for 3 months :)

Edit: all these are outdoor, park/trail
    Edit2: I'm now running again, and not yet at 5km, but doing about 8min/km.
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I havent been running too long but average about 9 minutes a mile run pace. I have done over 3 miles on the c25k-I think it would take me around 27 minutes. I dont consider myself fast though at all, I think this is fairly slow?

I run alone so dont worry about speed...... I am doing the race for life in July-maybe something like that woudl encourage you on-thats what Im doing, my aim is to run it without stopping.... also to do it under half an hour. I am therefore not doing the interval runs only the 20 minute or 25 minute ones depending on what time I have. I did notice however that when I was doing the interval ones where you have a walk break that burns more calories than the constant running....I have a HRM so I know that for definite.

Back to the point though!!! hahaha I say go for the parkrun, there would definitely be people slower than you there as Meerkat70 said and its not about how fast you are, just the taking part, thats how I'm viewing this race for life. Also if I do have to take a break when Im doing it then so what? It wont be the end of the world..... I would like to do it without stopping but no sweat if I cant. Once Ive done that then im hoping to build up to a 10k if my body can manage it :0)

Good luck xx

Emma
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have just noticed looking through the parkrun news that my uncle actually volunteers as a pacer lol. I just hate the idea of being last by a gap - I can handle last if I'm around / near others, but knowing everyone else has been standing around for 10+ minutes, so they will naturally ALL be looking at me when I cross the line!

But hey, at least I'm thinking in terms of WHEN I cross the line, not IF :)
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Seahorse a 9 minute mile IS fast!

I've been through loads of the Whitstable Parkruns results pages and they rarely have a runner that finishes later than 36 minutes! One day that might be me, but not JUST yet lmao!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    And as my friend always says... last is still a place. Someone has to be last home, in any run.

I wouldn't worry about it. I got myself into a huge tizz, convinced I'd be the last home in the 10k I did a few weeks ago. Actually cried a bit about it before I set off. As it turns out, I wasn't the last home. And even if I had been, it really, really wouldn't have been an issue. No-one was really standing about watching, and the people who were at the finish line were just really supportive of everyone who completed.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Even if you come in last you're ahead of the folks sitting at home on their couches....

My first 5K was just under 40 minutes, a year later I ran the same race in 26:46. Don't worry about what other people are doing, get out there and enjoy your run!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    You shoulg give it a go, no one will slag you off, only encourage. And you will find that you will push yourself harder to try and keep up
  • Scott_P
    Scott_P Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Even if you come in last you're ahead of the folks sitting at home on their couches....

My first 5K was just under 40 minutes, a year later I ran the same race in 26:46. Don't worry about what other people are doing, get out there and enjoy your run!
    This right here is what its all about!
  • charliedavisxxx
    charliedavisxxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i'm on about 27 min for a 5k but yrust me it took me about a year to get to that. also when you run with people you can run faster and for longer becuase of a carnal instict to keep up with the pack... you might just surprise yourself xxx
  • msgsarah
    msgsarah Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I thought I'd reply because I did my first Parkrun last week!

I can safely say there were people of all ages and abilities there, from running clubs and 'serious runners' to older people and people running with their kids.

Everyone was so nice, friendly and supportive, regardless of ability. I completed it in 32:06, and I was about 70th over the line out of 140 so I wasn't great, but I wasn't made to feel bad about it- quite the opposite. Everyone was so friendly and nice, and I even got invited to join a local running club.

So I'd say go for it. You won't regret it and you certainly won't be the slowest by a long chalk! Just go at your own pace and enjoy it!

Good luck x
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Years ago, when I was younger and ran nearly everyday, my average 5k time was about 25 min. But if you want to join, I say do it! Even if you haven't yet run a full 5k, you can often go just as fast by walking a little when needed because you can run faster in the intervals. Just jump in and do it. You'll probably be surprised how quickly you get up to speed. Just look how far you've come in 8 short weeks!
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You *are* fast enough! As others have said, there will be runners of all shapes, sizes and abilities. There will no doubt be pure walkers! I ran my first 5k last Sunday, and was aiming for 33 minutes because that's what I had been doing in my practice runs. I surprised myself by comin in at 28:25. The fastest runner came in just over 15 minutes. The last person was closer to 50. There were almost 300 people in between. :) And the people cheered the last person as loudly as the first! :) I'm already signed up for my second race (although in my case, calling it a "race" might be a stretch :)), and recommend it. Just signing up and commiting yourself will make you take getting ready (and hence exercising) that much more seriously.
  • jasperann
    jasperann Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You are really running against yourself in any race. Don't worry about anyone else! I have friends that run 5ks and they have various times from 28-45 mins. I am going to run a 5k this summer and hope to come in before 45min and I would be happy because that is my best so far. lol
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You will run faster than your training pace in a race because it's a race! It's exciting! There are other people around who will give you encouragement. Your adrenaline will be flowing. You will surprise yourself. Just go out and do it and have a good time.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Hey all :)

I've been doing c25k and am now up to week 8, happily doing 25+ minute runs 2x a week. I want to join my local parkrun, but I really don't know if I'm fast enough! In a 25 minute run, I will cover about 2 miles - so to hit the 5k I'll probably take 45 minutes! Which a) means I have a way to go before I am actually running 5k, and b) would put me about 15 minutes behind the rest of the runners, looking at the results tables!

So for all beginner and slow 5k runners, what are / were your times?

After a summer of training a couple of years ago, my best 5K time was around 28 minutes. But when I started I was closer to 45.

A lot of it depends on the run. If it's a charity run and you're raising money for a good charity, you should focus more on that than your completion time. It's a good opportunity to leverage your new running skills for a greater purpose than winning at a race. But you may also find that your run time is faster on race day because you are in a competitive race rather than running solo.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    And the people cheered the last person as loudly as the first! :)

Yes, the interesting part about running in 5Ks is that, for the most part, the spectators' 5K time would be closer an hour or more. Plus, you're usually doing a fundraiser so the spectators are just grateful that you're putting so much effort into helping them out.
  • nicd100
    nicd100 Posts: 14
    Options
    The whole idea of parkrun is that everyone is welcome. The times at my local parkrun vary between 15 and 50 minutes. Everyone gets cheered on and encouraged whatever your time.
    Go for it they are great :happy:
  • Nessiep
    Nessiep Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    ido it in 40mins 32sec around 5mph ...ive done 7k but not for a few months now it was around 60mins .