Sucking bloat in to measure waist?

Options
As the title suggests, I'd like to know if you can suck your stomach in to measure your waist. I usually have some sort of bloat, annoyingly, but when I suck it in, my waist measurements are about an inch smaller. I know it sounds like a silly question, but you're trying to measure fat on your stomach/waist size, not bloat, right?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    waist measurements are highly imprecise in my opinion, for the reason you suggest. To measure fat you're better off pinching at the sides with a measuring caliper.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    If you want measurements that you can compare sensibly each month, I'd say you're better off looking at your underbust (where your bra strap fits) and your hips. Waist measurements are close to impossible to get reliable, especially if you have a fair bit of fat on there (because if you just tug your tape a little harder, you can squish the fat in further and trim an inch or so off the measurement - counterproductive, but very easy to do!)
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    For dress sizes I measure relaxed, to measure whether there has been a change i breathe out and tense as though i were about to do a pushup. this gives me a measure of both whether fat is coming off and whether my muscles are getting tighter.

i don't know what you're 'supposed' to do, but all i want to know is whether what i am doing is having an effect.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    LOL @ bloat.

I measure my waist every two weeks. I dont suck in thats just cheating you know . Stand normal as you do always and measure.

I never measure where the tape is super tight either, to make the inches smaller. Its kinda lying on your diary, why tracker it if you cant be honest. its Pointless.

My waist has reduced 5.5 inches so you will see change in it, but your waist is the slowest place to lose so hang in there
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I haven't been sucking my belly in majorly, I take one relaxed and one sucked in and compare, but always record the relaxed one. I'm gone from 34" at the start to just 31.5" this morning! It is 31" when I suck in, of course.

I have also been measuring my hips, but they began at 47" and haven't changed :sick: not that I mind, but I just don't know why they haven't changed :huh:

I will try the underboob thing!
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    LOL @ bloat.

I measure my waist every two weeks. I dont suck in thats just cheating you know . Stand normal as you do always and measure.

I never measure where the tape is super tight either, to make the inches smaller. Its kinda lying on your diary, why tracker it if you cant be honest. its Pointless.

My waist has reduced 5.5 inches so you will see change in it, but your waist is the slowest place to lose so hang in there

My waist has been one of the first places I lose. I'm a pear, so I am losing weight off my stomach first and formost. Which I'm not complaining about because my small waist is one of my best features.

I only track the relaxed one, but I just asked because, to be honest, bloat is not what my stomach truly is. Bloat is different day to day. The fat is going, and I can see that when I suck in the bloat, or when I pinch the fat on my stomach. I don't think that my waist measurements with bloat are an accurate indicator of loss there, seeing as bloat can be different day to day.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I think the main thing is to be as consistent as you can. Don't measure one day without sucking it in, and then measure another day sucking it in, and count that as a loss.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I think the main thing is to be as consistent as you can. Don't measure one day without sucking it in, and then measure another day sucking it in, and count that as a loss.

I agree with you there.
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options

This^^^^^

Just the same as you should weigh at the same time wearing similar clothes each time you weigh, I would do the same with your measuring.