I think I lost my motivation

Options
Before I got my job I had a routine down. I would work out daily after I woke up in the morning. I was eating at the same time every day and had gotten over my sweets cravings. Since I started working, just over 2 weeks ago, everything seems to be falling apart. I am tired all of the time and I rarely work out anymore. I am not really gaining but am not losing weight either. I have made several attempts at getting my routine back but it is just not happening. My weight just seems to fluctuate between 203-206lbs. Also, my boss is horrible so I am stressed out constantly and now I want sweets all the time. Ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT MY ROUTINE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so tired all of the time and I go to bed really early now due to my 4am wake up time. I drink lots of water. I rarely drink soda. I just can't seem to stay away from cookies and cannot fit in my work outs any more. I love to work out but it seems like I have lost my motivation. It seems like there is always something else that is more important to do after work such as cooking dinner and picking up after the kids. I am down 18lbs and don't want to gain it back. I still have over 80 to go. I am so lost and don't know what to do.

Replies

• Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    Well... let me just say this, sometimes you just have to suck it up and do it. No seriously... What you described was me a few months ago. I too work full time, with the same 4am wake up's as you and don't get home until 5PM in the afternoon and im a mom. BUT... I finally got to the point where I just had to suck it up because I have my goals in mind and I want to achieve my goals and in order to do that I just have to get on some sort of routine that works for me and my family because no matter how stressed out your boss or work makes you, it's not going to help you achieve your goals YOU are the one that will achieve those goals.

Do you bring your lunch to work? If not... start doing so. You said your boss makes you stressed and there for you want sweets all the time. Don't bring sweets to work, plan your meals out the night before and only eat/snack on those things. Bring fruit so when you feel that sweet tooth come on, eat some fruit {my go to sweet fruits are pineapple or watermelon}.

Also, I used to work out in the morning and would stress myself out by thinking I HAD to workout before work and if I didn't then there was just no other possible way. Well I ditched the AM workouts. I have been working out when I get home now, that way I don't have to get up even earlier in the AM and feel even more tired by 7PM. I will workout right in my living room and sometimes my son will even come up and try to do some of the moves I do {he is 4}, or he is off playing. Do you have a good support system at home? When im working out my husband is usually prepping dinner or prepping/making our lunches for the next day, that way when im done with the workout we can get straight to having dinner... ALL of this is usually said and done before 7PM.

You just have to switch things around a bit until you find something that works for you and your family. Don't give up though because work is stressing you out, trust me... I know how that feels lol. At the end of the day it's up to YOU whether or not you will let that stress effect you and on the positive side, once you do find your niche / routine, the stress from the day will seemingly not bother you as much. :happy:
  • MiniCooperDeb
    MiniCooperDeb Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You could be describing me! I will be watching your replies and perhaps gain some insight. We're better than this, right?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You know...its better to work out less while on a cut than more?

So lift weights 3 times a week for 20-45 mins at a time and eat well and sleep well.

I lose a pound a week doing this and im in no way genetically gifted.

Its really all about setting up your dietary numbers at appx 20% below TDEE so you are eating right in the first place.
    Then creating a slight extra deficit to that number by working out 3 times a week.

An example:
    My body uses appx 2100 calories per day.
    I run a retail store.
    Thats 14700 calories per week I use while running around doing anything I do normally.
    Cut 20% from that and you get 1680.
    I have MFP set to 1680 daily.
    Thats 420 down per day from my weekly TDEE.
    1680x7=11760 calories used per week.
    So just by cutting 20% i'm at a deficit but still above my BMR or RMR.
    Monday, Weds and Friday I do the Stronglifts 5x5 program and burn appx 200 cals each day.
    You can do whatever kind of program you want but remember with muscle on a cut "Use it or lose it!"
    11760-600=11160

14700-11160=3540 deficit to my weekly TDEE.
    Most of my losses are only fat due to lifting weights.
    My hormones are in good order so my body allows fat loss.
    My Central Nervous system is in good order so i'll be able to add more weight on my next lifts because i've had ample rest.
    I eat 90% whole foods and 10% junk to keep my sanity.
    I know that I have 3540 deficit to play around with so every once in a while, maybe every 2 weeks, i'll have a cheat day.

Hope this helps reduce some of the stress from dieting!
    Check out this link to get your perfect number.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I feel a disturbance in the force...er, routine. I'm thinking it's going to be very difficult to get back into your old routine...so don't. Make up a NEW routine that takes into account this new and huge shift in how you have to spend your time.

One small step, do one thing today that gets you headed back in the right direction. Commit, right now, to ten minutes of walking sometime during the day. It doesn't have to be the put on the "gear" type of work out... instead of eating that cookie during your afternoon break...do a walking meditation around your building (inside or out).

Tomorrow do the same and add one more small thing.

Just a thought anyway...t
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations on the loss so far, and well done for maintaining it in the midst of this stress. And congratulations on the new job!

It's only been two weeks, so I would try not to stress out too much. It sounds like you've had a major lifestyle change, so it will take a little while to settle down. Getting up at 4am - I'm not surprised you're exhausted! At the moment you've got a lot of priorities (work, household chores, kids) and working out isn't one of them. If you really want it to be part of your lifestyle, you're just going to have to make it a priority too. I don't mean that to sound harsh - I have no idea how stressed out you must be. (I'm unemployed, with no kids, and I am aware that I have the luxury of few pressures at the moment.) I just know that when people really want something, they make it work somehow. I think planning is key. Try and make a timetable that will allow you to get in a workout somewhere in your day, even if it's only a very short one to start with.

On your profile you mentioned zumba, and it sounds like you really want exercise to be part of your life. Remember that you can still lose weight without it, just by maintaining a calorie deficit with your diet. It might not be ideal, but it's an option if it's going to take you some time to get things sorted out and get into a new routine.

The stress-eating issue - I think you're just going to have to find other ways to soothe or comfort yourself. Try not to get into the habit of using food. It's even harder to fit in stress releasing activities when time is short, but try to make that a priority too, whether it's having a bath (obviously not at work!), going for a short walk, talking to a friend on the phone, taking 10 minutes to meditate, or whatever appeals to you. You can do this! You have done brilliantly so far, and you just need to make a few adjustments to your new lifestyle to keep on track. :flowerforyou:
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    We can only do this if our heads in the right place
    Ive yoyoed for 22 years and in 2010 I lost 57.5lbs in 8 months on weightwatchers and zumba
    In December 2010 I tore my knee ligaments was down and in 2011 I regained 42lbs,I tried and tried to restart couldnt not even a week ........
    In 2012 I restarted and this year has been awful personally,new business,money problems,teenage daughter problems,Mother in law to be cancer having a big op next week........But ive stuck to this -21.5lbs in 12 weeks Ive been 100%.
    Its not your boss etc thats stops you its how you feel deep inside in 2011 I had no stress and couldnt do this but now ive so much but this weightloss is mine and im going to do it and some days its very hard
    You will find that mojo but when your heads ready xx
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi there. ;
    I'm so sorry that your transition into this job has been so difficult and has had an impact on your weight loss journey. Here's a big (((hug))) I am hoping that things improve for you soon. I'm sending a few suggestions for you to think about. I'm not telling you to do anything, but perhaps something here will give you some ideas that can kick start your motivation. One of the best ways to fight stress is by being physical. I don't know your situation, but is it possible to go for a quick walk during any of your breaks or lunch time? It might be a chance to clear your head, and do something for yourself during your work day. I'm hoping there's a place where you could perhaps take a quick walk around the block or something. Even walking a stairwell might be a good exercise choice. Another time-saving option for exercise is to do it as you make your supper. I find that I have little 10-minute pockets of time as I wait for meat , rice and potatoes to cook - perhaps you could use that time. If I do it then, it's not in my mind that "I have to exercise after supper" and mentally am ready to gear down and relax in the evening. I totally understand wanting those cookies at work. We always think that by taking a break and having something to eat, we are more energized to handle the stress of our jobs; but a sugary snack will only give you a temporary sugar - high. You might want to try a snack high in protein or lower sugar/fat to satisfy the craving and eliminate the sugar 'crash' tired feeling. Here's some things I take to work to beat the desire to head to the nearest doughnut shop:: a few almonds, fresh fruit, yogurt (for some reason yogurt helps me feel calm.. not sure why)..low fat/low sodium crunchy crackers with hummus and a few veggie sticks (I love crunching when I get a bit angry! lol)
    When work is its' worst, I try all the harder to at least have a handle on my life.. at least then I have something positive to say for the day. Do hope things improve for you.
  • DeadNatchan
    Options
    Ohhhhh.... I know this feeling so well, unfortunately.
    The sad fact is that your old routine has gone and yep, you do need to find a new routine, however tired you are. That for me is the hardest part but I get by knowing that however tired I was before, I will still feel great after a workout. The prospect of a new routine can be quite scary, but it can also be very liberating. Your old routine clearly worked well, huge congratulations on your weight loss, but you never know what a new routine might hold for you. You could find a new workout class, that can bring a load of new friends and ways to burn calories, or you could use this chance to try out a totally new kind of exercise.
    I would try to see this as a new opportunity. Good luck with the job! :smile:
  • tigerlily1817
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great responses. I have tried several times to workout in the late afternoons after I get home but I am so physically exhausted that I can't do more than 15-20min which is better than nothing but after being on my feet all day I am just too sore and tired. I do bring my own food to work but halfway through the day after my supervisor starts being a pain and stressing me out I end up buying a treat (which usually turns out to be a super yummy cookie from the cafeteria). I do not have a support system at home. I have very few friends which is why I joined MFP in the first place. My husband is a great guy and while he means well, he is in no way supportive. I think he tries to be but it comes out wrong. Morning work outs used to jump start my day so I have decided that I will get up early a few days a week so I can get in a work out and when the weather is nice I can add in an afternoon walk. Tomorrow will be a new start for me including a (most likely) depressing weigh in. I need to think of it as a reality check. My ultimate goal is to get down to a healthy weight in order to not only look better but also to set a good example for my kids and to avoid any health problems such as diabetes (which runs pretty heavily in my family). You are all right I need to establish a new routine, suck it up, and keep up the hard work. I was easily averaging 1-2 pounds per week before this "bump in the road" (sometimes more) so I know I can get through this.
  • propskat
    propskat Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great responses. I have tried several times to workout in the late afternoons after I get home but I am so physically exhausted that I can't do more than 15-20min which is better than nothing but after being on my feet all day I am just too sore and tired. I do bring my own food to work but halfway through the day after my supervisor starts being a pain and stressing me out I end up buying a treat (which usually turns out to be a super yummy cookie from the cafeteria). I do not have a support system at home. I have very few friends which is why I joined MFP in the first place. My husband is a great guy and while he means well, he is in no way supportive. I think he tries to be but it comes out wrong. Morning work outs used to jump start my day so I have decided that I will get up early a few days a week so I can get in a work out and when the weather is nice I can add in an afternoon walk. Tomorrow will be a new start for me including a (most likely) depressing weigh in. I need to think of it as a reality check. My ultimate goal is to get down to a healthy weight in order to not only look better but also to set a good example for my kids and to avoid any health problems such as diabetes (which runs pretty heavily in my family). You are all right I need to establish a new routine, suck it up, and keep up the hard work. I was easily averaging 1-2 pounds per week before this "bump in the road" (sometimes more) so I know I can get through this.

I'm with you in the 'friends' department and the 'less than supportive husband' department. Funny thing is, my husband has always been rail thin (think jack sprat and his wife), but has recently quit smoking. I am sooo proud of him for doing that, but what it means is he's eating constantly, and not in a good way, he's eating little debbie cakes, candy bars, and LOTS of pasta, rice, bread. So that is definitely a challenge for me!

How is your protein intake? One thing that helps me is that when I do snack, I try to make sure that snack has some protein in it. Hummus and veggies is good, also greek yogurt or a boiled egg. If you just Google 'low calorie high protein snacks', you will get tons of ideas. And I figure that even if you add a tsp of sugar to your fruit, it's still better than that donut!!!

Good Luck! Keep coming back to the forums there's so much good information and support here! :heart:
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Whenever I started a new job, I needed a month of suspending my routine to acclimate to a new one. I either put my workout on hold, or did something minimal to sustain my fitness level.

After 3 weeks to a month, I put my work schedule out on a daily planner, so let's say I worked 8-3, or 7-5, or whatever, I put it all out there. I would also write down travel time, getting ready time, etc....

Then, when I looked at everything listed, I would take a different color pen, or a highliter, and start making fitness blocks that could be squeezed into my schedule. So if I had to be at work at 7, and it took me 45 mins to get to work, and an hour to get ready, I would have to plan either an early morning workout or an afternoon workout. Maybe it will no longer be the regular 5 mile run or hour long spin class I used to do, but 30 mins of weights could be squeezed in instead, and then I would try to find a different block that week or the weekend to make up for the hr of cardio I lost that day.

It can be done, you have to give yourself time to let your new schedule settle in.

Also, if I did this, and found that I missed a workout or 2, I would go through my schedule again, and revamp my plan.

Living a fit and healthy lifestyle means being flexible with what you do and when you do it. The sure way to give up is to be hard on yourself and insist you stick with a schedule that just doesn't fit into your current lifestyle. Our lives are always changing - it is important to work with those changes to keep up what you do, or... GOD forbid, reduce it for a while and pick it back up when you can. But to scrap the whole thing is just counterproductive.

I was going to do a full marathon this May, but got a new job in September which really interfered with my ability to get in those kind of long runs. So, I looked at my schedule, saw that I had more time this summer to train, opted to do a half marathon instead, and schedule my full for the fall. I was disappointed for a minute, and then snapped out of it. I started a NEW job, and training for a full was a new challenge for me as well since I never did one before. Being hard on myself might have made me scrap everything. I just had to reevaluate.... not give up!

I want to add that I work full time, and have a 5 yr old, on top of stepkids who recently had a house fire so we have been devoting a lot of time to them and my husband isn't home as much to watch our son... not to mention he has a fitness schedule he keeps up as well, and IS doing the marathon so his long runs eat into my workouts... but again, I make up my schedule, and then go over it with my husband as if they were appointments we need to stick to. He does the same with me. It is tough to balance everything out, and I always wish I could do more, but I focus on what I can do, even if it is a tiny workout....