Protein shakes/drinks

Options
124»

Replies

• thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I just started drinking the EAS Myoplex shakes (this is day 4) and have found the smell of the chocolate fudge a little much to take. Keep the great ideas coming and thanks for sharing your information and passion.
  • mixtaplix
    mixtaplix Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard - double chocolate. Don't know the stats off the top of my head, but it was low carbs, low sugar, and (i think) about 24g protein per scoop.
    I can't believe the awesome taste. I remember when I took protein in high school how badly it tasted....this stuff with milk tastes like a great glass of chocolate milk IMO. And it dissolves so well. I hated the clumpiness of the older stuff. :)
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options

so let me get this straight...in your eyes it would be just as efficient for me to wake up and pound down 4000 calories in one meal then just not eat anything the rest of the day, maybe skip food all together a few days and I would still be fine...thats insane, no good trainer would say such things

Don't delve into extremes. Everything breaks down when you go into extremes in the nutritional world. Now, let's say you haven't ate all day, hypothetically. There is nothing wrong with consuming all your calories in a single. There are some issues with one meal a day but the idea is that meal frequency is not as important as it is made to be. More importantly, you do not need to worry so much about breakfast unless you're working out in the morning. Even then, some people prefer fasted training with the possibility of BCAA supplementation.

3 square meals a day is just as good, if not better, than 6 meals a day. People need not worry so much about eating constantly. Sometimes it's okay not to eat for an extended period of time without repercussions.

The idea is to suit it to your needs. Optimal protocols rarely yield as much benefits unless you're a true athlete. For your regular, bodybuilding/strength-orientated joe, simplicity is optimality.
  • nszocinski
    nszocinski Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Nu-tek (Hers) in the Chocolate flavor. I add 1/2 scoop to a cup of coffee. If I get a second cup of coffee , I add the other half. Make my coffee a mocha. Also good cold with a little ice frothed in the blender.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    This is what I had this morning.

1/2 c. plain, non-fat Chobani Greek Yogurt (12 g. Protein)
    1 Scoop Designer Whey Protein Powder (18 g. Protein)
    1/2 c. Almond milk

About 200 cals and 30 grams of protein. I like this version better than using plain almond milk, which to me ends up being too sweet. The yogurt gives it a nice, creamy texture and cuts the sweetness. Toss in whatever fruits you want for variations, and especially stuff like bananas and mangoes if you like it a little sweeter.

I'm planning to change my protein powder once I run out of this, to something with no artificial sweetner. Jay Robb is the leading candidate right now.
  • EdaMeda123
    Options
    Syntha shakes - Vanilla and Strawberry are the best! Blend with skim or soy milk, 1tbsp of peanut butter and some frozen fruit or banana. So delic! And very filling.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options

so let me get this straight...in your eyes it would be just as efficient for me to wake up and pound down 4000 calories in one meal then just not eat anything the rest of the day, maybe skip food all together a few days and I would still be fine...thats insane, no good trainer would say such things

Don't delve into extremes. Everything breaks down when you go into extremes in the nutritional world. Now, let's say you haven't ate all day, hypothetically. There is nothing wrong with consuming all your calories in a single. There are some issues with one meal a day but the idea is that meal frequency is not as important as it is made to be. More importantly, you do not need to worry so much about breakfast unless you're working out in the morning. Even then, some people prefer fasted training with the possibility of BCAA supplementation.

3 square meals a day is just as good, if not better, than 6 meals a day. People need not worry so much about eating constantly. Sometimes it's okay not to eat for an extended period of time without repercussions.

The idea is to suit it to your needs. Optimal protocols rarely yield as much benefits unless you're a true athlete. For your regular, bodybuilding/strength-orientated joe, simplicity is optimality.

see that last part is what I was bothered so much by, I consider myself to be a legitimate athlete and therefore at my level I try hard to get every advantage I can my life literally depends on it, but here in afghanistan we eat what we get served and theres no way around that but I try to make do. I myself do sometimes workout in a fasted state in the morning but im talking 5am and Ill still get breakfast in i would never just delay a meal until noon, the issue being I need 4000 calories a day and that sustains my athletic ability my six-pack and a good mood throughout the day, to try and cram that into a couple of meals is totally unrealistic

at any rate I appreciate the way you put it better, see lion head up there just dismissed scientific studies and the idea of getting the right kind of nutrients altogether to claim that total calories is the ONLY thing that matters and nothing else is relevent which is an insult to everything I have worked for, if im wrong then how am I 195 pounds of solid muscle, can dealift over 500 pounds and still run marathons, im living proof my methods work who is anyone to argue with results?? still, thank you for putting that side of the argument into a much more logical point of view
  • nescegirl28
    nescegirl28 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use Syntha-6 strawberry milkshake every morning on my way to work... keeps me full till lunch and takes GREAT!!!!
  • BradyMommy
    BradyMommy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    "I remember hearing about some study about kids and test scores being higher with those kids who ate breakfast compared to the ones that did not have breakfast on the news long ago. It was a nutrition bit they did. Breakfast might be a good idea there if that study still holds true."

The study that most use in this case was done in the Appalachia section of WVa with elementary students that are chronically hungry. So yes, the kids in the study that ate breakfast did better. The assumption is, since the kids didn't have their grumbling belly on their mind they could actually focus on the test in front of them for once . As a teacher, I'm not so sure that it applies to middle class kids who eat regularly and either had a waffle the morning before SATs or not.

But it does lend itself to the "statistics lie" argument and knowing the details/purpose of a study before quoting it on the 6 o'clock news!

Now back to the protein powder suggestions.....
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    see that last part is what I was bothered so much by, I consider myself to be a legitimate athlete and therefore at my level I try hard to get every advantage I can my life literally depends on it, but here in afghanistan we eat what we get served and theres no way around that but I try to make do. I myself do sometimes workout in a fasted state in the morning but im talking 5am and Ill still get breakfast in i would never just delay a meal until noon, the issue being I need 4000 calories a day and that sustains my athletic ability my six-pack and a good mood throughout the day, to try and cram that into a couple of meals is totally unrealistic

A legitimate athlete, to me, is someone who trains multiple times a day and therefore need to take advantage of glycogen replenishment, nutrient timing, etc. I don't think advance principles applies to someone who doesn't train multiple times a day. If you are like this then it i swor

I also don't think it's unrealistic to consume 4000 in two-four meals. Some people do it because they may have a dense-style of cooking or prefer calorically dense foods. But this is entirely preferential. I expect someone to eat the amount of meals they are comfortable and eat in a fashion that allows them perform optimally. My position is simply that a lot of meals and breakfast are not needed and therefore one does not need to worry about these things. This statement is dynamic, though. It changes based on situations and people. The advice I give out on these forums is for a regular joe, not an athlete.
    at any rate I appreciate the way you put it better, see lion head up there just dismissed scientific studies and the idea of getting the right kind of nutrients altogether to claim that total calories is the ONLY thing that matters and nothing else is relevent which is an insult to everything I have worked for, if im wrong then how am I 195 pounds of solid muscle, can dealift over 500 pounds and still run marathons, im living proof my methods work who is anyone to argue with results?? still, thank you for putting that side of the argument into a much more logical point of view

The issue with using yourself as proof of a specific principle working is that there are far too many variables at work to single out a specific one and attribute success to it. But there is importance to more than calories and macronutrients but this is situational. Calories and macronutrients are the foundation and many people end up missing the foundation for the more complex (and sometimes unnecessary) stuff.

Ultimately, I think two things matter: (1) do what works for you and, most importantly, (2) be happy doing it.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options

A legitimate athlete, to me, is someone who trains multiple times a day and therefore need to take advantage of glycogen replenishment, nutrient timing, etc. I don't think advance principles applies to someone who doesn't train multiple times a day. If you are like this then it i swor

I also don't think it's unrealistic to consume 4000 in two-four meals. Some people do it because they may have a dense-style of cooking or prefer calorically dense foods. But this is entirely preferential. I expect someone to eat the amount of meals they are comfortable and eat in a fashion that allows them perform optimally. My position is simply that a lot of meals and breakfast are not needed and therefore one does not need to worry about these things. This statement is dynamic, though. It changes based on situations and people. The advice I give out on these forums is for a regular joe, not an athlete.

The issue with using yourself as proof of a specific principle working is that there are far too many variables at work to single out a specific one and attribute success to it. But there is importance to more than calories and macronutrients but this is situational. Calories and macronutrients are the foundation and many people end up missing the foundation for the more complex (and sometimes unnecessary) stuff.

Ultimately, I think two things matter: (1) do what works for you and, most importantly, (2) be happy doing it.

hmm, I suppose your right, I do tend to focus more toward what athletes do and tend not to focus on the mass majority of people on the forum. I suppose if weight loss is your sole purpose then what you say is correct. also I agree that there are many variables in personal results. well played, still I do what works for me.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I use Jay Robb's Whey protein. I add it in cereal.
  • illunsorcio
    Options
    I use SYNTHA-6 but to add flavor I put in a 1/2 teaspoon of a sugar free jello powder. For example SYNTHA-6 and sugar free orange jello = orange creme pop flavor...
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating 30g of protein at breakfast? You could always skip it and add more edible proteins you like to lunch and/or dinner.

That said, Optimum Nutrition is the only one I'd tried, and it's DELICIOUS! Chocolate and vanilla are both very good blended with milk.
  • jennyn84
    jennyn84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi i have just started slimmm today. I love the mocha it tastes just like a cold milky coffee, and on this hot day it is gratefully received!